Moparts

for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ?

Posted By: mcmopars

for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 02:47 PM

i know its a no no.but i ran a rubber fuel line from my fuel pump,wire tied to the alternator,to a cheap chrome filter,then braided to the fuel rail.it was like this for 10 years.took it in for an alignment one day,i smelled gas going down the highway.i should have stopped and investicated but did not.pulled it in the shop and started up on the rack and they yelled shut it off.we pushed it back out and i about [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] my self.the hose had split at the barbed connector comming off the outlet of the pump,spraying fuel on the alternator,the fan sprayed it over everything.i dont know in gods name how it was not a disaster.it is all braided now.please dont ever cut corners,my very nice duster should have been burnt to the ground.please double check yours if you have any doubts.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 02:50 PM

Yeesh, sounds like a very close call. Very glad to hear it wasn't worse!
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 02:52 PM

people have run rubber hoses for years..its just that yours was very old..lucky you saved your car..but yes old hoses should be checked and changed out..good reminder to all
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 06:15 PM

as a general rule, rubber should be changed out every 5 years or so.
belts, hoses, etc..

many people don't bother, but that is the general rule, and would have saved you the close call.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 07:02 PM

Even braided line should be used sparingly, only short pieces where rubber hoses were used from the factory. Steel lines should be used along the frame rails just like the factory did because it's best out of all the choices.

Braided line wears out from the inside out just like regular rubber hose does, that's why you should use minimal braided, plus it cor roads on the street, the fittings.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 10:03 PM

Although steel braided is nice in the engine bay, I keep away from it. When it blows, you never know where is leaking from. The sure fire way to get your fuel, keep it cooled (compares to a tube of rubber covered in metal) is the steel line. Spend the extra time with a tubing bender and do it right, looks clean in the engine bay. Doesn't corrode...and when you go to car shows, people know you spent some extra time on your project instead of running a hose with metal on it. For race cars I can see it that go to the track every weekend...but they also change out their hoses very often.

Glad you didnt have a bigger scare and tragedy on your hands
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: for anyone who runs rubber fuel hose,almost disaster ? - 02/17/14 10:08 PM

Go with EFI hose it can handle the pressure and withstand todays ethanol blends I hate braided had a new braided line leak onto ballast resistor! made a mess
© 2024 Moparts Forums