Moparts

A Body stock length axles

Posted By: Sixgun

A Body stock length axles - 03/23/14 06:57 PM

Hey, before I moved, I made a friend a deal on some afermarket axles,and a 8&3/4 housing (wide) to cut, which I NEVER actually checked.
They were obviously aftermarket, with the long straight splines, no neck down,supposedly stock A body width.They came "loose" in the housing with my 68 FB,His #s for what he was doing with his '37 Ford PU
(a 30+ year project,moved from NY to HI on a pallet)
suggested that he could use an A body setup.
Just talked to him t'other day and he was a little bent, as he said the axles were too short?
I found this interesting as he had no stock A housing to try them in???!!!
So what is the outside flange to axle tip measurement on A body L&R axles?
Like to clear this up.He said he and the axle shortening guy 'made it work'.
Thanks,Case
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A Body stock length axles - 03/23/14 07:15 PM

Hey Bear. I've been doing alot of rear end work lately so the specs are fresh in my head. A body 8&3/4 housing bare flange to flange is 52 & 5/8. From recent (multiple) conversations with Moser, BBP axles suitable for being cutdown, you hook the tape over the flange & you need 28" or more before it starts to taper (that is with the big (non A body) brakes) & that 28" length required MAY or MAY NOT be a bit less with the small (10x1&3/4) A body specific brakes (shoes/backing plate/drums) EDIT reread your post & I dont have the stock SBP A body axles handy at the moment to check for you.
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: A Body stock length axles - 03/23/14 07:27 PM

'Sallright, Rob! That housing measurement is good info to start with!
It is highly possible that whoever bought those new ordered them wrong?!!
Just trying to verify.
They were drilled for 3 bolt patterns, too,
and he complained about having to remove the green bearings to get the studs out to tap the 4&1/2" hole pattern?Whatever...
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: A Body stock length axles - 03/23/14 07:29 PM

Stock length for A body
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

If you go from SBP to BBP using a stock A rear housing add about 5/16 due to the greater standoff distance.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A Body stock length axles - 03/23/14 07:38 PM

Yeah I'd request some measurements from him. 3 bolt patterns , I was gonna redrill some SBP axles for 4.5"/1/2" studs & there was not enough meat for that at least on mine as I have known that to be done sucessfully (with threaded not splined axle studs). Circle track app & the smaller brakes would save a slight bit of weight (it all adds up) & the lug centric lugs/wheels would negate the center register not mating up. Good luck with it & holler how it goes & what the problem ends up being
© 2024 Moparts Forums