Moparts

AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals?

Posted By: Kelob_pie

AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 02:08 AM

Hey Guys-
I was going to send out my 69 Coronet bumpers for rechroming at $400 each, and I see AMD sells these bumpers for $369 ea.
Anyone ever use one of their bumpers? Any good, or junk?
Kind of a toss up now, don't know what to do. Thanks for any feedback!
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 03:15 AM

if your bumpers are straight..rechrome..
Posted By: TJP

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 03:46 AM

I agree X 2 unless they've been flattened by a locomotive, Even if they have

and suggest Tri city plating,

Posted By: ahy

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 03:59 AM

Tri City did a nice job on mine...
Posted By: BDW

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 04:19 AM

If you can really get them done for that price.
It was almost 2x price difference for my Challenger front bumper.

I went AMD and it's awesome, wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7966478&Main=7966329
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 05:46 AM

If yours are salvable re-chrome them. I got mine done at MJB chrome in Railto CA. http://mjbchrome.com/. one was straight the other was pretty twisted straightening and plating was $360 and $500.

I purchased the rear AMD, chrome was nice fitment not so. here some pictures of the AMD.

Fitment...

Posted By: gdonovan

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 11:06 AM

The front bumper for my GTX from AMD was superb. See Jeff at 521 Restorations.
Posted By: jose jones

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 06:08 PM

If the originals are salvageable I would get them re chromed, AMD bumpers are ok, but a original piece for about 40 bucks more than a repo, I go for the original
Posted By: Silver70

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 06:18 PM

I've used amd and they fit and look good... I chose them over rehchroming my originals for my satellite. Then I don't have to ship them or drive them somewhere then wait who knows how long. If I was doing a high dollar car that was all original, then I'd go rehcrome.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/12/14 06:20 PM

I used AMD 's for both the bumpers on my '68 GTX.

Not sorry I did as they are pretty nice.....especially when you consider that they were under $800 for both and rechromed originals were going to cost in the $2000 range.

I think because of the fact that no newer vehicles use chromed exterior parts anymore, the platers now can only cater to us guys that restore vehicles....hence the high prices.

20 years ago, you could get a b body bumper straightened and rechromed for 200 bucks.
Posted By: Fern

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/15/14 01:57 AM

I got AMD rear bumper for my challenger. I took 3 bumpers before I got a good one, not great. I got a Keystone front bumper and it was 100 times better than the AMD.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/15/14 03:37 AM

Curious. Has the "going rate" for rechrome gone up that much? $400/ea?

I had my original '65 Satellite's done a few years ago now, rechrome and straightened. I believe it was $265/each. Keystone, a local parts distributor handled them. Took 3-4 months, but I'm very happy with the results.

I'm looking to do my '67 Satellites this winter… dang, this is pricey.
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/15/14 01:21 PM

Rechromed the one you have. You won't have to worry about fit as long as it fits good now.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: AMD bumpers or rechrome my originals? - 09/15/14 01:30 PM

Quote:

Rechromed the one you have. You won't have to worry about fit as long as it fits good now.

Just poor chrome finish/peeling/spiderwebbing later.

I had zero issues with the front AMD bumper of my GTX and the finish was outstanding. The re-chrome on the back? Not so much, I'd say I'll never go re-chrome again but have no choice for rear bumper on my '67 Dart. Front 67-69 Dart AMD unit already purchased.

At least in my case I had no issues with AMD bumpers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums