Moparts

Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 02:50 AM

I have been doing so searching, it appears that this is a very common problem. Back driver side on mine is leaking. I was using rubber coated cork.

From the searching it appears that Mr Gasket Ultras might be the ticket? Anything better these days?

I am going to make sure they are not hitting on anything (383 with 906 heads and RPM intake). But I don't think they are. They rock on the head without a gasket.

Thanks!
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 03:03 AM

Iv had 1 SB set and 2 BB sets. Never had a single leak..
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 03:35 AM

Got a set of 'hi-temp' gaskets under cast covers...

They have been leak-free for a lot of years...

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 03:40 AM

Quote:

Got a set of 'hi-temp' gaskets under cast covers...

They have been leak-free for a lot of years...

Have a P/N? Thanks!
Posted By: ahy

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 04:21 AM

I have the MP covers and have had the best luck with Felpro standard cork/rubber. I have the super thick ones on now... they stopped leaking after I re-torqued (gently) for about the 3'rd time. Not a fan of the super thick gaskets.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 04:48 AM

My kid put his on the 413 about 4 years ago.Used the Mr Gasket Ultras.No leaks.They are the only gaskets we run.Ive had covers off a few times and they still seal.We use there header gaskets also with great results.Rocky
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 04:57 AM

Check with board member Greg - fantastic gaskets

http://www.superformanceproducts.com/
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 05:49 AM

I siliconed the gasket to the valve cover, but not to the head.

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 01:18 PM

I have a set of Mr Gasket Ultras on the way (thanks Jegs!).

I am going to glue them to the cover, but not the head. Hopefully they are thick enough to seal without having to crank down on the valve cover too much and risk cracking it.

If I can't get them to seal I'll probably go back to a set of stamped steel covers that will better contour to the imperfections on the head mating surface.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 02:01 PM

There is no magic gasket for bad components however, when those gaskets wear out you may want to give these a try.
We are local to you also
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=2#Post7855502
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 02:26 PM

Once while I was working on the rockers, I had a leak with my MP Covers and a 440. What I did was use a VERY THIN coating of high-temp ATV on the covers to hold the gasket in place. Once it was dried, I fitted it onto the heads and lightly tightened it.

Ever since then can remove the covers and replace them and have experienced no leaks.

I would get a new set of rubber gaskets and try that.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 04:54 PM

So what's a hi-temp ATV? Honda? Polaris?

No worries, I know you meant to say RTV...

R.
Posted By: Torquemonster440

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/07/14 05:13 PM

I run M/T cast covers on my 440.What helped me was switching to valve cover studs instead of bolts. The studs help align everything much easier... (no more fishing around for the hole in the back corner). Torque to 30 inch lbs. No leaks.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 03:48 AM

Quote:

Check with board member Greg - fantastic gaskets

http://www.superformanceproducts.com/

Best gaskets money can buy and he's only 15 minutes away
Andy all you had to do was give Greg a call and you would have the "good gaskets"
Gus

Attached picture 8137729-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 03:59 AM

I just switched from my chrome valve covers to the MP Polished cast aluminum valve covers and used the felpro 1612 high temp gaskets. I used Felpro Right Stuff to glue them to the valve cover and so far no leaks. I also used the bolts instead of studs on my covers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1612

Attached picture 8137741-image.jpg
Posted By: mike s

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 08:22 AM

Moroso rubber over steel ,no sealer and never a leak.Stamped covers, cast or fabbed.Stock cyl heads or aftermarket with a machined rail.Expensive as the best usually is.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 12:53 PM

Quote:

I siliconed the gasket to the valve cover, but not to the head.

That's what I did too. No leaks and I had my covers on and off all the time due to adjusting the valve lash on mechanical cam.

Attached picture 8137941-enginecompartment1.JPG
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 01:00 PM

DOOH! Yes, RTV!
Posted By: feets

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 05:59 PM

How bad do they rock? If the flange is flat you can lap it on a flat surface using sandpaper to straighten it out a bit.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/08/14 06:06 PM

Quote:

Moroso rubber over steel ,no sealer and never a leak.Stamped covers, cast or fabbed.Stock cyl heads or aftermarket with a machined rail.Expensive as the best usually is.

This.

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/09/14 11:27 PM

The issue is the head. The rail is not straight. I put a straight edge across it and it is off by quite a bit.

I ended up double stacking the new gaskets. I am not thrilled the the setup, but it is not leaking. The Mr Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets are pretty thin, not too impressed with them in that regard. If someone sells a thicker gasket I would like to try a single thick gasket.

Engine compartment is coming together, still more work and cleanup to do. Starts right up, fuel system is working (sumped stock tank, new lines, and RacePump mechanical pump, regulator, etc.).

Attached picture 8139317-IMG_6945.JPG
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/10/14 12:02 AM

With factory heads and cast covers I,ve had good luck with these gaskets from sce , they are 1/4 " thick.

http://scegaskets.com/product/sce-gaskets-part-number-264076/

Hylomar or permatex #2 on the cover side
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Mopar Performance Cast Covers Leak - 05/10/14 12:39 AM

The Felpro 1612 are .172 thick.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1612
© 2024 Moparts Forums