Moparts

Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed

Posted By: R6T8net

Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 03:33 PM

Looking for recommendations from the experts here on door skin crimping tools. My 68 Coronet RT is in need of patch panels along the lower door edge, the panels are cut but my test pieces are telling me I need something to help me wrap the edge. Thanks.
Posted By: reno340

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 03:45 PM

I've only ever used a hammer and dolley.

Posted By: cyphre666

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 04:57 PM

Yep, hammer and dolly will be your best tool
for the job
Posted By: R6T8net

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 05:19 PM

At the moment I do not have any bumping tools but I'm pretty sure the wife has me a set under the tree
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 06:50 PM

To lessen the chance of dent, fold a rag and put it between the skin and the dolly. It is hard to hold on to........but it will help. Just take your time, and don't beat the crap out of it.
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/24/08 07:15 PM

I did the bottom of my truck door with these but you probably would be better following the advice above I'm a rookie at body work, but these pliers worked good for me.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1657&itemType=PRODUCT
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/25/08 04:36 AM

Quote:

I did the bottom of my truck door with these but you probably would be better following the advice above I'm a rookie at body work, but these pliers worked good for me.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1657&itemType=PRODUCT

The pliers that you listed are more for putting a drop flange into panels to overlap repair panels, etc. I think he is trying to hem the edge around the doors. In that case the hammer and dolly block is usually what is used.
Posted By: RalleyA12

Re: Door skin crimping tool recommendation needed - 12/29/08 06:12 PM

Eastwood items: 52278, 31059, and 50484
© 2024 Moparts Forums