Moparts

Help, trunk lock just broke!

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 04:46 AM

Hey guys i was loading the roadrunner and when i went to open the trunk the key just spins in the cylinder. Now i have the trunk fully loaded and i cant get it open.

Any thoughts on what might have happened and how i can get it unlatched?? I cant go in from the back seat as its packed full!

Thanks
Stu
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 04:53 AM

If you tape a standard screwdriver to a broom handle or something similar you may be able to reach the lock to open it.

I have done it that way with lots of stuff in the trunk before.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 04:55 AM

Quote:

If you tape a standard screwdriver to a broom handle or something similar you may be able to reach the lock to open it.

I have done it that way with lots of stuff in the trunk before.

I cant get into it as the trunk is packed solid due to me going to an event tomorrow. Also i have a giant sub woofer in the way to begin with.

Could i drill out the lock maybe??? I have to get it fixed tonight somehow.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 04:57 AM

You could chisel off the lock and ruin the decklid like every jackass does around here in junkyards ruining perfectly usable decklids.....

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:01 AM

Would drilling out the lock cylinder allow me to get the trunk lid to open somehow.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:09 AM

You gotta drill it out till you get the lock and the rod out of the way so you can get a flat blade screwdriver back into the notch to turn the latch.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

You gotta drill it out till you get the lock and the rod out of the way so you can get a flat blade screwdriver back into the notch to turn the latch.

Ok thanks Robert, that was was my idea but i wanted to get another opinion before i did it.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:22 AM

Yeah if there is no way you could pay the smallest neighborhood juvenile delinquent a buck to snake thru the back seat then yes drill it carefully so as to not torque/bend anything that you dont want bent. You might try & pick it by turning the cyl slightly clockwise with a narrow piece of cutdown hacksaw blade & holding that pressure then raise the tumblers one by one till they catch as you maintain the slight turning pressure. You might feel the cyl turn a hair as each tumbler raises enough to where is now in line & not keeping the cyl from turning. all of em have to be at the right height which why the key notches are at different heights. Good luck with it & holler how it turns out
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:23 AM

Or you can drill the pins out of the lock and turn the lock itself with a screwdriver.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:25 AM

Quote:

Or you can drill the pins out of the lock and turn the lock itself with a screwdriver.

good point as you should not have to drill out the whole schebang

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

good point as you should not have to drill out the whole schebang

Thanks for the ideas guys but i had to drill out the whole lock cylinder to get it to open. Dang i was hoping there was another way as i had the original trunk keys still!!

Well hopefully a new cylinder is still available somewhere.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:33 AM

Don't know if your car has a decor panel on the decklid or just painted but I would mask around it either way before drilling cause the stainless cover will pull up on the bit and could scratch around the lock area while drilling.....Good luck.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:37 AM

Quote:

Plenty of them around almost all are the same for many years it is the rod that connects to the back of the lock that is actually model specific....

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Plenty of them around almost all are the same for many years it is the rod that connects to the back of the lock that is actually model specific....

I was able to save that rod luckily but the cylinder is toast.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:43 AM

Quote:

Dang i was hoping there was another way as i had the original trunk keys still!!

Get a couple of spare lock cyls with the chrome rectangular cover & dissassemble em & you can mix an match tumblers/spacer rods till your current key works. I'm sure there are new cyls available maybe on eBay & same thing mix/match till your keys fit. Even if you are short on parts and only 4 of the holes are in use nobody picks locks any more except in the movies. Only caveat, the tabs on the chrome covers are fragile/not flexible so bend them just enough to get the cover off maybe just bending the 2 on one side slightly then getting the cover partly off then the other two. You'll see whaen you get there Stu

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 05:59 AM

Year one has a universal trunk lock and keys for $30.
Posted By: runnerrt

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 06:10 AM

A locksmith should be able to key the new cylinder to your keys for about $20.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 06:14 AM

I locked my Aspen keys in the trunk. The doors were unlocked so I took out the back seat, reached thru with a screwdriver and turned the latch. Took less than 5 minutes.

You couldn't move any of the stuff you loaded?

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

A locksmith should be able to key the new cylinder to your keys for about $20.

Yea, i was thinking as well of taking the universal key cylinder and getting a locksmith to re-key it my original keys.

Thanks for the help!!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 01:41 PM

Stu any good locksmith can do it.My 57 didnt have trunk keys.I took it to a local guy we use.He cleaned it lubed it and made me 2 trunk and 1 ignition key.Charged me around 23 bucks.I still have to have him make me spare keys for my 65.At the shop when we changed a ignition we bought new ones from him and he keyed them to the OE keys and he was usually cheaper than the parts stores.Check Evay for a lock.Might be cheaper the YO.Rocky
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/15/14 08:13 PM

Quote:

I've seen the back of the Roadrunner. He literally packs in everything he can so there is not a single inch of wiggle room. My guess, is he's had plenty of practice with Tetris when he was younger.

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/16/14 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen the back of the Roadrunner. He literally packs in everything he can so there is not a single inch of wiggle room. My guess, is he's had plenty of practice with Tetris when he was younger.

Attached picture 8177347-FathersDay2014022.JPG
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/16/14 04:03 AM

Autozone or any parts store will have what you need for $15...
Google "TL15000 trunk lock"
I broke mine as I was going to a show one year. The cooler snapped the long rod off completely. Pulled out the back seats and got in that way.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/16/14 04:20 AM

Quote:

Send me your lock[new or used] and key and I can recode the lock to match your old key. For free.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/16/14 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Send me your lock[new or used] and key and I can recode the lock to match your old key. For free.

And after he sends the key to you please make a copy for me, so the next time I am in SanFran I know where to get supplies...
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: Help, trunk lock just broke! - 06/16/14 04:34 AM

You have the key and model specific rod.take it all to your locksmith and he will most likely be able to procure and code it for you.one stop done,will work right,and honestly probably be cheaper than buying stuff and carrying it in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums