Moparts

school me on mini starters

Posted By: ffej

school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 12:03 AM

finally got my car back together and now my oem starter wont fit with my new headers(chart said it would) anyways what do you guys recomend for mini starters best value, reliability ,are they all the same size? thanks jeff
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 12:10 AM

There are 2 sizes. The earlier ones on the LA engines were a tad bigger. The later Mag engine ones are smaller and are the one to get for max clearance. May have to take off the starter wire adapter bracket for use on a big block.
Posted By: therocks

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 12:46 AM

Just get a reman mini for a 360 Ram.Mines been in 15 years.My kid has a new one from 440 Source.It has about 5 years on it.Rocky
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 01:03 AM

Yep...90's Magnum. I got one from NAPA new,not reman for about $100. Been cranking my 10.5:1 470" for a few years now
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 01:13 AM

Have had a mini(with heat shield)hiding behind some Hooker's for 15+ years now...
Posted By: Telvis

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 01:15 AM

I bought on from Advanced Auto parts for a 96 Ram pickup (I think the 360 and 318 are the same) and it works great in my Challenger 340. I think it was $90 before i used their discount code and it came with a lifetime warranty. If you go to their website you can usually get a code for 15% to 20% off. I order online and go pick it up in the store. It's a much better deal that way. They usually have it waiting for me behind the counter within an hour of ordering.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 01:20 AM

The original REAL Denso starters are still available from Mancini Racing and they are a little more money but it's better than the Chinese made units.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/delihist.htmlhttp://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/delihist.html

Gus

Attached picture 8206448-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 01:28 AM

I run the PowerMaster line of mini's, they do have a "clockable" model for Mopars, you can index the the body to suit clearance near headers or other engine/body/suspension mods that may interfere with the starters location, I've had ZERO issues in over a decade of use with the PowerMaser minis

Mike

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 02:52 PM

thanks for all the input everyones been great here at helping answer questions to finally get this thing back on the road!!
Posted By: kloyiod

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 06:06 PM

Do yourself a favor and get one from the boneyard, they work just as well if not better than these $100+ units these guys are paying for! I guess they just have more money than sense!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 06:16 PM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and get one from the boneyard, they work just as well if not better than these $100+ units these guys are paying for! I guess they just have more money than sense!

Hate to tell you how many times I see a fellow Mopar guy stuck with a bad starter, only to ask him where he got it?...9 out of 10 times it's "from a junkyard"... starters are only good for a number of cycles, when it's new you can estimate how much life you can expect from it, used="Russian Roulette" what your going to pay for that tow home, would have bought you a new starter
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Ever do a starter in a big block A-body with in chassis headers?? No used one going in mine
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/13/14 07:53 PM

Quote:

Hate to tell you how many times I see a fellow Mopar guy stuck with a bad starter, only to ask him where he got it?...9 out of 10 times it's "from a junkyard"... starters are only good for a number of cycles, when it's new you can estimate how much life you can expect from it, used="Russian Roulette" what your going to pay for that tow home, would have bought you a new starter

Thank-You...
Posted By: roe

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank-You...

That's why I like the one from autozone. Lifetime warranty and because all of their computer systems are linked nation wide, you don't have to go back to the store you bought it at or keep the receipt. You are saved in the system under your phone number. So I bought mine in FL, now Im in TX and can walk into any autozone and get it replaced free of charge, and no wait for shipping. Good quality (same part as Napa/advance/Orielly's) etc...
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 10:44 AM

Quote:

The original REAL Denso starters are still available from Mancini Racing and they are a little more money but it's better than the Chinese made units.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/delihist.htmlhttp://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/delihist.html

Gus

He speaks the truth, my 2001 Ram still has the original starter. 155k miles on the odometer now.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 01:35 PM

I've used a couple of these ,,with ZERO complaints. even on a 484 CI Hemi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Charger-Cu...362&vxp=mtr
Posted By: ta3834bbl

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 04:10 PM

I bought one from mancini's and recently bought a replacement for it at O'reillys. The one I got from O'riellys was off something like a 96 v6 dakota and spins that 383 of mine just like the mancini one and rebuilt was about 60 bucks with exchange. ( i gave them an old low torque factory as a trade in ) Works like a champ and spins my engine over way faster than the old styles do.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 04:43 PM

I recently purchased one from O'Reilly's for my 426 Hemi w/headers application. I referenced my '98 Dodge Ram SS/T. So far so good. Spins that hemi over rather nicely.. I did shorten the posts though. They were particularly close to the block. There is plenty of threads on the posts, so no worries on the cable installation. It fits perfectly with plenty of clearance with the TTI headers I have.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/14/14 08:49 PM

Starter on the 383 is the same one I put on the 360 that was in it previously. Came from my Dads old junkyard off an '89 van with a 5.9 in it. Replaced the solenoid contacts (cost me about $6 at the time- real Denso contacts from the Toyota dealer I worked at) before I put it on. Been on the car about 6-7 yrs. now.

Tim
Posted By: dangina

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/19/14 07:45 PM

picked one up from napa, still hit my hedman headers 78030, mostly due to me running the 11" clutch which pushed it out a 1/2". Had to cut and reweld the #1 tube for clearance, could probably get away with denting it running the 10.5"

what years were the bigger ones? I think mines for a 92?

Re: school me on mini starters - 07/20/14 02:23 PM

i ended up getting one from summit about the same price as advanced auto since i didnt have a core to turn in. fits nice easy to install even with headers
© 2024 Moparts Forums