Moparts

storing a car on biasply tires

Posted By: hemidart1

storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 06:06 PM

If my car sits unmoved for about 5 months-will it ruin the tires if they are bias ply?
I guess I could move it a few inches back and forth but not sure if that will have any affect.
Posted By: burdar

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 06:10 PM

I parked mine last October and haven't looked at it since. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I need to get the tires off the ground this winter.
Posted By: wingman

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 06:48 PM

Don't know that it will "ruin" them, but the first time you drive it next year you will definitely have to deal with the "thump*thump*thump*thump" for a while going down the road until the flat spots work themselves out. DAMHIK

Probably not a bad idea to put it up on jackstands/blocks, but I don't have as much data to back it up as some of these other guys do...
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 06:56 PM

Shouldnt ruin them but they will likely have flat-spots. Another one of the joys of bias ply tires.
I'd put it up with the tires off the ground.
Posted By: hemidart1

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 06:58 PM

where would you place the jack stands?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 07:11 PM

Under the rear axle spring perches and under the front A arms. that way it puts the weight in the normal places.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 07:28 PM

Racer dudes tend to put stands under the frame to allow the springs to decompress. That's less important in a street car, but a thought.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 09/30/14 07:53 PM

Agreed, keep weight on the suspension.
Posted By: dmoore

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 04:02 AM

http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx
Posted By: dmoore

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 04:07 AM

Use these on two vehicles the last two years with no flat spot issues....extremely simple alternative that works!
Posted By: sogtx

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 04:12 AM

Nothin a couple smoky burnout scant fix

Attached picture 8286731-image.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 04:17 AM

the obvious solution to the problem. spin the rubber to true them round again.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 05:39 PM

Quote:

If my car sits unmoved for about 5 months-will it ruin the tires if they are bias ply?
I guess I could move it a few inches back and forth but not sure if that will have any affect.

Consider engine and exhaust system damage starting engine to move the car a few inches,,,,you should always do a through warm up when starting an engine that is to be not started again for any extended period. Especially in cold weather.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 05:53 PM

Flat spots are NOT a function of the tire being biasply, it has to do with what it is made of. Tires with nylon will flat spot, and most of the polyglas tires shouldn't.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

Consider engine and exhaust system damage starting engine to move the car a few inches,,,,you should always do a through warm up when starting an engine that is to be not started again for any extended period. Especially in cold weather.

I just put mine in neutral to roll it throughout the winter months...no need to start it.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: storing a car on biasply tires - 10/01/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

Nothin a couple smoky burnout scant fix

Agreed that will HEAT them up and round them off

MLR426
© 2024 Moparts Forums