Moparts

Speedometer Cable

Posted By: MoparDan

Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 03:31 AM

over a year ago, my (new when I restored; 1500 miles ago) speedo cable started rattling like crazy while driving.
I unplugged it from the back of speedometer, and then pulled the inner cable from the housing.
I want to fix and re-install.
** Does it need some grease coating on it as I reinstall?
I believe the rattle was the cable smacking/rattling against the sides of the cable housing..?
Will a little bearing grease fix that. Never had a problem, then suddenly noise. The (newer) cable was dry when I pulled it a year ago.
Thanks in advance!!
1971 road runner
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 03:51 AM

Yes you need grease. I bought a cut to fit inner cable and it came with a mini bubble pack of green grease. I wouldn't be afraid to use wheel bearing grease unless someone says that that is a bad idea
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 03:53 AM

Vaseline or white lube.
Posted By: MoparDan

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 04:03 AM

Thanks guys, thats what I thought. When I bought the cable from Dodge dealer, came with no grease, just together in plastic.
Stumpy: would'nt white grease (and vasoline) just liquefy with minimal heat; while bearing grease would stay solid?
Thanks!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 04:22 AM

You don't want it solid packed. It doesn't run in grease. You just want a very light coating on the cable core. Shouldn't be any heat inside the cable housing normally.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 04:56 PM

A cable is long compared to the end that drives it. Any #2 grease is too heavy. Use it and you run the risk of shearing the end off.

Just a light coating of Vaseline would work well. For a different scent inside the car, use a light coating of Vicks Vaporub.

R.
Posted By: wvmarv

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 06:39 PM

Yea, you'll have a well lubed cable and clear sinuses. Lol
Posted By: feets

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 08:06 PM

I used white lithium grease on my speedo cable.
Posted By: 1970A66

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/10/14 09:40 PM

I've read this is good. And it comes with an applicator.......
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Speedometer Cable - 06/11/14 06:28 PM

Multi-purpose!

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums