Moparts

Techniques to look for exhaust leaks.

Posted By: west

Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 01:45 AM

Looking for any tips to track down a possible exhaust leak. I am getting a ticking sound and want to check the header gaskets. I have a stethoscope but I thought I would check to see if someone has a better approach. Thanks.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 01:50 AM

Quote:

Looking for any tips to track down a possible exhaust leak. I am getting a ticking sound and want to check the header gaskets. I have a stethoscope but I thought I would check to see if someone has a better approach. Thanks.

a little ATF down the carb will show you but would do it by ear.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 01:56 AM

Use a wet/dry vacuum and connect the hose to the outlet of the vacuum and into the tail pipe. Seal the hose in the exhaust pipe to minimize leakage. You will have to block off the other side of the dual exhaust as well to help build pressure. Then you can use soap/water solution which will bubble up where leaking. If a large enough leak you should be able feel it with your hands.
Ron
Posted By: ahy

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 01:56 AM

By ear or finding a "soot trail" or "heat trail" works for me.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 02:31 AM

Have someone hold a big wadded up rag over the tailpipe while the engine runs and just listen. Be careful as the rag will get hot quick. You'll find more leaks than you thought you had
Keith
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 02:35 AM

With a COLD engine have someone start it and run you hand around the area you suspect and you should feel the pressure of the escaping exhaust. You may only have a minute or so to do it so be ready when you fire it up. If nothing up top put the car on jack stands and repeat. If it is headers with 1/4 flanges then you need gaskets at the heads and at the collectors and then retest.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 02:36 AM

We just use a length of small rubber hose, like vacuum hose. Put one end to your ear and put the other end along the exhaust joints and connections. When you get near the leak, you will know it.

If need be, you can twist a piece of solid wire around the hose so that it can be bent into 90*s and such to get at the spots underneath things.

Posted By: burdar

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 05:31 AM

You'll find it easily with the stethoscope. I pulled off the normal attachment on the end of mine and put a piece of brake line on it. I bent the brake line at an angle so I could reach around to the bottom side of the manifolds.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 06:37 AM

Get the feeler gauges out...

Beyond that, your 'old' gaskets will tell you if yer sealed...
Posted By: 383man

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 07:32 AM

Quote:

You'll find it easily with the stethoscope. I pulled off the normal attachment on the end of mine and put a piece of brake line on it. I bent the brake line at an angle so I could reach around to the bottom side of the manifolds.

Thats what I do. I just use the hose part as its just like using a piece of vacum hose up to your ear and you will know when you find it. Best way I found to track down an exh leak. Ron
Posted By: west

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 07:52 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/03/14 04:28 PM

maybe try running the car in a very dark area, rev it up and see where the flames come out.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Techniques to look for exhaust leaks. - 09/04/14 05:51 PM

Buy a big potato and have a friend stuff it in the exhaust pipe.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums