Moparts

Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy?

Posted By: 73cuda340

Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/11/14 11:56 PM

I ordered a mopar viscous fan package P4120758 from summit racing about two months ago and it is still on back order. Every other place I can think of is out of stock too. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Thanks
Posted By: GTX4spd

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 12:03 AM

Don't know if they still carry 'em, but a few years back I got one from Advance Auto that was identical, even the part #, to my original, if originality is what you're after. Confess that I'm not familiar with the MoPar unit.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 12:08 AM

I would cancel the order and look for the original fan then see what size clutch will fit, a good many guys who have ordered the mopar unit could not use the clutch because it was to long.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 12:09 AM

I "pieced" mine together on e-bay. I got the jag clutch (wish it was longer) and a used 5 blade viscous fan for under $60 (for both). Works just fine. We'll see if it's an improvement at the track at some point.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 01:57 PM

I just took a refresher course on the subject. I had totally forgot about this. If anybody's interested:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...amp;Search=true
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 03:03 PM

Just a side note.
if you have to replace the clutch, replace the water pump at the same time.

a damaged clutch can cause the wp to die sooner than you might think.

lost a rad because of that. just cheap insurance.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 04:50 PM

If looks are not an issue, just grab one off an 80's Ram somewhere.

Usually free or $10 from a wrecker.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 05:58 PM

There is a new one in IIRC parts ad here.Rocky
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 08:06 PM

That mid-80s Fifth Avenue had one stock. You know, the maroon or dark blue Fifth sitting over in the corner of the PnP yard?

R.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 11:10 PM

Yup, 80's 5th Aves and Rams had 'em stock. Some later Rams with Magnums may look similar, but their water pumps rotate opposite so stay away from them.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 06/12/14 11:16 PM

I have a brand new set-up still in the box. Pm if interested. They have been back ordered for awhile now..

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/03/14 01:48 AM

I found some. www.moparproshop.com. They said they had four left in stock.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/03/14 03:15 AM

I got mine from Mancini... out of stock now. They have the clutch only but $$.

To piece it together, suggest a JY fan. I understand later 70's used the 5 blade fan. That plus a standard duty thermal fan clutch from NAPA would be close.
Posted By: red 69 runner

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/05/14 01:40 AM

I got my 7 blade fan from http://www.tonysparts.com/.he sells the repopped clutch just like the originals,$200.00 for the clutch and $145 for the fan blade used.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/06/14 10:49 PM

after have bought several clutches, From hayden to MP, and having AC ( then 7 blades fan ), got from Advance autoparts IMPERIAL Brand HD... which even seems to be made by Hayden, works WAY BETTER and same priced ( or cheaper )
Posted By: BDW

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/06/14 10:59 PM

Got a PN for that?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/07/14 03:40 PM

let's see if the link works:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/radi...IdSearch=166788

should show all Imperial units from non thermal to heavy duty.

In fact Imperial seems to be the only Advance offers, because on search I didn't specified any brand.

made the search to my 74 Charger with 400. Got the Heavy Duty due the AC setup.

MP unit is not HD, just Thermal.

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 12:12 AM

I just received my fan. I thought the viscous fan kits were a five blade fan, however I received a six blade fan. Also there is a sticker on the one fan blade that states that the maximum rpm for the fan is 4,000 rpm. Is this right?
Posted By: floyd

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 12:16 AM

I just bought one from Galena Chrysler Jeep in SC. Website shows this:

http://www.moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/1889

The clutch unit in the pic is pretty nice and the back looks very similar to an original viscous unit (front is totally different of course)

Attached picture 8203376-P4120758.jpg

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 12:17 AM

I got this piece of crap

Attached picture 8203377-IMG_9469.JPG

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 12:19 AM

Back side.

I called and was told Chrysler now uses the one I got and they haven't updated their website.

I returned it today. I was told I wouldn't be charged the 15% restocking fee but I think the shipping both ways is going to be tough to recover.

Sux

Attached picture 8203379-IMG_9470.JPG

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 12:28 AM

That's the same exact one that I received. The wouldn't pay the return shipping for you?

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 01:01 AM

Quote:

I just received my fan. I thought the viscous fan kits were a five blade fan, however I received a six blade fan. Also there is a sticker on the one fan blade that states that the maximum rpm for the fan is 4,000 rpm. Is this right?

On the max RPM, I understand the viscous drive acts as a speed governor when engine RPM gets high. As a general observation this basic setup is used on a lot of warmed up engines, mine included, without problem.

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 01:05 AM

My car will see time at the strip. Do you see this as a problem? I don't really feel comfortable with that rating and as stated earlier by Floyd, the fan seems to be very low quality.

Re: Mopar Viscous fan. Where to buy? - 07/10/14 10:03 PM

I know the factory fan/clutch as well as Hayden replacement thermal/viscous clutches can take strip time. Don't know about that particular unit. If not sure, I'd suggest return it and find a JY fan and match it up with a Hayden clutch from NAPA.

I understand the late 70's 318/360 used a fan that is same/similar to the 5 blade MP used to offer. If you need more cooling, there are 7 blade fans. I have one from my '78 400 core out of a Cordoba. The 7 blade would need the heavy duty replacement clutch.

Bouchillon used to offer a 6 blade fan also.
© 2024 Moparts Forums