Moparts

AM/FM Radio ID

Posted By: RobX4406

AM/FM Radio ID - 05/21/14 01:04 AM

I pulled this AM/FM radio out of a 70 Swinger 340 car that I have. The car came with a AM radio, so someone swapped this in. None of the wires appear to be cut or mangled. All of the stickers are so faded they can't be read or gone.

Thanks

Rob
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/21/14 01:35 AM

Those look like the brackets for a 68-69 Barracuda radio, but they usually say PLYMOUTH SOLID STATE. I guess they would be the same for any ralley dash.

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 05:53 PM

Anybody have a positive ID for this thing?

Lewis?
Posted By: krisiesmopes

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 06:01 PM

I would say 68 and 69 B body, with a 69 Barracuda faceplate mounted to the front.
Posted By: Canucklehead

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 06:03 PM

Definitely 70 340 Swinger, one year only, Dodge only, rally dash only. Never figured out why they put Chrysler solid state instead of Dart solid state like the previous years.
Posted By: FrobCano

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 06:08 PM

I second the Swinger ('70) answer. Let me see if I can get my friend to post a similar pic from his.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 08:12 PM

The black plastic pushbuttons tell us it's a 68-9 B body radio that someone has swapped the 68-9 Barracuda chrome bezel and lense on to.
The other obvious sign will be the location of the mounting stud .
It will be on the back of the radio for the B body, and on the bottom cover plate
for the A bodies , and rallye dash and non rallye dash A bodies used two diffrent locations , note the DV(Dart Valiant) and B(Barracuda) stamped in to the bottom .
Had it been a correct 1970 Duster 340/Dart Swinger 340 it would have had the same fat chrome push buttons as found on the 68-9 Barracuda and Valiant. The thin chrome push buttons are unique to 68-9 Dart .
I see alot of these "Frankenstein radios" where someone has taken 2 and somtimes 3 diffrent radios and tried to make something that fit their application.

Greg

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 08:33 PM

It has DV and B stamped in the bottom plate and has a bottom mount on it.

So it is an A body?

The buttons can be swapped out?

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Canucklehead

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 09:14 PM

Quote:

The black plastic pushbuttons tell us it's a 68-9 B body radio that someone has swapped the 68-9 Barracuda chrome bezel and lense on to.
The other obvious sign will be the location of the mounting stud .
It will be on the back of the radio for the B body, and on the bottom cover plate
for the A bodies , and rallye dash and non rallye dash A bodies used two diffrent locations , note the DV(Dart Valiant) and B(Barracuda) stamped in to the bottom .
Had it been a correct 1970 Duster 340/Dart Swinger 340 it would have had the same fat chrome push buttons as found on the 68-9 Barracuda and Valiant. The thin chrome push buttons are unique to 68-9 Dart .
I see alot of these "Frankenstein radios" where someone has taken 2 and somtimes 3 diffrent radios and tried to make something that fit their application.

Greg

Wouldn't it make more sense that the buttons were changed? The chrome didn't seem to last.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/22/14 10:57 PM

Is their a mounting stud on the back as well ? The bottom cover plate can easily be swapped between A and B body . As far as the buttons, they can be swapped as well, but most people do not know how to do it without damaging something. The bezel/ lense swap is simple and would be my guess.
If their is a stud on the back of the radio, or evidence where the stud was , then It was a B body that someone swapped the chrome bezel, lense and bottom cover plate from an A body rallye dash car .
If their is no stud on back , or evidence where it was, then it would appear to be an A body rallye dash radio that someone swapped 68-9 B body black pushbuttons on to.

Greg

Re: AM/FM Radio ID - 05/23/14 12:06 AM

Quote:

Is their a mounting stud on the back as well ? The bottom cover plate can easily be swapped between A and B body . As far as the buttons, they can be swapped as well, but most people do not know how to do it without damaging something. The bezel/ lense swap is simple and would be my guess.
If their is a stud on the back of the radio, or evidence where the stud was , then It was a B body that someone swapped the chrome bezel, lense and bottom cover plate from an A body rallye dash car .
If their is no stud on back , or evidence where it was, then it would appear to be an A body rallye dash radio that someone swapped 68-9 B body black pushbuttons on to.

Greg

Doesn't appear to have a stud on rear.

Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Moparts Forums