Moparts

HID headlight question

Posted By: Carsavior

HID headlight question - 10/10/14 06:13 AM

Putting my new HD headlights in my 98 Ram. Plugged everything up but no high beams. The plug that goes into the old headlight holder only has two wires- the headlight plug on the truck has three. How do these things go bright???
Posted By: herkamer

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 07:08 AM

The cheaper kits generally don't have a high beam. The bulb is only one wattage. Sounds like you need a bi-xenon kit, which moves the position of the bulb to create a simulated high beam. That's what is in my Dakota and works well.

This explains the difference. http://www.ebay.com/gds/Difference-Betwe...19653525/g.html

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 08:29 AM

Sounds like my situation. Cheap maybe but not inexpensive! Can you replace just the bulb and splice into the high beam wire to get high beams?
Posted By: herkamer

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 03:41 PM

No, it has a whole separate controller and motorized bulb to emulate high. I found that I never really needed it, even out in the middle of dark mountain roads. Mine were plenty bright on low.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 03:56 PM

Beware the cheapo kits, they use a cheap, inferior bulb that emits
radiation which will degrade the reflective surface of your OE housing. DAMHIK!!!

Joe
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 04:51 PM

Quote:

Putting my new HD headlights in my 98 Ram. Plugged everything up but no high beams. The plug that goes into the old headlight holder only has two wires- the headlight plug on the truck has three. How do these things go bright???

I've been saving up for these:

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2G.RAM.RETRO

Are these the ones you're having trouble with?

Robert

Attached picture 8296416-retroshophid.JPG

Re: HID headlight question - 10/10/14 06:12 PM

Look like that but they have a row of LEE'S between headlight and turn signal. They are one piece tho.
© 2024 Moparts Forums