Moparts

Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!!

Posted By: ccdave

Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 05:57 AM

This seems overvealming but is their any easy way to replace the heater core in a 1970 challenger 440 with original AC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: BDW

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 11:13 AM

No, pull dash, then remove AC box and then heater core.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 01:41 PM

And yet another car gets the looped heater hose treatment.
Posted By: bri440

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 03:09 PM

I've got a 71 Challenger with factory AC. I did not need to remove the dash to pull the Heater/AC box. Unbolt it from the firewall, disconnect the hoses, pull the vent hoses, and remove the fan. The unit slips out underneath the dash. It's tight, but I could wiggle it out.

Good Luck.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 03:23 PM

Quote:

I've got a 71 Challenger with factory AC. I did not need to remove the dash to pull the Heater/AC box. Unbolt it from the firewall, disconnect the hoses, pull the vent hoses, and remove the fan. The unit slips out underneath the dash. It's tight, but I could wiggle it out.

Good Luck.

That's right, you must remove the plastic trim across the bottom of the dash that AC cars have also. It not too bad to do. Might as well get some gaskets from DMT because they will need to be replaced from age.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 03:32 PM

On my '70 440 'Cuda with air I removed the box without removing the dash. Take it out the bottom as suggested. Tight fit but it will come out.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 08:11 PM

It might not be a bad idea to take out the seat to give your self a little more room to work.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 08:21 PM

Pull the dash...

Then you can put it on the bench and work on it without imitating a contortionist...

Makes life a lot easier...

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 08:23 PM

Quote:

It might not be a bad idea to take out the seat to give your self a little more room to work.

Good idea...also might have to take the console out if it has one I believe?

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 08:30 PM

Quote:

Pull the dash...

Then you can put it on the bench and work on it without imitating a contortionist...

Makes life a lot easier...

Definitely if your replacing the dash pad(I've done it both ways)
But he's only needs to get to the heater/ac box, then you don't need to do the whole dash.

I think you can remove just the inner portion of the heater box and not even remove it from the firewall and get to it?

But at this age it's gonna need door gaskets at the least to work efficiently.

Pulling the whole dash is tons more work than necessary for a heater core replacement imo.

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/30/14 08:38 PM

Here's what one looks like freshly cracked open after 40 years full of paint over spray, dirt, dust and leaves. Most of the insulating foam is gone on the doors.

. This is mine before I took it apart. If you left the firewall part in place then you wouldn't have to break the AC lines open...back in the day I'm thinking?

Posted By: ccdave

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/31/14 06:26 AM

Thanks for the advice and pics. Seats and center console are coming out. Looking forward to getting this fixed
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/31/14 06:42 AM

Your next problem is getting a heater core. I was going to replace mine but wound up having the old one boiled out and pressure tested as the replacement cores are not nearly as substantial as the originals. I was worried that it would metal fatigue as the mount was not as mechanically sound as it should be, IMO.
As mentioned before, get the DMT kit. It was easy to install and replaced a lot of foam powder that was all that was left from the original heater.
Craig

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/31/14 05:54 PM

Quote:

Your next problem is getting a heater core. I was going to replace mine but wound up having the old one boiled out and pressure tested as the replacement cores are not nearly as substantial as the originals. I was worried that it would metal fatigue as the mount was not as mechanically sound as it should be, IMO.
As mentioned before, get the DMT kit. It was easy to install and replaced a lot of foam powder that was all that was left from the original heater.
Craig

Back in 2005 Car Quest got me this heater core replacement. It seems to be a exact replacement fit wise and has been good since. It does have more rows of tubes, probably thinner than original?

And a place called Polar Bear in Fla sold me a replacement evaporator that fit and works great.

The old evaporator was slightly different, but the new was easy to fit up to the old box and freezes you out of the car.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 08/31/14 06:16 PM

For just a heater core replacement, No way would I pull the dash.

as mentioned ,,,pull the pass side seat,right kick panel and the lower trim along the bottom of the dash. ( I doubt removing the console would matter match either way)

roll the ac box out from under the dash and rebuild it on the bench. I think trying to split the box while in the car is way more difficult than us old guys want to deal with .
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 09/02/14 01:23 PM

One thing I do when I do heater cores is that after all gaskets internal and external are replaced, which you are going to do, is I get out a hand held vacuum pump and move all the doors to make sure they move freely. If not, I trim the new foam where necessary or replace the vacuum operators.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 09/04/14 08:35 PM

When I replaced the heater core on my Brand F ponycar I had to pull the dash. While you do not have to, you may want too consider this. I took the opportunity to tighten every bolt and nut in the dash assembly to ensure a rattle free dash.

Anyy my job was on my DD, so I had to get it done.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 09/04/14 09:22 PM

Another vote for leaving the dash intact. Disturbing a wiring harness and your gauge connections will risk adding to your nightmare unless you plan a full tilt refurbishing. DMTs gasket sets are great. Just make sure you take lots of pictures as out disassemble because the kit instructions only include pictures of correct gasket and seal locations and not reassembly instructions. Get a FSM so you can calibrate the external linkage correctly. Pull both cowl vent hoses and vacuum out your cowl. You won't believe the crap you find. Wear a mask when you disassemble. Nasty, loose fiberglass rust and ancient dirt and leaves and crap await.
Consider flushing your AC core while it's out. Pour in a quart of mineral spirits. Let soak, slush it about. Blow it out with compressed air. Follow up with a quart of lacquer thinner and do the same. Blow it out real good and leave it out so all will completely evaporate before reassembly.
Posted By: 68Bullet

Re: Heater core is leaking! E body with air !!!! Help!!!!! - 09/06/14 02:01 AM

Here's a little food for thought. I had to do the same job on my 68 B body w/ AC. I could not find a replacement heater core anywhere. Everyone carried the non-AC heater core, but nobody had the AC version. I ended up getting a custom one supplied by one of the aftermarket AC shops (I believe it was classic auto air). Cost over $400. Now I didn't pull the dash but was still a pain to change the core. When all was said and done, I realized I just don't really drive the car enough to need heat (although I do live in CA).

Just sayin, definitely think about how much you use the climate controls before going through all the effort. I personally feel the money woulda been better spent on the AC, since I typically take the muscle car out on nice days.

Also, if you DO want heat and AC you should consider yanking your whole box and putting in like a classic auto air or vintage auto air replacement box. Then EVERYTHING is new and works awesome. No nickel and diming replacing this and that 40 year old broken part. And the new climate boxes can be purchased servo controlled so no more vacuum leaks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums