Moparts

1968-70 Charger dash frame differance.

Posted By: LTLBEE

1968-70 Charger dash frame differance. - 03/09/14 06:37 AM

What is the differance between the 68 to 70 Charger Rallye dash frames besides the ignition switch? I have a 1968 Charger and the dash frame is rusted out along the windshield. I can get a dash frame from a 1970 Charger that has no rust. I know that the 70 has no hole in the frame for the ignition switch but can I just add the hole and bracket to the 70 dash for the ignition switch and then transfer everything from my 68 dash frame to the 70 dash frame?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 1968-70 Charger dash frame differance. - 03/09/14 03:53 PM

They are all different. 68 Used a different dash pad. It's thin and sticks out more. 69 used a bigger shorter pad and the 70 had the key in the column. I think an ac dash is different as well.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 1968-70 Charger dash frame differance. - 03/09/14 07:44 PM

Quote:

They are all different. 68 Used a different dash pad. It's thin and sticks out more. 69 used a bigger shorter pad and the 70 had the key in the column. I think an ac dash is different as well.

Agreed.....look for a dash out of a 68 Charger or Super Bee. If you change to a 70 there are many differences from the 68 including: all lower pad mounting, glove box door mounting, ignition switch location, upper dash pad etc.
Only way I would go to a 70 would be if you can get a complete assembly to bolt in.
Posted By: GLR

Re: 1968-70 Charger dash frame differance. - 03/09/14 10:01 PM

What I done done before if the upper steel part is rusted out were it bolts to the inside of the cowl, I have taken any 68-70 dash and cut the spot welds -were the top of the dash and the underside of the dash is spot welded together and a few spot welds on along the sides and a couple were the defroster ducts are and separate the top from the bottom,/underside is...and just replace the top, they are all the same. I have done this for customers a few times.
Posted By: LTLBEE

Re: 1968-70 Charger dash frame differance. - 03/10/14 12:02 AM

Quote:

What I done done before if the upper steel part is rusted out were it bolts to the inside of the cowl, I have taken any 68-70 dash and cut the spot welds -were the top of the dash and the underside of the dash is spot welded together and a few spot welds on along the sides and a couple were the defroster ducts are and separate the top from the bottom,/underside is...and just replace the top, they are all the same. I have done this for customers a few times.

This is what I will do since I already have a regular dash that was cut up around the steering column.
Thanks for the help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums