Moparts

4-speed gurus unite.

Posted By: OhioMopar

4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 02:48 PM

Car: '69 Super Bee. Trans:rebuilt 833. History: shifts fine, needs a little shifter and clutch adjustment. Cause(?): u-joint failure, driveshaft vibrating enough to hit the floor pan. New symptom:Under deceleration, pops out of high gear. Not violently. Just let off the gas and it shifts itself out of gear. It doesn't fight going back in, just pops our every time.
Question: Adjustment problem? Could the vibration (severe)have knocked somethinf loose or broken something inside? I'm also getting a vibration in the clutch pedal. I didn't notice it before, but it may have been there??
I just need to know if I'm going to need to pull the transmiasion out again, or maybe just adjust it.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 05:11 PM

I have seen these U-joint failures shake so violently the advance plate shook loose inside the distributor. The same car cracked the bellhousing and extension housing too.
If all your adjusments are fine I wouldn't be surprised to find some internal damage.

Gus

Attached picture 8197258-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 06:05 PM

Drat. I guess I'll pull it and open it up. It shook enough the console and glove box door popped open.
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 07:31 PM

How would a transmission cause that much vibration?
I would try indexing the drive shaft 90 degrees different on the rear yolk. Check the U-joints and make sure all of the caps are mounted correctly and have all of their needle bearings in place.
Like OhioMopar said, loosing a U-joint can be very violent.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 07:43 PM

Quote:

How would a transmission cause that much vibration?
I would try indexing the drive shaft 90 degrees different on the rear yolk. Check the U-joints and make sure all of the caps are mounted correctly and have all of their needle bearings in place.
Like OhioMopar said, loosing a U-joint can be very violent.

The u-joint came apart, that's what caused the vibration. Now I'm getting a popping out of 4th gear condition...
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 07:51 PM

Sometimes, a picture just works...

Attached picture 8197417-732-pa13104bb.jpg

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 08:07 PM

Quote:

Sometimes, a picture just works...

No point in ruining the car. 4-speeds are worth more for a reason. They're cooler.
(I don't recall me or any other kid thinking it was cool to shift into drive and race around the yard... )
Besides, a U-joint let's go behind that, I'm tearing down to replace a sparg.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 08:39 PM

You just run in the wrong circles...

A Hemi Torqueflite shifting is a beautiful thing...

(I lost a u-joint cup clip on the INTERSTATE...

The sprag survived just fine)...

And as far as values, yeah, a 4-speed might bring more...

But you need that, to cover the repair bills...

Step out of the dark ages...

A look inside a full-boogie Torqueflite is almost sexuhl...

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/04/14 08:44 PM

Quote:

I can look inside a full-boogie Torqueflite when it explodes.
I drive mine hard. I'll get it stabilized and it will be more fun that an auto. Noone looks in a car to see if it is an auto.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 02:51 AM

Quote:

You left out the skirt, heels, and purse in that picture of the girl's muscle car transmission. Real muscle cars have three pedals.
Slushboxes are for women
Gus

Attached picture 8197835-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: mike s

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You left out the skirt, heels, and purse in that picture of the girl's muscle car transmission. Real muscle cars have three pedals.
Slushboxes are for women
Gus

Yea what he said!
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 03:53 PM

So I have to admit that once I replaced my mushy auto with a 4-Speed in my Cuda, I now get that admiring comment from admirers "Oh wow, you have a 4-speed". NO-ONE says "Oh wow, you have an automatic"

Not to mention the fact that you "feel" your car so much better. An Automatic is like a buffer between me and the drive train. If I were racing or older I could see some benefit to an automatic but for street, overall feel/control and connecting with the car I'll take my 4-speed any day of the week. I am glad I made the change.

Now if I just find a nice 4-speed center console top plate for less than $150 I'd be happy.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 07:10 PM

Quote:

Slushboxes are for women
Gus

Yeah, sure they are...

Why don't you tell everybody how many times you've been waxed by a 'slushbox'???

Autos have been pounding Ronnie wanna-be's in these parts for many years...

Attached picture 8198470-page4-1021-full.jpg
Posted By: BDW

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 07:22 PM

I've always wondered why 4spd cars sell for more than autos.
The auto was an expensive option, so there were less made?

In reality almost no 1 can "out shift" and auto?

It is just the nostalgia factor?
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 07:40 PM

Quote:

I've always wondered why 4spd cars sell for more than autos.
The auto was an expensive option, so there were less made?

In reality almost no 1 can "out shift" and auto?

It is just the nostalgia factor?

Untrue, in most every case, the automatics outsold the manual trans.

Given the choice, I would never buy an automatic muscle car (have owned over 100 in nearly 27 years, 99% of them were factory 4-gear cars)... Nor would most enthusiasts that I know. We all know that autos have the potential to be more consistent, but that's irrelevent to me, as I'm not out racing every Tom, Dick and Harry on the street. Bench seats and pistol grips, that's where it's at!!!

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 09:54 PM

Anyone got any more ideas on what causes a trans to pop out of 4th.
Enjoyable derailment of the thread, but I still have the same issue!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 09:56 PM

Chipped tooth on a gear.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 09:58 PM

If you didn't have this trouble before the u-joint issue, then I think a look inside that trans is in order...

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/05/14 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Slushboxes are for women
Gus

Yeah, sure they are...

Why don't you tell everybody how many times you've been waxed by a 'slushbox'???

Autos have been pounding Ronnie wanna-be's in these parts for many years...

Sounds like a challenge that I'm up for are you???
I went 11 rounds once against mostly glides and a few T-flites thrown in for the win in Pro a few years ago.
It's all about the shifter and the talent of a fast hand and left leg
Gus

Attached picture 8198698-IMG_0023-1.JPG
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/06/14 01:43 AM

Quote:

If you didn't have this trouble before the u-joint issue, then I think a look inside that trans is in order...

In 50 years of messing with '833s, I've only found two causes for "popping out of gear"...

> Shift linkage maladjusted so the slider isn't 100% engaged

> Worn dog teeth on the speed gear (in your case, the main drive pinion). You have to look carefully, kind of a tapered or diagonal wear pattern.

Hard to imagine, though, how a bad u-joint could cause either of these defects. I'm thinking -- long shot -- bent / twisted mainshaft?

Rick

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/06/14 02:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

In 50 years of messing with '833s, I've only found two causes for "popping out of gear"...

> Shift linkage maladjusted so the slider isn't 100% engaged

> Worn dog teeth on the speed gear (in your case, the main drive pinion). You have to look carefully, kind of a tapered or diagonal wear pattern.

Hard to imagine, though, how a bad u-joint could cause either of these defects. I'm thinking -- long shot -- bent / twisted mainshaft?

Rick

It was a rather violent failure. I kinda felt like I was in a rock polisher (except for the tumbling over and over part).
Posted By: 69Y2RT

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/11/14 01:45 AM

I would suspect ether a bent mainshaft or the pocket bearing/mainshaft pilot tip was damaged.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/11/14 04:50 AM

I'll find out next week when I get to tear into it.
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/12/14 05:38 AM

My vote is for worn dogs on the high gear / main drive.

My GTS is a 4 speed car and my 2nd gear pops out sometimes on deceleration. I know it's worn, but the car hasn't gone 10 miles since 1993....... Not high on my priority list to fix at this time

I run a 4 speed in the Cuda, but it's a Jerico, an 833 wouldn't live in that thing.

-Dave

Attached picture 8205659-critter.jpg

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/12/14 11:49 PM

Quote:

My vote is for worn dogs on the high gear / main drive.

My GTS is a 4 speed car and my 2nd gear pops out sometimes on deceleration. I know it's worn, but the car hasn't gone 10 miles since 1993....... Not high on my priority list to fix at this time

I run a 4 speed in the Cuda, but it's a Jerico, an 833 wouldn't live in that thing.

-Dave

I'm hoping that's what it is. I think it would be a bit cheaper that way...
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/13/14 12:20 AM

Have you checked the driveshaft for straigtness? Last time my car tossed a u-joint it bent the hell out of the driveshaft and yoke. It happened at the drag strip on the launch. So it was pretty violent when it happened. I would suggest putting the car up on jackstands and put the car in high gear and watch the driveshaft spin looking for excessive runout.

Re: 4-speed gurus unite. - 07/13/14 12:29 AM

I'm going to have it balanced fairly soon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums