Moparts

broken rocker on 440

Posted By: adown

broken rocker on 440 - 08/30/14 02:22 AM

Hi everyone, I have a 440 in my boat. I lost oil pressure and the pump looked good so I started searching the web and found this site. Someone said to look for lifters out of their hole. Thats what it was. I have a broken rocker and 1 bent push rod. My problem is, the push rod next to it is also out of its lifter. It is not bent, nor is the other rocker arm broken. The piston hasnt been hit. How could the push rod have come out without something braking or being lose. Thanks, adown
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: broken rocker on 440 - 08/30/14 02:42 AM

When the adjacent rocker broke it could have and probably did make contact with the next rocker causing the valve and spring to hold open for just a split second letting the pushrod come out. Once the valve and spring remained open for that split second the cam lobe for the good rocker rotated down causing a momentary large gap enabling the pushrod to pop out. :two cents:

Another possibility, when the engine lost oil pressure the other lifters began to collapse creating the same gap large enough to allow the other pushrod to come out. Are you running a hydraulic or solid cam?
Posted By: 68Bullet

Re: broken rocker on 440 - 09/06/14 02:10 AM

One thing to note. I just a single rocker broke and you see no good reason why, you should still replace all of them. I just went through this, replaced just the broken one, and a second broke a week later.
Posted By: TJP

Re: broken rocker on 440 - 09/06/14 03:40 AM

Quote:

One thing to note. I just a single rocker broke and you see no good reason why, you should still replace all of them. I just went through this, replaced just the broken one, and a second broke a week later.

Without more Information, If they are the stock stamped steel ones, Changing the camshaft during a rebuild, can alter the LOAD / Friction points. it's always a good idea to replace them all to prevent the Issue.
© 2024 Moparts Forums