Moparts

How do I remove these knobs? Are they available?

Posted By: not_a_charger

How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/27/14 01:38 PM

71-74 B-body HVAC chrome plastic knobs. How are they removed without breakage? Are they reproduced?

Attached picture 8220972-DSCF2777.JPG
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/27/14 02:02 PM

Not real scientific here but it does work. Smooth jaw needle nose pliers that won't leave a mark on the steel, grab about 1/8" from the plastic knobs. 1/4" screwdriver gently twisting / prying off alternating top to bottom. Patience and be gentle - they'll walk right off. I don't know of anyone reproducing them but it's been almost 15 years since I did a '73 Charger and swapped out controls and back then I had good spares.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/27/14 02:04 PM

on some there was a small allen screw on the underside...if not...yank them off as they are pressure mounted...(best term I could come up with)
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/27/14 02:39 PM

Quote:

on some there was a small allen screw on the underside...if not...yank them off as they are pressure mounted...(best term I could come up with)

if no set screw then soak them down in WD-40 first then YANK.....
Posted By: feets

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/29/14 08:27 PM

Quote:

if no set screw then soak them down in WD-40 first then YANK.....

NO!

WD-40 is known to eat plastic.
Posted By: burdar

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/29/14 08:33 PM

The ones on my Dart are metal and have a set screw. If you damage the original plastic ones, you could install the metal ones.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/29/14 08:56 PM

Quote:

Not real scientific here but it does work. Smooth jaw needle nose pliers that won't leave a mark on the steel, grab about 1/8" from the plastic knobs. 1/4" screwdriver gently twisting / prying off alternating top to bottom. Patience and be gentle - they'll walk right off. I don't know of anyone reproducing them but it's been almost 15 years since I did a '73 Charger and swapped out controls and back then I had good spares.

AND PB BLASTER works ok

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 07/30/14 12:16 AM

Quote:

The ones on my Dart are metal and have a set screw. If you damage the original plastic ones, you could install the metal ones.

Does anyone repop those?
Posted By: PAULS_340

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 08/02/14 03:46 AM

Those look darn close to the Abody ones and those have a small Allen head screw on the under side...but you probably looked under already?

Attached picture 8227379-AbodyDash.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 08/02/14 03:50 AM

Hey Paul, is that your original dash radio face plate bezel or did you add it?

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 08/02/14 09:19 AM

Quote:

Those look darn close to the Abody ones and those have a small Allen head screw on the under side...but you probably looked under already?

I did. These do not have a set screw.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 08/02/14 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did. These do not have a set screw.

no screws= pulling them off....tiny wiggle at first....then.....pull!!
Posted By: burnt_o_matic

Re: How do I remove these knobs? Are they available? - 08/02/14 06:21 PM

If those are like the E-body ones, they're held onto the control lever by a devious little metal clip. The control lever has a small hole in the end, and the clip has a semi-circular depression that clips into the lever hole. It's not just a force fit. I think I ended up using a tiny screwdriver or blade to get mine off, but it was a fight.
© 2024 Moparts Forums