Moparts

best mechanical fan for big block

Posted By: dangina

best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 02:52 PM

for reliability I would like to keep the stock fan setup. Question whats the best to buy out there? flexalite? viscous?
Posted By: therocks

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 03:36 PM

We run Summits stainless flex fans.IIRC mine is 18 inchs on my 65 440 with shroud.Its been on at least 20 years.Keeps the BB at 180 all day even when its in the 90s.My kids 413 runs the same with no shroud and has been on at least 8 years.Had a smaller one on my Jeep years ago.I ran it for at least 10 years and plowed with it.It almost ran too cold in the winter.Rocky
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 03:51 PM

Quote:

for reliability I would like to keep the stock fan setup. Question whats the best to buy out there? flexalite? viscous?

not to step on Rocky's toes but i've used the stock viscous fan setup for years without issue.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 03:58 PM

It used to be the Mopar Performance viscous fan package. But I think they have got real expensive?

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 04:07 PM

Quote:

It used to be the Mopar Performance viscous fan package. But I think they have got real expensive?

$120 from Mancini. that's where i got mine years ago but i can't remember what i paid
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 06:23 PM

Personally,I wouldn't give any flex fan room under my hood but that's just me.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

We run Summits stainless flex fans.IIRC mine is 18 inchs on my 65 440 with shroud.Its been on at least 20 years.Keeps the BB at 180 all day even when its in the 90s.My kids 413 runs the same with no shroud and has been on at least 8 years.Had a smaller one on my Jeep years ago.I ran it for at least 10 years and plowed with it.It almost ran too cold in the winter.Rocky

another vote for the stainless blades of death. Sure they will cut you open if you so much as look at them crooked, but they do an awesome job cooling. When I ran one I painted it black so it wasnt so obvious.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/23/14 10:37 PM

I'm using the 5 blade MP viscous fan on my car now and I like it. I have used the one piece plastic fan on my old engine and that thing really moved some air.
Gus

Attached picture 8085650-frontveiwsavoy.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 12:59 AM

Clutch fan which I'm assuming is what is meant by Viscous. With a thermal clutch they only work when needed and yes with a shroud they will move some air.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 03:23 AM

thanks guys was thinking of picking up the viscous one from mancini
Posted By: ahy

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 03:42 AM

I run the 5 blade MP thermal viscous setup on a 496 with shroud. It cools great in an AC application. I have a 7 blade fan as backup but haven't used it. If you have your stock fan, the Hayden thermal vicious clutches are supposed to be pretty good. The standard duty clutch matches with a standard fan. The heavy duty is for the 7 blade. I haven't needed it as the MP kit has worked fine.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 02:35 PM

The MP fan kit is nice but expensive. I run the Summit 18.5" plastic fan. It works well and it's easy to install and work around. Flex fans are heavy and tend to cut fingers/knuckles.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 02:38 PM

So basically there is no general consensus.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 03:12 PM

Quote:

come on, this is Moparts! did you really expect one?? i think the one thing we will all agree on with this is the shroud. gotta have it...
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 03:13 PM

Viscous with clutch.
I also have a non-clutch Viscous fan.

Attached picture 8086543-motor(3).JPG
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 03:16 PM

I have the 7-blade Mopar Clutch fan with a Hayden viscous. Always with a shroud. 440+727. Used to never get past 170º..These days it climbs to 200º...but I have to flush my cooling, its been years.

I couldn't find any for my buddy's 72' Roadrunner so we opted for the 5-blade with viscous clutch. His is a 440 4spd car and his temperature never gets past 170º.

Had another friend with a 68 Coronet 383 and he had a flex fan on his until it committed suicide...the fan blade sheared clean off and shredded his hood....It was half in and half out of the hood. Luckily he was driving and not adjusting something under the hood...could have proven fatal

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 04:42 PM

Dont really need a shroud.Look at a lot of OE Mopars.Most did not have shrouds.Ive had them since the 60s and most didnt have a shroud.Rocky

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 04:45 PM

Depends on the year also.My 65 you are hard pressed to put a clutch fan on.66 up not a problem.My SS flex is as light as a plastic one.Been on like I said at least 20 years and no problems.Only fan I had break was a factory steel one.Luckily it was on start up and didnt do much damage.Rocky
Posted By: Sport440

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

There is only one Best Mechanical Fan

That would be the stock Viscous. It moves the air and consumes the Least amount of HP of All the other mechanical fans.

But I did use the Summit black plastic fan on my last build because it was so light. Only to learn later that it was one of the bigger HP consumers of all the other tested fans.

That Fan test is still floating around somewhere here on Moparts.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 05:39 PM

just my
edit: Radiator- Spectra CU332
Fan Clutch- Hayden 2765 (Jaguar)
Fan Shroud- P2785434 mopar#
Fan- 18" (could have easily fit a 19")
Upper Hose- 70624 trim to fit
Lower Hose- 70592 trim to fit

Attached picture 8086705-009(3).JPG
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/24/14 05:42 PM

I run a Chrysler seven blade fan that does not have a clutch. Seen too many clutch assemblies that had come apart and taken out hoods and various other things even when they were two years old. If you are planning to spin the motor higher than stock I would look at running just the fan. Stock well use a clutch it looks nice if you can see it through the rad or behind the shroud. It all depends on what you do with your car. The cooling system is not just a fan it is a rad, water pump housing, pump, thermostat, antifreeze, fan Shroud, fan belt system and all piece must work together to cool your motor.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That would be the stock Viscous. It moves the air and consumes the Least amount of HP of All the other mechanical fans.

But I did use the Summit black plastic fan on my last build because it was so light. Only to learn later that it was one of the bigger HP consumers of all the other tested fans.

Twas I that posted it. http://www.network54.com/Forum/215655/message/1066184641/Car+Craft+Cooling+Fan+Dyno+Test

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Twas I that posted it. http://www.network54.com/Forum/215655/message/1066184641/Car+Craft+Cooling+Fan+Dyno+Test

great article! I wonder how the mopar performance fan would have done...
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 02:56 PM

Quote:

just my

Attachment

--------------------
Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes

This would be much more helpful with part numbers and application

what radiator? shroud? and fan blade/clutch combo. thanks
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 05:44 PM

I use the mopar 5 blade on my charger. I don't have a shroud, never got around to installing one.
I use the jag fan clutch with it on a 22" radiator. Car runs 190*.

I had a flex fan blade break off and shoot right through a fiberglass hood when I was in high school. Been scared of them ever since.
Posted By: feets

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 05:45 PM

Quote:

Yep!

I solved a cooling issue on a 71 Charger by removing the flex fan and installing a thermal clutch and 7 blade fan off an old New Yorker.
They made it from DFW back to Ohio with no issues despite not having a shroud.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 06:42 PM

Quote:

I use the mopar 5 blade on my charger. I don't have a shroud, never got around to installing one.
I use the jag fan clutch with it on a 22" radiator. Car runs 190*.

I had a flex fan blade break off and shoot right through a fiberglass hood when I was in high school. Been scared of them ever since.

....I won't even lean over a fender of ANY vehicle with a flex fan!!!
I recall over 30 years ago, one of my mechanics was setting timing on a '71 Road Runner 383 which the owner had installed a flex fan blade.
Just as he was bringing the RPM up to check total timing, a blade decided to part company...it hit his arm just above the elbow....was a NASTY mess. At least it was only his arm....could of been his head. STAY FAR FAR AWAY from a flex blade!!!

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/25/14 09:01 PM

Joshs68 - i LOVE the stance of that Charger!
Posted By: cal_gecko

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/26/14 08:10 AM

Very interesting info... I'm using the fixed 5-blade fan on my 360.. the fact that SO much horsepower is lost by using that fan (according to the attached article) is MIND blowing to me .. I would have thought 3-5 horsepower .. .NOT 40+ hp!!!!

Attached picture 8089035-photo2.JPG

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/26/14 09:57 AM

Seriously thinking about buying an electric fan setup from Summit or something ... I hate the sound of the mechanical fan... and without a shroud, I don't think it's going to keep up with the Sacramento summer ...

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/26/14 01:58 PM

So there is no consensus then....
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/26/14 02:28 PM

"But I did use the Summit black plastic fan on my last build because it was so light. Only to learn later that it was one of the bigger HP consumers of all the other tested fans."

I saw the same artical, I might go ahead and pick up a MP unit. I think it was 30hp loss or was that the standard steel 5 blade?

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/26/14 04:13 PM

Quote:

just my
edit: Radiator- Spectra CU332
Fan Clutch- Hayden 2765 (Jaguar)
Fan Shroud-
Fan- 18" (could have easily fit a 19")
Upper Hose- 70624 trim to fit
Lower Hose- 70592 trim to fit

*Updated* Installed in a '70 Swinger.
as soon as I find the Shroud # I will post it.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/27/14 06:16 PM

Quote:

Seriously thinking about buying an electric fan setup from Summit or something ... I hate the sound of the mechanical fan... and without a shroud, I don't think it's going to keep up with the Sacramento summer ...

Stuff a thermostatic fan in there and you'll be good to go. They make a bit of noise at first start up but they quiet down once the fluid starts moving.

If it'll cool in Texas it'll cool in Sacto.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/27/14 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stuff a thermostatic fan in there and you'll be good to go. They make a bit of noise at first start up but they quiet down once the fluid starts moving.

If it'll cool in Texas it'll cool in Sacto.

showing my ignorance (it happens frequently).. never heard the term "thermostatic fan" ... searched Summit and narrowed down the results to fans.. got this one .. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4908/overview/ are you talking about an electric fan?

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 12:25 AM

No shame in asking questions. I should have said thermal instead of thermostatic.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 01:17 AM

Quote:

No shame in asking questions. I should have said thermal instead of thermostatic.

Thanks .. so do these cool more effectively than a fixed fan like I have?
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 04:00 AM

40 hp loss from running a solid fan? Heck if I knew that I would have bought an electric fan instead of a set of edelbrock heads .
Anybody ever test it their self on a dyno or at the track?
I never fully trust magazine articles, they aren't going to tell you your $5 junkyard part is pefectly fine to use, or that the difference is small enough too not worry about.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 04:51 AM

Go to the junk yard and get a fan out of an 80's Diplomat/New Yorker. Looks just like the fan and clutch that mopar performance sells only cheaper.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 07:02 AM

Quote:

Go to the junk yard and get a fan out of an 80's Diplomat/New Yorker. Looks just like the fan and clutch that mopar performance sells only cheaper.

don't know if I've ever seen one of those at a junkyard!

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/28/14 09:09 AM

wow I knew I opened a can of worms with this topic I bought the mp fan and shroud, better safe than sorry

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/29/14 12:52 AM

Found one on an 86 Chrysler 5th ave with 318. Worth a shot
Posted By: dezduster

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/29/14 03:46 PM

I had a raggedy 149000 mile 84 truck 360 in my duster a number of years back. I installed it complete except the truck oil pan and pickup it ran surprisingly well. One day while driving, I felt a shudder, noticeable power loss and much more fan noise. The thermal clutch had locked internally and was now like a solid 7 seven blade. I had bought a new radiator for the 340 being built so I installed it and removed the fan entirely. AMAZING it would catch a little second gear scratch. I drove it around several months without the fan in 90 to 100 degree weather if I were moving 20 mph temp stayed below 200.
Some time around then that car craft article came out and I bought the MP 5 blade thermal clutch package. Still on today works great.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/29/14 11:58 PM

Quote:

or a 5th AVE

X2

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 03/30/14 05:27 AM

Got the fan from a diplomat for $35, got a new thermal clutch from napa for it for $38... Got it on the car... Fan is close to trans cooler line, about half inch away.. But it seems good
Posted By: Sport440

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 04/08/14 11:28 PM

BTT for a Unlawful race member.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 04/09/14 06:34 AM

Always use a standard duty fan clutch and never a heavy duty on an engine with mods that will allow higher revs. Standard clutch fans slip about 20 percent more and a heavy duty can get you into a fan rpm safety issue. Hayden has a great website that explains it all. Hayden also sells fan blades that fit the clutch, cheap.

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 04/09/14 11:55 AM

Quote:

Always use a standard duty fan clutch and never a heavy duty on an engine with mods that will allow higher revs. Standard clutch fans slip about 20 percent more and a heavy duty can get you into a fan rpm safety issue. Hayden has a great website that explains it all. Hayden also sells fan blades that fit the clutch, cheap.

cool! how do you tell the difference between the standard and the heavy duty clutch?

Re: best mechanical fan for big block - 04/09/14 02:25 PM

Quote:

© 2024 Moparts Forums