Moparts

C Body front subframe

Posted By: KingTuna

C Body front subframe - 04/11/14 08:34 PM

I was doing some research, and I saw where someone said you can interchange the front subframes on the 66-73 C bodies. I have a 73 new yorker donor car for parts, and was wondering what all it would take to swap the front subframes. My thinking behind this is that the new yorker should have larger torsion bars up front, and should help with handling in the Fury once I drop the 440 in. Also, I am planning on using the disc brakes from the New Yorker, so swapping sub frames would accomplish that. What are your thoughts on this, and would the extra work be worth the outcome?
Posted By: KingTuna

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/11/14 09:29 PM

Ok, so just found out that the subframes will not interchange. Stupid me.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/11/14 10:27 PM

i have a '68 NY with power disc front brakes complete. parting out car.
Posted By: ZWM300

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/12/14 04:49 AM

The brake swap is the easier of the two anyway. I converted my 66 300 to discs from a 73 nyr with no problems- def a huge improvement. I highly suggested the dual master cylinder too.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/12/14 12:55 PM

Quote:

Ok, so just found out that the subframes will not interchange.

Why do you say that?
Posted By: feets

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/12/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you say that?

Some will interchange while others won't. I don't recall the matching arrangements.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/13/14 01:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you say that?

Some will interchange while others won't. I don't recall the matching arrangements.

All 65-73 are interchangable even though there are differences between them.

Plymouth stub frames were 2" shorter from 1965 to 1968(?) than Dodge and Chrysler. But they all interchange.
1968-1973 Imp stub frames are a different design but still interchange.

The key is that all the body mounting locations are the same regardless of make, model, and year.

I once heard 74-78 stub frames will also
interchange but I never seen it done so I won't say that they can also.

Nowhere did I say they were all identical.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/13/14 03:49 PM

In ' 70 or '71 they changed the way the subframe is mounted to the car. The earlier ones are bolted solidly to the body, while later ones have rubber mounts. When they did this, they also made them longer. A 65 subframe ends at the transmission crossmember, but a 73 has has extra "leg" that goes extends to the end of the front door.

Also a Plymouth subframe is only interchangeable with another Plymouth, as they use shorter torsion bars. Dodge and Chrysler are the same year to year, except 1972-73 Dodge, which is the same as Plymouth for those years.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/13/14 03:52 PM

Also Imperial subframes do NOT interchange with C bodies, they are 3" longer than a Chrysler sub. Derby guys "make" them fit because of their strength but they are not a bolt in.

67 Chrysler sub on the left, 70 Imperial on the right.

Attached picture 8110916-image.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: C Body front subframe - 04/13/14 06:21 PM

Plus Imps used a different bolt pattern on the wheels.I had to get a GM rotor at the JY for one of mine.You dont want discs that are the old 4 pistons.Lots of $$$$ to repair if you can find parts.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums