Moparts

Ghost in the machine?

Posted By: Kowal

Ghost in the machine? - 04/06/14 12:20 AM

Have something curious going on with my 69 Superbee.

In the quiet of the garage, car just sitting with no key in the ignition, about every 15 minutes or so you can hear one of the horns buzz for a fraction of a second (the one closest on the circuit to the harness).

I tightened all the grounds on the horns, firewall, engine. I changed the horn relay. No difference.

Thoughts as to what is going on? The horns work great as normal, nice clear sound.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/06/14 12:54 AM

Maybe a short in the horn button under the steering wheel.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/06/14 01:20 AM

It'd have to be in the horn relay or in the ground circuit back to the col as Stump said. New relay so it'd have to be in the col or from the relay to the col. I would seperate the bulkhead that houses that circuit for a quick visual then plug it back together then seperate the dangling column harness & if it stops then the prob is in that harness from there (the pull apart connector) up to the horn button
Posted By: SportF

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/06/14 03:19 PM

Does your car have a clock in it?

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/06/14 06:50 PM

it does have a clock in it, one that works sometimes. ?
Posted By: SportF

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/07/14 03:07 AM

Well, that noise isn't the clock re-winding instead of the horns making noise, is it? If it happens with regularity, I bet that is what it is.

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/07/14 12:26 PM

Interesting idea. The noise is very, very, regular. Something that I thought was quite weird.

Good ideas all, I will try and inspect everything this week.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Ghost in the machine? - 04/07/14 12:37 PM

I agree with the clock thought. Unplug the horns and see if it still occurs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums