Moparts

ampmeter and tach not registering right

Posted By: 70GTXer

ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/24/14 09:07 PM

I just replace all the engine wiring harnesses with new from M&H, had the cluster redone with current electronics from Bob's speedo. also installed MSD 5 ignition. now when fired up the tach registers about double and when the engine is revved the ampmeter sweeps to full right. Also in case this helps I have also replaced ALL wiring front to back with new. any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Posted By: stumpy

Re: ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/24/14 09:49 PM

The ampmeter could be because the battery isn't charged yet.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/24/14 10:47 PM

(1) what Stump said make sure the batt is up (if not then charge it on a charger seperate from the vehicle not in the vehicle from the alt). (2) with the batt squared away set the idle speed up to where it pegs (if it still pegs) & check the charging voltage. Do NOT run it like this for more than 3 seconds as this full fielding will fry wires and components. It is FAR better to let the batt be ran down till you solve it than for the system to be overcharging till you solve it. Wouldn't hurt to run a 8ga or smaller jumper from the alt batt terminal to the batt positive terminal till you get it sorted out & have all components/lights OFF. Likely the reg is bad. 2nd choice would be the alt (or alt brushes).
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/25/14 04:50 AM

What kind of tach..
OE or aftermarket..
Most likely U need a tach adapter to work with the MSD box..

Just my $0.03...

Re: ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/25/14 11:05 PM

it's an original tic-toc that was redone with the cluster

Re: ampmeter and tach not registering right - 07/25/14 11:55 PM

Sinitro,

checked with msd and you are right-the original tic-toc needs a single fire signal and the msd fires dual. I ordered the adapter # 8920 that Vic at msd says will fix all issues for mopar original tic-tocs

Thanks again for the info
© 2024 Moparts Forums