Moparts

THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES???

Posted By: magic1

THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 02:12 AM

LOOKING TO REPLACE THE SPARKPLUG WIRES, MSD CAP, AND ROTOR ON MY REBUILT 440....its a real Sunday driver....I bought 8.5mm MSD SUPER CONDUCTOR WIRES.....not yet installed...Then I read abut the FIRECORE 50 WIRES...WHICH WILL MAKE ME AND MY REBUILT 440 THE HAPPIEST???
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 02:19 AM

Quote:

LOOKING TO REPLACE THE SPARKPLUG WIRES, MSD CAP, AND ROTOR ON MY REBUILT 440....its a real Sunday driver....I bought 8.5mm MSD SUPER CONDUCTOR WIRES.....not yet installed...Then I read abut the FIRECORE 50 WIRES...WHICH WILL MAKE ME AND MY REBUILT 440 THE HAPPIEST???

this is another of those topics that gets beat to death month after month. the wire you have (MSD) are good wires. I have used several sets over the years (8mm) without complaint.
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 02:28 AM

Run the wires you already bought .

They are plenty good enough.

There will always be New latest / greatest jonny come lately products that come out claiming to be SO much better than whats already out there and Usually it,s all mostly just a CATCHY MARKETING AD.
Not that there,s anything wrong with the firecores but there,s nothing wrong with new already paid for MSD,s
Posted By: ademon

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 02:42 AM

I've had the MSD wires on my car for 7 years or more they work great, the plug ends are top notch they release the plug without a fight and snap on positively.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 02:43 AM

I bought the firecores. Nice wire but stick with the ones you already bought. You will see zero difference between them.

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 03:15 AM

be still my heart, a Moparts first! 4 replies in a row that all say the same thing!!
Posted By: Moe

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/18/14 03:58 AM

Spend the time. Get the MSD Universal kit. Get some 'multi angle' boots, some 90°boots. The wire looms I have but can't remember the p/n. Some wire seperators, End result will be nice!

Attached picture 8211713-010.JPG
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 12:47 AM

MSD. Red is nice.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 02:56 AM

I'm partial to the Firecore50 wires myself but if you already have the MSD wires I would sell the MSD wires and get a good set of Firecore50 wires with a cap and rotor as well
Gus

Attached picture 8212662-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: justinp61

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 06:38 AM

Run the MSD wires, you will see zero benefit from changing to Firecore.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 09:27 AM

The MSD wires are one of the best spark plug wires, but they are normally longer than they need to be.
I just put a set on my 505" stroked 440, and after sorting them by length, The two longest wires were set aside so I could cut them to the length I wanted. Then start routing the remaining wires. The two longest wires ended up being cut down for the two shortest wires (#2 & #4) cylinder. This was not a big deal because I have extra MSD crimp terminals, boots, and the MDS crimping tool.

The MSD Vari-Angle spark plug ends are pretty nice, except when you need a tight 90-degree bend for clearance. I think the FireCore wires are cut to length better and have the different plug boots where required? I'm not sure as I have not tried them yet.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 12:28 PM

Quote:

Opinions like this are amusing but lack any technical data or real world experience.

So I have installed more than several sets of firecore wires on well tuned - good running cars.
All vehicle had msd wires that were less than 2 yrs old.

Using a digital ohm meter every wire was checked for it's electrical resistance which is measured in ohms. Both sets [msd-firecore] always ohmed out the same.

However...every time the firecore wires were installed the idle rpm picked up between 50 and 75 rpm and the cars ran even better across the board. You can see the idle change using digital readout tachometer.

So argue with the data and the results.

My thanks to sparky for bringing firecore wires to the marketplace.

Posted By: BDW

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 01:45 PM

Quote:

Using a digital ohm meter every wire was checked for it's electrical resistance which is measured in ohms. Both sets [msd-firecore] always ohmed out the same.

However...every time the firecore wires were installed the idle rpm picked up between 50 and 75 rpm and the cars ran even better across the board.
Quote:

Talk about amusing,

The wires deliver spark and don't affect timing/rpm, or do these wire break the laws of physics?

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Opinions like this are amusing but lack any technical data or real world experience.

No real world experience? How would you know that? Because you picked up 50 rpms at idle that makes them better. I take it you have a digital tach to be able to read 50 rpms and it must be pretty mild combo. I have a digital tach in my LM-2 and it'll move 50 rpms at idle on my 408. Show me some real world data from a dyno or ETs then thump your chest about experience. Do some research, it's not all about ohms. Go ahead, keep drinking the kool aid.
Posted By: 383man

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 03:55 PM

I like my Firecore wires alot but would not hesitate to run the MSD wires if I already had them. Ron
Posted By: therocks

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 04:03 PM

We run Taylor Spiro Pros.Mine are at least 15 years old with big tune headers.Still work great but are looking shabby.Have them on all our rides even the new ones.I even ran them on my 57 Chrysler.Rocky
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 07:36 PM

Firecore here and running nice.
I've had the MSD's before and they were nice as well. I like the custom length and boots of the Firecores much better, plus you can make them look stock for that covert activity called $+==+ racing.
Posted By: dangina

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 07:46 PM

running firecore wires and their distributor here
Posted By: can.al

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 08:34 PM

does anybody run regular auto parts store wires?
Posted By: pjc360

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/19/14 09:14 PM

I'm running taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires and they ohm out at 40 ohms of resistance per foot, the length on them were a tad longer then they needed to be, and the boots are thin. I have torn a hole into a coupleof the boots when removing the wires with my plug wire removing pliers. The next time I spend money on wires I will be purchasing the firecore 50's.

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 12:33 AM

Quote:

does anybody run regular auto parts store wires?

on my Blazer and Sunfire with stock ignition. key word being 'stock'.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 03:08 AM

I do see a few posts here that confirm the reasons Firecore50 wires are better:
You can either measure, cut, and crimp OR just open the box of Firecore50 wires and put them on
Seems pretty simple to me
Plus you're helping out a small American company stay afloat and isn't that better than padding the pockets of millionaires?
Gus

Attached picture 8213734-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: pjc360

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 03:12 AM

what sold me on the firecore 50 wires is the boots, they are thick and look very heavy duty. I am constantly looking at my plugs since I bought a new quick fuel carburetor and am trying to dial it in, I need a wire I can remove and put back on that's not going to rip or tear. These taylor thundervolt wires I bought are descent, but in my opinion they chose a poor boot to go over the wires. At least the wires I have.

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 03:42 AM

Quote:

You can either measure, cut, and crimp OR just open the box of Firecore50 wires and put them on
Plus you're helping out a small American company stay afloat and isn't that better than padding the pockets of millionaires?
Gus

My Firecores are a ton long. Good wires, sure. The best? It's all a matter of personal opinion.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 03:49 AM

Fwiw... Big block was loading up the plugs at idle. Had to blip the throttle to clean it out or sparks would start jumping the boot. A set of firecores and it would idle all day and not load up or jump the boots.

Never tried MSD. I was happy with firecores. Best part is they're made by our fellow moparts member!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: THE BEST CHOICE IN SPARKPLUG WIRES??? - 07/20/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

Gus

Nobody is saying the firecores are bad. Note the op already has the msd wires.
© 2024 Moparts Forums