Moparts

Doug's vs. TTI

Posted By: 74-440Charger

Doug's vs. TTI - 08/04/14 03:55 AM

Looking for a new set of 2" hedders for a RB stoked to 505 CI with EZ heads. They will be going in a third gen Charger. Are the TTI worth the extra $$?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/04/14 04:18 AM

IMHO the quality between the 2 is very comparable.
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/04/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Looking for a new set of 2" hedders for a RB stoked to 505 CI with EZ heads. They will be going in a third gen Charger. Are the TTI worth the extra $$?

no

Joey
Posted By: 383man

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/04/14 05:47 AM

I have not used Doug's so I cant say for them but I really like my TTI's. I know Gus uses Doug's in his 64 and he speaks very highly of them so I have to think they are both good headers. Ron
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/04/14 06:00 AM

Eddy heads with 2 inch TTI on 512 e body. Spark plug access is excellent.

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 12:06 AM

Thanks for the replies, sure miss the days of the local speed shop where you could look at stuff before you buy.

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 12:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies, sure miss the days of the local speed shop where you could look at stuff before you buy.

You remember them days too ? The good old days. Ron

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 01:55 AM

Yea, guess I'm dating myself lol. Miss those days a lot. On-line is handy, but still rather go down to the speed shop and talk to folks I know, be able to open a box and look at the part.

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 04:21 AM

Grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a kid remember many long hours hanging out at the corner speed shop,,,Speedway Motors,,,some of you may have known early employees Jerry Jantzen, Marti Bassett, Johnny Marsh, and of course Speedy Bill Smith(who passed a couple of months ago). He left quite a legacy particularly in circle track racing early on before anyone knew much about it,,,and of course one of, if not the largest(Summit?) automotive speed and high performance parts suppliers in the world. Certainly influenced my later life and my love of old cars and making them go fast and look good.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 04:46 AM

Huh! What speed shop would have any Mopar parts in stock ?!?!? You could look at all the small block Chevy stuff but what good would that do you ?

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 08:54 AM

Quote:

Huh! What speed shop would have any Mopar parts in stock ?!?!? You could look at all the small block Chevy stuff but what good would that do you ?

Maybe this

Attached picture 8230601-image.jpg
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 09:03 AM

I have TTI headers and I love them. I never had Doug`s so I can`t compare the two.
Quote:

I used to love going to Coleman Brothers Speed Shop. I remember having to wait/stand in line because they were so busy. Yep those were the days.
Posted By: jbeintherockies

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 03:39 PM

I have Doug's on my Barracuda. You can hear the "ticking" sound that mopars make with the Doug's headers. I was told the ticking sound is not an exhaust leak, but a byproduct of the firing order. That same person told me you won't hear that when using the TTI's. He told me Doug's are cheap headers and the TTI's are better. He runs a Mopar shop here in CO and has been in business for 30 years or so.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

I have Doug's on my Barracuda. You can hear the "ticking" sound that mopars make with the Doug's headers. I was told the ticking sound is not an exhaust leak, but a byproduct of the firing order. That same person told me you won't hear that when using the TTI's. He told me Doug's are cheap headers and the TTI's are better. He runs a Mopar shop here in CO and has been in business for 30 years or so.

There are Dougs and then there are Doug Thorleys. Very different company's. There is nothing cheap about Dougs.

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 05:53 PM

Quote:

I have TTI headers and I love them. I never had Doug`s so I can`t compare the two.
Quote:

I used to love going to Coleman Brothers Speed Shop. I remember having to wait/stand in line because they were so busy. Yep those were the days.

Yes I remember Coleman Bros and Earl Beck's speed shop also. Here near me in north east Balt county we have one speed shop left. Thats Md Performance owned by Tom Vanpopel and he has been around a long time. He has very competitive prices with Jegs and Summit as I guess he had to so he could keep his shop going. I prefer to buy from him because I usually dont have to wait for parts and if I do he dont charge shipping and its close to my home. But I dont know of any other in my area. Ron

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There are Dougs and then there are Doug Thorleys. Very different company's. There is nothing cheap about Dougs.

I have to agree as I use TTI's and love them but the cars I look at with Doug's look like they are first class headers to me. Ron
Posted By: jbeintherockies

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/05/14 10:03 PM

Doug's Headers:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Dougs-Headers/Dougs-Headers-for-Dodge-Plymouth-Passenger-Cars/763754/10002/-1

TTI's headers:
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-ClassicHeaders/340-Step/TTi340.htm

Same flange thickness (3/8") and tube thickness (16-guage). TTI's are stepped and cost a little more.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/06/14 11:20 PM

Doug's headers are a little bit less money but the same quality IMHO.
I run a 143 tooth flywheel with a steel can and the Doug's D-452 headers fit perfectly. I just needed to remove the grease fitting from my pitman arm and put a few notches in the flange of my bell.
Gus

Attached picture 8232206-IMG_0020.JPG
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/07/14 12:47 AM

I love my TTI headers. I was thinking of trying Dougs next time. But the price difference isn't that much anymore.
Lincoln NE? Do you remember Raceland? Always had to stop there when I was in town.

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/07/14 01:17 AM

They do look good in there. I have pwr steering so fitment is going to be important as I don't have a ton of room on the left side. I'm leaning towards TTI probably, maybe...(we need a coin flipping shruggy)

Re: Doug's vs. TTI - 08/07/14 01:20 AM

Quote:

I love my TTI headers. I was thinking of trying Dougs next time. But the price difference isn't that much anymore.
Lincoln NE? Do you remember Raceland? Always had to stop there when I was in town.

I know that I have heard Raceland in some context, just can' t remember what. Remember Capitol Beach speedway, Denton and Eagle for stock car and super modifieds. Also Lincoln's B-47 base drag strip and Omaha's Offutt Field strip and Grand Island. Left Lincoln in 1968,,, still have close family there.

Kind of a hot bed of legit tracks for a relatively small population back then,,,hence Speedway Motors I guess.
© 2024 Moparts Forums