Moparts

BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM

Posted By: Magnumguy

BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 04:29 AM

Replaced both front calipers (rebuilt) and hoses on my 78 Magnum. It seems like they're not releasing as the should, as when i raise either one they're hard to turn, even worse w/the wheel/tire off.

Any clues? Pads are correct, dead-on matches to the ones removed. Also had an awful time getting them bled as well.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 04:51 AM

I'm assuming the wheel bearing adjustment is OK. Cranck a bleeder & see if it is a PSI problem. I had that on one corner & a $15 rebuild caliper took care of it. Before it was too hard to turn it & with another caliper it was much easier to bearhug/turn the wheel which as you know is normal EDIT provide more info on what was going on with the bleeding

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 05:12 AM

Both calipers are "new". The bleeding took FOREVER. Just wouldn't pump up. Finally got some pedal, left it set an a week later they were fine.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 05:26 AM

check valve in master not releasing, Proportioning valve needs reset.. is the booster releasing all the way ??

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 02:36 PM

Quote:

Proportioning valve needs reset..

How is that done?

Quote:

is the booster releasing all the way ??

As far as I can tell it is.

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 02:45 PM

didn't realize it was PB. crack a bleeder & if that frees it then close the bleeder & pump it up & undo the MC to booster bolts & pull the MC forward a bit & see if that frees it. If so take the bolts the rest of the way off & pull the MC forward so you can get at the rounded pushrod threaded nub & shorten it till you have a slight bit of clearance between the round nub and the bottom of the piston recess "thimble" in the back of the MC
Posted By: stumpy

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 05:47 PM

RR it isn't logical that the adjustment on the booster would change with just a hose and caliper replacement. I would look at the new caliper pistons being tight in their bore and not releasing all the way. I would say drive it for a little bit and see if things loosen up.

Re: BRAKE RELEASE ISSUES / 78 MAGNUM - 06/25/14 06:21 PM

Quote:

RR it isn't logical that the adjustment on the booster would change with just a hose and caliper replacement.

Agreed, I missed that part. for it to start after a caliper replacement I would concentate my efforts there for what is mechanically hanging up
© 2024 Moparts Forums