Moparts

Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans

Posted By: MrRico

Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 03:01 PM

I'm rebuilding a 1994 46RH transmission in a truck I bought, it wouldn't drive when I brought it home so I don't know if these solenoids work at all. Is there a way to test them before I reinstall them? They are the overdrive and t/c lock up solenoids, it doesn't have any others in it.

thanks.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 03:18 PM

Ohm them out or apply power and ground momemtarily and listen/feel for the "click'. that's about all you can do on the bench.

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 05:50 PM

Any idea as to how many ohms they need to measure out to?
Posted By: 383man

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 06:37 PM

I dont remember the ohm spec but ohm all of them as I believe they should all be about the same. If one is way off it may be bad or of course if its an open circuit its a problem. Seems to me 15 to 30 ohms or somewhere in that area was what I used to get. If you plug in the solenoid pack on the car and then unhook the trans relay and trans controller you can ohm from the relay power wire that powers the solenoids to each solenoid at the trans controller plug. Course having the wire diagrahm will help. I have them around here somewhere but would have to dig them up. Ron

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 07:39 PM

Thank you Ron. I stl have them on the table so no need to go tracking diagrams down right now. I just don't want to go all the way back together with it not knowing if they are bad.

Thank you guys very much. I have gotten into Harleys the past 5 years so I haven't been here much at all but I still have my cars and trucks.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/09/14 11:27 PM

An RH has solenoids? I thought that was RE territory.

Kevin
Posted By: 383man

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/10/14 12:05 AM

I am sorry as I dont know why but I am thinking FWD intrepid. A RWD RH would just have the lock-up and overdrive solenoids. Sorry. Ron

Re: Testing shift solenoids in a 94, 46 RH trans - 09/10/14 05:29 AM

Thats right all it has are lock up and o/d solenoids but you gotta drain and refill to change them because they are on the side of the valve body. if I can test them to make sure they are good/bad I can save time and money not to mention extra mess and damage a bad solenoid might cause on a new trans rebuild.
© 2024 Moparts Forums