Moparts

Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q.

Posted By: 68Bullit

Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q. - 08/05/14 06:29 PM

what causes the leak from the upper part of the phenolic body/bowl? I've tried to use the carb a few times and it won't go beyond a mile or so, before I pop the hood and see gas coming from the top bowl area.

Car has mild 360. What to check? And how to fix?

Thanks
Posted By: 74Charger

Re: Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q. - 08/05/14 07:46 PM

Phenolic body is likely warped a bit. Use some "Seal-All" sealer between gasket and bowl. Let it set-up for a couple of days before introducing fuel. This has worked more than once.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q. - 08/05/14 08:19 PM

Float set too high?

R.
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q. - 08/05/14 08:46 PM

Quote:

Float set too high?

R.

I think this could be it, as the carb is really clean and has new parts. I just haven't used it really since I got it rebuilt a few years back. So with this, I'm hoping it isn't warped.

Instructions on checking float height?

Thanks
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Leak from phenolic bowl- Carter T.Q. - 08/06/14 12:14 AM

So just to be clear here, you are saying you have fuel dripping out from the main/primary venturi boosters? As in, it's trickling out regardless of how much the throttle is open?

If YES, then yeah, floats being set too low may be the cause. Here is what you do:

1) take carb apart
2) flip the top part upside down, leave gasket in place
3) measure the distance between the gasket and the top of the float, that is usually 29/32 or 1"
4) adjust the float arm as needed, do NOT force against the inlet needle while adjusting
5) re-assemble, pay attention to the main well seals (see below)

When you re-assemble the darn thing make sure you have the round or square (cross section) seals in the main booster well, so that the spot in the phenolic body where the main primary jets go into at the bottom you should place these 2 seals (1 on each side). These seals make sure the primary circuit is only getting fuel metered by the metering rods/main jet, as opposed to any fuel being present in the phenolic body.

Take a peek at this diagram, hopefully it helps a bit to put things into perspective.

© 2024 Moparts Forums