Moparts

Starter differences (not mini starter)

Posted By: MoparJ

Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/03/14 08:57 PM

Silly question, but I have noticed a difference in part numbers in starters for 318/360s on the OReilly site. I currently run a part number 03-0215X (03-0215X), which is what OReilly suggests for a 73 Duster 318. I have noticed that some late 70s and 80s Chryslers with 318/360 suggest a 03-0213X, which is 11.180” long. This is not a later 80s/90s mini starter, so what is the difference? Is the -0213 shorter starter a high torque unit? I have noticed that a lot of 80s and mid 80s Chrysler starters have a deeper sound and turn faster, if that means anything (I am overly observant of the small stuff).
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/03/14 09:34 PM

there are no silly questions only smart ass answers . I had thought from way back something I read that the cases on /6 starters were reportedly shorter than V8 units & if so would have less torque tho as we know they all interchange & I ain't never had an original /6 starter in my hand to verify that or not
Posted By: therocks

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/03/14 09:41 PM

Short is /6 typically.The long ones are supposed to be heavy duty.Rocky
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/04/14 01:42 AM

Quote:

Short is /6 typically.The long ones are supposed to be heavy duty.Rocky

correct, short LA starter is a LOW TORQUE /6 starter and often used for clearance issues with headers SB/BB engines.

this used to be the only option for running headers.

the long LA starters were HI TORQUE for SB/BB V-8 and some times with a good pair of headers would fit or a heat shield would be used with manifolds.

then came the mini race starter which was a copy of the denso starters on imports, then mopar switched over to the direct drive hi torque mini starters in the late 80s on production SB engines.

went from 27 pounds to 6 pounds and 3/4 the size with 2x more torque.

I still have a couple LA starters on the shelf but have swaped all trucks to the mini starters.. the 440 spins super fast with it.

BUT..I do miss the old LA starter whine on start up so I keep a low torque and a hi torque on hand just in case.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/04/14 01:00 PM

Even the Minis have hi and low power starters.I use the 360 starters in any I do.Rocky
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/04/14 02:21 PM

360s were supposed to use a bigger starter then 318. I've never noticed what 318/360s actually had. I just took them off and put them back on. I have one car with the 80s ministarter and have a couple ministarters in my parts stash. One is newer, I don't know what the other one is.
Posted By: 300rag

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/04/14 05:19 PM

There are 3:1 and 2:1 gear reduction Mopar starters. Starters prior to 1974 (give or take) were typically of the 3:1 gear reduction type. With the introduction of electronic ignition, Mopar engineers discovered that the distributor needed to spin faster at startup to make starting easier. And this brought about the use of the 2:1 gear reduction starter. A lot of rebuilders do not really separate the two types and it is usually a crap shoot when getting a remanufactured starter. Most cases it doesn't really matter and nobody really minds.
There is not really a way to tell from the outside. Mopar made different 'strength' starters for heavy duty and other applications. These will look slightly different on the outside (HD ones are typically longer). What you would need to do to ID the gear ratio is to snap the cover off the gearset (bendix) and visually inspect.
The 3:1 Bendix gear is approximately 2" in dia. The 2:1 bendix gear is approximately 1.75" in dia.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/04/14 07:24 PM

Peter I learned sumpin new today & I had no idea
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Starter differences (not mini starter) - 07/06/14 01:48 AM

The longer starter is 1.8HP ("high torque"), the shorter 1.5.

Rick
© 2024 Moparts Forums