Moparts

Colors of wing cars?

Posted By: 694406

Colors of wing cars? - 08/18/14 07:15 PM

What are the most popular colors of the Daytonas and Superbirds? Thanks!
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/18/14 07:20 PM

I don't think there are any wing car colors that are un-popular.

Most common color on Superbirds is Lemon Twist and Tor-Red. Petty Blue and the FK5 Burnt Orange error color are the hardest to find.

Most common color on Daytonas are R4 red or Hemi Orange.

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/18/14 07:34 PM

Thanks Aero! I guess instead of popular I should've said most produced? We've been getting a lot of requests to do the wing car magnets and we typically like to produce a run of the top 3 most common colors. Do you know off hand of the top 3 for each car?
Thanks!
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/18/14 08:53 PM

Orange , yellow, and blue
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/19/14 01:09 AM

Back in 70 my dealer friend showed me a photo of an entire line of SuperBirds on his dads lot..He said the hardest to unload was a white one and a sublime one...

If I could pick a color on a Daytona it would be QQ1 with white stripe..Or a black car with a red stripe..

On a SuperBird I would have to go with B5
Posted By: jaque

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/19/14 03:11 AM

ANY IN FM3??

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/19/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

Orange , yellow, and blue

I assume these are the Superbird colors as I rarely see yellow or blue Daytonas.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/19/14 04:58 AM

This is close.

http://www.brcook.com/id14.html
Posted By: steve70

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/19/14 12:43 PM

I'll take one in any color.

Attached picture 8245152-SuperbirdColorscopy.jpg

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 02:52 AM

That helps with the birds but what about the Daytonas?
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 05:02 AM

Quote:

ANY IN FM3??

Nope... A13 Superbird production ended in Dec 1969 ..FM3 was introduced in Feb 1970 .

Greg
Posted By: CUDASROCK

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 05:13 AM

this one

Attached picture 8246112-MOPARFEST2007006.jpg

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

this one

Glad they didn't do that one !!
Posted By: jaque

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 06:13 AM

Quote:

this one

LOVE IT
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 06:40 PM

Ive asked before but no answer, Why was there NO black TX9 Superbirds?
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 06:44 PM

Quote:

They may have picked the colors to simplify manufacturing and not have to deal with so many different colors as on the Daytonas. But why no black is a mystery to me, considering they did white.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/20/14 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They may have picked the colors to simplify manufacturing and not have to deal with so many different colors as on the Daytonas. But why no black is a mystery to me, considering they did white.

especially since they did black on the Daytona
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 01:01 PM

I wonder why they didn't choose FC7 "in violet" for the Birds as the colour was really popular in the 1970 model year

Carsten
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 04:46 PM

Chrysler only built Super Birds as they were forced to by NASCAR so Richard Petty and other could race them, I doubt Chrysler gave a rats behind what color consumers had to choose from, but black would look really great on one, they were not popular as some sat on dealer lots for several years while new, I had a B-5 blue one in the 90's I almost painted it plum crazy, I knew I would get killed on the price if I ever sold it, Being a color they never made
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 04:50 PM

well the ones ive seen,or been around seem to be painted orange/red(daytonas)...and blue/red for superbirds.

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 04:51 PM

ohhh and 1 green daytona. which sems to be a rare color to me.and 1 fm3 superbird convertable replics...soo i guess orange/red for 69 daytonas....and blue/red for 70 superbirds seem to have been the most popular
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 06:15 PM

Quote:

Chrysler only built Super Birds as they were forced to by NASCAR so Richard Petty and other could race them, I doubt Chrysler gave a rats behind what color consumers had to choose from, but black would look really great on one, they were not popular as some sat on dealer lots for several years while new, I had a B-5 blue one in the 90's I almost painted it plum crazy, I knew I would get killed on the price if I ever sold it, Being a color they never made

There is factory documentation that clearly shows Superbirds having the ordering option of any color choice that was available on the 70 Plymouth line....now as to why the dealers never promoted it?, or were even made aware of it? perhaps they didn't want to be straddled with "lot vultures" as these cars new weren't readily accepted by the buying public, and they were just interested in moving the cars allotted to them...there have been rumors from day one of black and In-Violet Superbirds

Attached picture 8252202-blackbird.jpg

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 06:49 PM

yup,ive hear of orig black,pink...and even seen in mag pics of 1 root bear color superbird,that i thought had come from the factory.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is factory documentation that clearly shows Superbirds having the ordering option of any color choice that was available on the 70 Plymouth line....now as to why the dealers never promoted it?, or were even made aware of it? perhaps they didn't want to be straddled with "lot vultures" as these cars new weren't readily accepted by the buying public, and they were just interested in moving the cars allotted to them...there have been rumors from day one of black and In-Violet Superbirds

Mike it that Fred's car ??
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/26/14 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chrysler only built Super Birds as they were forced to by NASCAR so Richard Petty and other could race them, I doubt Chrysler gave a rats behind what color consumers had to choose from, but black would look really great on one, they were not popular as some sat on dealer lots for several years while new, I had a B-5 blue one in the 90's I almost painted it plum crazy, I knew I would get killed on the price if I ever sold it, Being a color they never made [/qu

I was 13 when the Chrysler rep. came in my Dad's dealership, The rep and my Dad were talking in the showroom about the new Superbirds, The factory rep was basically begging my Dad to take a few of them, I remember dad saying he couldn't sell one and politely told the rep no.
This could be the main reason why they are in the colors everyone knows, There are 3 that were painted burnt orange by mistake that I have heard of,The factory needed to get them built so Petty could race one and NASCAR would approve it, A plum crazy bird would look awesome, I was unaware you could order a different color

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/27/14 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chrysler only built Super Birds as they were forced to by NASCAR so Richard Petty and other could race them, I doubt Chrysler gave a rats behind what color consumers had to choose from, but black would look really great on one, they were not popular as some sat on dealer lots for several years while new, I had a B-5 blue one in the 90's I almost painted it plum crazy, I knew I would get killed on the price if I ever sold it, Being a color they never made [/qu

I was 13 when the Chrysler rep. came in my Dad's dealership, The rep and my Dad were talking in the showroom about the new Superbirds, The factory rep was basically begging my Dad to take a few of them, I remember dad saying he couldn't sell one and politely told the rep no.
This could be the main reason why they are in the colors everyone knows, There are 3 that were painted burnt orange by mistake that I have heard of,The factory needed to get them built so Pety could race one and NASCAR would approve it, A plum crazy bird would look awesome, I was unaware you could order a different color

Attached picture 8252614-P8260690.JPG
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/27/14 04:22 AM

Official 'options' vs. '999'...

Nothing would surprise me...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/27/14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Official 'options' vs. '999'...

Nothing would surprise me...

Usually the 99/999 Superbirds are Petty Blue, the Burnt Orange birds (3 to date) fall under "Dealer Inquiry Service Order #4923" for optional color request, IIRC they are not coded 99/999

There's always a few oddball wingcars that pop up with supposedly "non available" options...there's a fully documented B5 Superbird with a B5 matching bucket seat interior
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Colors of wing cars? - 08/27/14 11:19 AM

the FK5 Bird in the Don Garlits Museum has "FK5" on the tag and not "999".

Carsten
© 2024 Moparts Forums