Moparts

Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 12:40 AM

Very productive day in the garage, getting close to the first drive of the Dart and on the last stud I was tightening on the rear wheel, the flipping stud spun on me and the nut won't back off.

A little background... the rear brakes are Ford disk brakes. The nuts are acorn style (closed) with a lock nut (which requires a key) for each wheel.

Tightening them on by hand, thought it was tightening fine, but stud started spinning. All I can imagine is that the splines on the back side of the stud have not engaged the disk. Nut was going on a little tight (just beyond what I could do with my fingers), so now I can't back it off either because the stud is spinning.

All I can think to do is remove the other 4 nuts and "wedge" between the mounting face of the wheel and disk hat to hopefully get the stud splines to grab.

This is on a D60 with Torino ends for the disk kit.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 01:38 AM

IF........You can wedge a bit of pressure on the nut/stud and use a high rpm air gun..the lugnut may back off...small prybar..careful not to damage wheel....

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 01:43 AM

Wheel damage is the biggest concern since these are custom offset wheels.

There is no thread showing. The only place I have to wedge is on the "hat" of the disk between the face of the wheel.

Wish me luck...
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 02:14 AM

Just pull on the wheel opposite where the stud is while you try to undo that lug nut. (With other 4 nuts already removed now)

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 02:25 AM

Tried that... no luck. I am done for today. Tried the impact too, no luck. No good way to wedge anything between the wheel and disk.

This could not be any worse. The nut is on far enough that there are no threads showing and the wheel is pretty much seated against the disk. Very little wiggle room. The nut is into the taper/seat of the wheel.

I can't believe this. I guess I never put a nut on that stud in the 10 years this rear has been under the car. Only ever used three as I was just rolling the car around.

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 02:38 AM

you'll need a 3rd hand but if 4lugs are off, use the tire/wheel for leverage on the stud and try the impact
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 02:38 AM

Use a die grinder with a carbide burr and just grind away at it until the nut is gone.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 03:16 AM

Quote:

Use a die grinder with a carbide burr and just grind away at it until the nut is gone.

I had to use a die grinder once.....got the nut off but did put a couple knicks in the wheel. Luckily the wheel was not that nice anyhow. Good luck!
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 03:43 AM

Here is your best tip: Take a center punch and mark the middle of the nut or stud,whichever is exposed. Now drill down the middle of it until its gone. Had this happen years ago with a nice Keystone wheel , no damage.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 03:47 AM

Quote:

Tightening them on by hand, thought it was tightening fine, but stud started spinning. All I can imagine is that the splines on the back side of the stud have not engaged the disk.

The splines do not engage the disc, they engage the axle flange. Sounds like you have the wrong stud, or a wallered out hole.

Can you get to the back side of the stud at all? Since you were only hand tightening it you might be able to pry on the backside enough to unthread the nut.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you get to the back side of the stud at all? Since you were only hand tightening it you might be able to pry on the backside enough to unthread the nut.

That is what I was about to suggest. It's probably going to be cheaper to "modify" whatever is in the way on the back side than it would be to ruin that custom wheel. Good luck!

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 04:19 AM

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I meant to say axle flange, not disk.

This stuff is all brand new. I am thinking the stud was not seated/pulled into the axle flange, hence the issue.

It happens to to be the key nut, so that complicates things more.

I'm not sure if I can get to the back of the stud or not. Possibly if I destroy the disk dust shield. But the parking brake shoes, etc. might get in the way as they are internal design.

I don't see a way to grind the nut off. I'll get a shot with the camera tomorrow, but I am dealing with American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels, 11" wide with 5.5" backspacing.

Might be able to drill it out... not sure yet. Definitely no burs and/or grinding especially since the nut is nearly seated in the taper.

PITA.

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 04:30 AM

Snapped some pics... Not sure, but thinking if I can get a porta power or something between the wheel and the disk and put some pressure against the wheel hoping to pull the stud into the flange. Long shot.

Attached picture 8221775-IMG_8039.JPG

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 04:31 AM

Attached picture 8221779-IMG_8035.JPG

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 04:31 AM

Attached picture 8221781-IMG_8034.JPG
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 04:53 AM

Mm that's ugly.
I was going to suggest drilling a hole in the stud and pounding an Allen wrench in the hole to hold the stud. That may be hard to drill through the end of the keyed nut, then a bigger hole in the nut so it will spin around the wrench.
Posted By: Meangreen68

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 05:03 AM

Start masking that wheel off with layers of duct tape. Wrap shim stock in areas where a cutter may nick if you accidentally lose control. Take a chisel and break off the center of the lug nut. Use a carbide burr until you can peel off that junk.

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 07:04 PM

Could also (possibly) grind the tbolt heads at the back of the housing flange. I think then the whole wheel, disk, and axle assemble should pull out.

I really hope I can just get the stud bound up in some way to allow me to back the nut off without going to extreme measures.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 07:12 PM

Is the rear end an 8 3/4? If not, can you just pull the axle?
Posted By: skicker

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 07:20 PM

I've used a chisel before and split the side of the nut from the front to the back and got it off. The TTII wheels are very tight around the studs. Patience will be the key here...
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 10:01 PM

Quote:

How would you gain access to the five bolt axle flange with the wheel and rotor in front of it ?
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/28/14 11:40 PM

Die Grinder time, with a carbide bit.
One of these, or similar tool.

Attached picture 8222535-DieGrinderMACTOOLS001(Small).JPG
Posted By: moparborn

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 12:25 AM

Put 2 other nuts loose on opposite the bad one and lower some of the weight of the car down on it to pin the stud tight.

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How would you gain access to the five bolt axle flange with the wheel and rotor in front of it ?

simple...you need to REMOVE the wheel....and that's where we are stuck
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 12:49 AM

He said it had disc brakes, I wonder if there is any clearance to maybe do something like putting a welding rod in to give it a little tack weld?
Posted By: Telvis

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 12:54 AM

Quote:

Put 2 other nuts loose on opposite the bad one and lower some of the weight of the car down on it to pin the stud tight.

Posted By: roe

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 01:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: brads70

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 02:00 AM

"IF" it just not seated and there are still splines left, try welding a length of threaded rod on the nut and using a slide hammer try and seat the stud? Put two nuts on the threaded rod first just in case it works so you can jam them together to turn off the nut. If it's all stripped and/or wallowed out this won't work though.
Just a thought?

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 02:19 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. However, still nothing.

I just attempted a slide hammer with a steel bar across the two spokes spanning the nut. Hoping to pull the stud into the flange. No go. Didn't want to beat on it to hard afraid of damaging the wheel. Already started to curl the edge a little. Nothing a file and some polishing won't fix.

The issue with putting the weight of the car on it is that the nut is on so far that it is into the taper of the wheel. So it is not loading the stud, but rather the nut on the taper. Regardless, I tried this, and still no go. Effing thing.

Bout all I can see working is drilling it out. Have to figure out a way to make a good pilot into that key nut, and pray that I don't bust the bit off.

Either that or take a sledge to the car and call the scrap company. Sorry, bad day.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 03:16 AM

drill it..I did it on my sons srt-4
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 06:47 AM

Have you tried bouncing any ideas off anybody at tire store? I would imagine someone has run across this problem before and had a pretty good method of solving his problem without damaging the wheel - specially with all the aftermarket/alloy wheels on cars these days...

Good luck with it.

On mine, I was able to put 3/4" box end wrench (on which I had to remove half of the wrench to get it into the well of the wheel itself between the spokes [AR 200S wheel]) on the nut to keep it from spinning. Then starting drilling (and grinding) (and taking time off for sanity). 3 days later it was off.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

Read what I wrote...

I said if it's NOT an 8 3/4, can you remove the axle?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 06:31 PM

Most of the time you can take a punch and drive the middle nub of those lock nuts all the way through into the space between the top of the stud and the top of the nut. That would let you start a drill with less trouble. We used to do that at used car lots so you could use a 3/8 or 1/2" extension as a key to remove the lock nut if you didn't have a key.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 06:50 PM

Quote:

Die Grinder time, with a carbide bit.
One of these, or similar tool.

I make carbide burrs in all shapes sizes and different cuts. Let me know what size shank you need and I'll make you up a cutter.

Attached picture 8223412-image.jpg
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 06:52 PM

dry ice and a punch works great too
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 07:11 PM

Tack weld a nut to the lugnut or cut it off carefully and replace.

I recently had a similar situation where I used a cutoff wheel on my grinder and cut through the center of the lugnut and lug stud. The stud is easy enough to replace. You may not have as much room with your wheels as I did.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 07:14 PM

Put a couple lugs back on semi-loose. Lower the wheel to touch the ground and to put pressure on the stud to hold it. Try and put the loose stud at the 6 o'clock position. even though the wheel may be hub centric it should put enough pressure on it to hold it. be careful and use an impact to zip the lug off.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/29/14 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This and the impact should be enough, to get this finger tight nut off.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/30/14 03:16 AM

So many people are suggesting things he has already tried. read the thread before you post.

Knock the center out of the locking lug, and drill out the stud. I have removed several screwed up lug nuts this way. Start with a new 1/8" bit at the center of the stud and drill all the way through the stud. Then step up to 1/4" drill bit, again drilling all the way through, then use a 3/8" bit, drill all the way through. If your still centered on the stud, hit it with a 7/16 or a 1/2" drill bit. At some point, the nut will fall off.

When you get it apart, be sure to check the condition of the other studs, if 1 failed, the others can't be much better. Fix the problem before you get to do this with all the lug nuts. Gene
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/30/14 04:51 AM

Quote:

So many people are suggesting things he has already tried. read the thread before you post.

I read where he said he tried that. But, if not done correctly you can have a failed attempt.

This nut was finger tight, if done correctly the suggested fix should work easily. Just trying to emphasize that.

68Dart, Im pretty good at stuff like this, PM me and I will help you with it. Im in canton, myself by the HOF
Posted By: Dave440

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/30/14 06:17 AM

Well...I've got 2 possible ideas.

1. Try getting a Dremel in there sideways with a reinforced fiber wheel and cut through the lock nut and stud. It appears the wheel takes conical seat lugs so once the bulk is gone you should be able to cut straight down across the face of the stud and into the bit of lug that remains then hit it with a sharp chisel to finish it off if necessary. MAKE SURE to protect the wheel before you start! I'd use some scrap 1/8 aluminum or sheet metal because if you just tape it up...one good bounce with the cutoff wheel will go right through the tape and ruin the rim! I'd use painters tape on the wheel First to prevent any shield you make from scratching...THEN lay a metal shield of sorts in 3 or 4 pieces on all sides AND the flat around the lug... THEN use duct tape to hold the metal shields in place and cut away.

2. The RISKY way... (if you even have room)

This option may not work because you said it's seated pretty well. But you might get lucky and have a little movement with all other lugs off. I was working on our Nissan w 5 spoke rims and a friend helping managed to cross thread one lug for me when I went in the house. Unfortunately he kept going with the 4 way wrench once it got tight thinking it was seated! My 700 lb impact wouldn't take it off!! It was STUCK good! Fortunately it didn't spin the spline and I didn't want to risk ruining the hole in the hub so I opted for cutting it from behind.

With all other lug nuts off there was just enough room to move the wheel out a bit and fish a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel in there attached to an arbor. Once it was in place I managed to tighten it to the chuck of my electric drill. It was too tight to get the die grinder collet wrenches in there otherwise I would've used that. I had to use care not to damage the wheel or rotor hat but the problem was I couldn't see between the wheel and rotor to view what was occurring progress wise or damage wise. I had the drill spun up but I used a light pressure against the stud as I went. Fortunately the hat was pretty high above the actual rotor surface so I didn't have to worry about damaging the rotor face. 20mins or so into cutting I got a surprise when the wheel fell off suddenly. I forget exactly how long it took but the entire fiasco took over an hour to remedy. I had to do some adapting with a few washers to get the 5/8 hole in the large cutout wheel to fit the only arbor I had which was for my 1/4 inch die grinder. Once the wheel was off I was able to hammer the remnants of the stud backwards then fish a new one in and pull it through with washers and an open end lug nut using a socket wrench. Once it was halfway through I went with the impact gun to finish it. Damage to the wheel and rotor hat was minimal with a bit of gouging on each.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Posted By: roe

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/30/14 07:00 AM

What about trying to fish some wire through there (between rotor face and wheel) so you can pull it down on the stud to apply some pressure/friction to it. You should only need a little for a finger tight bolt. And even some thin wire should allow you to apply plenty of pressure.

roe
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/30/14 04:04 PM

Use a small OD resin cut off wheel it may take a few to since they have to be small od and cut a slot up and across one side of the nut then rotate 180 degrees and cut another slot up and across to meet the other slot. Them take a cheisel and split the nut off. As mentioned cover up the area around the nut to protect the wheel as much as possible.

MLR426

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/31/14 12:54 AM

Guys, thanks for the help. I would typically be after this, but has been a busy week at work, already at 40 hours, plus kids, etc. etc. I think you get the idea.

Anyway, I think I am going to do the drill approach. I've done this in the past on exhaust manifold bolts or similar situations. Before this, I might try the wire idea, but not sure I have enough clearance to get a wire in there.

It is beyond finger tight. These nuts have been laying around for years and must have had some surface rust/flash. I put never seize on the stud to help removal, ironic, eh?

I'll report back when I get some time to get after this thing. Thanks for all the help!

P.S. I am pretty close to HOF also... we should get together sometime.
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/31/14 03:35 AM

Do you have a wonder bar? You might be able to get it between the spokes of the wheel to the backside of the wheel and pry the wheel toward you and try to remove the nut while prying out on the wheel.
Posted By: demon440

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 07/31/14 06:19 AM

Can you get a long skinny punch and hammer from the back side of the rotor to seat the stud?
Or since its a Dana can just pull the axle out with the wheel still attached?

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 08/01/14 10:47 PM

Update -- it is off. Left work on time for once, put two other nuts on loose and dropped the wheel/tire onto a few 2x4s to wedge the wheel into the spinning stud. Hit it will the impact and it spun off.

Sorry for the drama guys. Like I said, just didn't have much time this week to mess around with it. The last attempt with the impact was with the other nuts tightened up so there was no load on this loose stud.

Thank you for all the help. Now to pull the caliper and disk and see what happened.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 08/01/14 10:54 PM

Nice!
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Wheel Stud Spinning Can't Get Nut Off - 08/02/14 02:29 AM

Good going, I bet you had a celebratory beer.

Sheldon
© 2024 Moparts Forums