Moparts

15 Inch RWL Street Tires

Posted By: michiganhotrod1

15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 03:32 AM

Hi folks;
My 70 Challenger R/T has developed a bad front end shake at 65 mph. It sat unused for almost 2 years due to other priorities, and I am afraid a belt has shifted and at least one tire is junk. I'm "pissed off" as the Goodyear Eagle ST's only have about 4,000 miles on them.... but I put them on in 1996 or so!
Apparently, outside of BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, and Chinese junk, I can't find any other radial RWL tires on the market anymore.
Any other recommended tires out there? How are the BFG's? I don't race the car, but I do drive it to local events and the Nats so street handling and ride count a little.
Thanks for the input.
This tire thing is getting crazy. I also have a 66 Town and Country wagon (440 TNT, loaded) and finding ANYTHING in a 14" whitewall with a reasonable price and reputation is impossible.
Mark

Attached picture 8188681-Shellsmall.jpg
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 03:39 AM

Had the same thing happen to an Eagle ST...

Separated belt...

(20 years old...20,000 miles)...

Went with BFG's...Which is Michelin...

Firestone(which will NEVER happen), Cooper, and BFG was the only game in town in a 15"...
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 03:48 AM

BFG or Mickey Thompson

btw BFG is made by Coker Tire now

Cooper offers a raised white,I'm not a big Cooper fan but they will certainly serve the purpose.

Definitely not a fan of the Goodyear Eagle ST's I thought they sucked when they first came out.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 04:00 AM

BFGoodrich still makes Radial TA's, Cooker just reproduces the older version.
Posted By: michiganhotrod1

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 04:16 AM

New BFG versus Cooker? How do you tell them apart? I have not heard much good about Cooker products, at least from the '50's Forward Look guys.M

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 04:18 AM

look at the lettering, it is different
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 04:26 AM

radial t/a's for me
Posted By: EWJ

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 05:11 AM

BFGs have worked well for me- several sets over 20 years without any issues.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 03:24 PM

When I ran white letters, I always had BFGs. Decent looking block tread, OK performance.

but 4k miles in 18 years doesn't seem like a good use of tires

Pic from the Gilmore Museum?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 03:51 PM

as said you are very limited.

dunlap might still make them. They wear faster, but they were pretty nice.

bfg's never liked wet handeling.

coopers are what I have now. don't drive in the rain, so cannot say.

firestone makes some, I ran them on one car for quite some time without issues. after about 6 years I think I started seeing dry cracking sidewalls.

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

I think you are confusing Goodyear for BFG's. Never met a Goodyear tire that liked wet weather, never met a BFG that had issues with it.

I suggest that anyone looking to buy a tire goo to tirerack.com, read the survey results. I looked up a P255/60R15 Radial T/A, over 900 respondents. Those results will be more relevant than one person's opinion.

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think you are confusing Goodyear for BFG's. Never met a Goodyear tire that liked wet weather, never met a BFG that had issues with it.

I suggest that anyone looking to buy a tire goo to tirerack.com, read the survey results. I looked up a P255/60R15 Radial T/A, over 900 respondents. Those results will be more relevant than one person's opinion.

well to be fair, I haven't seen a bfg in nearly 15 years. so they might have gotten better.
but the standard raised letter ones they used to sell at super shops sucked.

and I didn't do them this time around because they were back ordered for like 8 months.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/27/14 08:01 PM

on BFGs..
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 08:33 AM

I believe that Cooper and M. Thompson are the same tire except for the lettering. I have Goodyears(275 60 15 and 235 60 15) on our E body but now are unavailable. Like the look and stance very much,,,likely go to Goodrich TA's when forced too,,,,they are rated 'S',,,only 111 mph. Cooper and Thompson are 'T' 118 mph. Have no idea on our Goodyears, but likely suck too.

Hate thinking of TA's as made by Coker,,,please someone tell us not true.

Only decent 15 inch in sizes we need are Avon's but at 500 dollars each and no RWL's.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 08:53 AM

whats wrong with Firestone?
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 08:55 AM

Quote:

Don't believe they have required sizes.
Posted By: gch

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 03:16 PM

Cooper Cobra and Mastercraft Avenger GT(both owned by Cooper)are about the only options left besides BFG for solid white letters.There are a few outline white letters available last time I checked.I sold Cooper Cobras for a 67 Camaro and 74 Nova this week to customers.
BFG's SUCK and surely aren't worth the huge price increase over Cooper.

To my knowledge Goodyear(Dunlop as well) Firestone,and Uniroyal have all discontinued these old solid white letter styles.

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 07:08 PM

it has been a year or 2 since I got mine, but firestone did have like an indy or nascar tire with raise white lettering. but I haven't checked recently.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 07:30 PM

Quote:

it has been a year or 2 since I got mine, but firestone did have like an indy or nascar tire with raise white lettering. but I haven't checked recently.

Got these several years back, ride is excellent, not sure if they are still available.

Attached picture 8190270-68RR3834-speed(35).jpg
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 07:47 PM

So, in some circles, 'BFG's suck'...

Why???

Because they don't bite like a drag radial???

They're Michelin...

As in 'mileage'...

Michelin's I've had on a DD gave me some of the best service of any tire I ever ran...

Twice over 80,000...

Why do you need a soft compound tire on a car only driven occasionally, and on the street???

Rain???

Not really an issue, either...

I'll take the longevity factor...

There's a TON of old rides in these parts running BFG's...

Ain't heard too many complaints...

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 06/28/14 08:16 PM

Quote:

There's a TON of old rides in these parts running BFG's...

Ain't hear too many complaints...

And if you look at the reviews and surveys on tirerack.com you will find that they are well thought of and well rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/01/14 04:54 PM

Quote:

So, in some circles, 'BFG's suck'...

Ain't heard too many complaints...

Well, I've had BFG that have had belt seperation withing a few thousand miles and tread seperation within 10k, and balancing issues. Granted, any tire can have these issues and I still bought BFGs after these problems, but they certainly ain't the Schiznit. They do look nice though and in the 15" tire sizes, their primary use any more is typically cruising. I'd bet most of us on here will dry rot our tires before the tread wears out.

For RWL 15" tires, you may have to look at some off brands. Hercules AP 4000, Dean Stinger GTS, Mastercraft Avenger. Some easier to find versions may be the Cooper Cobra, Mickey Thomson ST, certainly the BGF versions, or any of the offerings in the Coker catalog. As mentioned above, Mastercraft, Cooper, and MT ST are all made by Cooper. The Mickey Thompson SR, which is also available in 15" sizes but not with RWL, is not made by Cooper and is probably one of the most modern carcass designs in 15" along with the Maxxis Marauder MAS1, also a blackwall tire.

You may be able to find some old stock of Goodyear, Dunlop, Firestone and Uniroyal, but I believe all of these guys have gotten out of the RWL 15" tire business.
Posted By: barryv

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/02/14 03:21 AM

recently bought white lettered tires from pep boys.they told me cooper tires makes them.15 inch for my 1970 road runner
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/03/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

Cooper Cobra and Mastercraft Avenger GT(both owned by Cooper)are about the only options left besides BFG for solid white letters.There are a few outline white letters available last time I checked.I sold Cooper Cobras for a 67 Camaro and 74 Nova this week to customers.
BFG's SUCK and surely aren't worth the huge price increase over Cooper.

To my knowledge Goodyear(Dunlop as well) Firestone,and Uniroyal have all discontinued these old solid white letter styles.

I have the Mastercraft Avenger GT's on my cars (235-70-15). They are slightly noisy but I like the looks of them and they are not very expensive. I shopped around and I got my last set cheapest when including shipping from www.tireteam.com
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/04/14 11:35 PM

I "dared to be different" and went with the M/T's....nice ride so far

happy 4th!

Posted By: magic1

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/05/14 02:57 AM

you can try Cooper Tires they fit and have RWL's....Not too much to choose from!
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/05/14 05:31 AM

Quote:

EVERYTHING.

And no, since Ford got raked over the coals for tires flying apart, they have not gotten any better; the same goes for their Scabby partner (or parent company, whatever) Bridgestone.

Wouldn't recommend either to my worst enemy and Goodyear isn't far behind.
Posted By: 98RAM1500

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/16/14 03:08 AM

heres a pic of my new Hankook Ventus H101's P275/60R15 on a 15x8 rims

Attached picture 8209619-DSCF0042.JPG
Posted By: Dixie

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/16/14 03:58 AM

Quote:

I "dared to be different" and went with the M/T's....nice ride so far

happy 4th!

Love the look of your car. Changed the steel wheels on mine to old school slots and went with Radial T/A's. Should have considered the MT's.

Attached picture 8209678-69chargerslotsnew(640x358).jpg
Posted By: Junky

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/17/14 06:51 AM

Just purchased a set of Cooper Cobras.

Attached picture 8210920-Coops.jpg
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: 15 Inch RWL Street Tires - 07/17/14 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got these several years back, ride is excellent, not sure if they are still available.

I love these tires, but they are discontinued for some years now ( I think could get the last ones available around 2 years ago or so )
© 2024 Moparts Forums