I noted the A/C work perfectly though.

Thanks for any advice,

Stu
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/07/14 06:31 AM

Seems to be going around.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8028537

Probably a blend door busted.

This is supposed to be the cure without having to pull the dash out of the truck.

http://www.heatertreater.net/magento/index.php/dodge/ram/02-08/dodge-ram-02-08.html

Kevin
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/07/14 06:34 AM

It might be your blower motor resistor. I had the same problem in my Durango. It is located near the blower motor. The easy way to see it is to take your glove box door off and you will see wires connected to it.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/07/14 06:43 AM

Quote:

It might be your blower motor resistor. I had the same problem in my Durango. It is located near the blower motor. The easy way to see it is to take your glove box door off and you will see wires connected to it.

Thaks Ricky, but I don't think it's the blower motor as it does blow forced air as it should but just not very hot.

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/07/14 06:44 AM

Quote:

Seems to be going around.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8028537

Probably a blend door busted.

This is supposed to be the cure without having to pull the dash out of the truck.

http://www.heatertreater.net/magento/index.php/dodge/ram/02-08/dodge-ram-02-08.html

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that other post seems to be exactly like my problem....
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 02:51 AM

Flush out the heater core,might be partially plugged up.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 03:11 AM

There are some really good Ram blend door videos on YouTube. How to get an idea which one needs replaced and how to do it without removing the dash.

My 2005 Ram has a problem with the passenger side not cooling when the ac is on.. I bought the doors last year but been put'n it off.

Ebay and AMAZON is where I bought mine

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 07:56 AM

Quote:

Flush out the heater core,might be partially plugged up.

That looks to be the cheapest thing to try first.

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 02:37 PM

I always try the easiest&cheapiest first can"t hurt,it could be the problem.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 04:50 PM

Flushing the core isn't easy either and is messy. Instead, when the engine is hot check both hoses with your hand. If one is hot and the other isn't the core is plugged. If they're both hot then the core isn't plugged.

Its unlikely the core is plugged unless you fill your rad with straight sewer water. My vote goes to the blend door.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 05:11 PM

They do plug as the tubes are TINY and aluminum. If you have ever seen one cut open it would take less than a teaspoon of crud to block it up. DAMHIK.

His symptoms point towards a blend door issue which they are famous for.

Kevin
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 05:18 PM

A couple years back I had this same problem on an 04 I had. I removed the blower motor from under the dash and reached my hand up inside and removed the broken blend doors through that opening. Installed the blower motor and all worked well for me. I think those doors are just for the recirculating air???

Either way it worked for me for the next couple of years and then I got an 07....

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/08/14 08:57 PM

Ok, thank you all for more good ideas and where to start looking!!
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/11/14 01:43 AM

Stu, sorry to tell you I had the same problem with my 2003. Tried blowing out the heater core, flushing it both ways, checked for the infamous blend door problem. After driving a 10 hr one way trip to pickup a car in December and freezing my butt off I took it into a local shop whom I trust.

He immediately said the core is plugged. Not the blend door. Sees it all the time. Has something to do with the design of the core seeming to plug up easier than most. I bit the bullet and paid to have it switched out as it's a pretty involved job. Wow what a difference.

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/11/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

Stu, sorry to tell you I had the same problem with my 2003. Tried blowing out the heater core, flushing it both ways, checked for the infamous blend door problem. After driving a 10 hr one way trip to pickup a car in December and freezing my butt off I took it into a local shop whom I trust.

He immediately said the core is plugged. Not the blend door. Sees it all the time. Has something to do with the design of the core seeming to plug up easier than most. I bit the bullet and paid to have it switched out as it's a pretty involved job. Wow what a difference.

What kind of $$$ did it cost??
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/11/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What kind of $$$ did it cost??

It's not a "Wallet Friendly" job. About 6 1/2 hours.....at current shop rates plus parts it's a 800 buck job by the time you zap the A/C again.
But....after having seen 3 aftermarket cores leak shortly after being installed, I would highly recommend using the Mopar core...even if it's twice the price.

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/11/14 02:48 AM

Ok, thank you for the heads up.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/11/14 04:06 PM

Stu, I believe the bill was $500. They had to tear the dash pretty well apart, disconnect A/C, etc. It was an all day job. In looking at it I was really glad I didn't try it myself. Too old and stiff anymore.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/12/14 12:30 AM

Make sure you use the correct G05 coolant or equivalent if you change the core. Don't use the green stuff.......it will corrode the new aluminum core in about 5 months. DAMHIK

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/12/14 04:23 AM

If you have the core changed I would recommend changing the blend&mode doors it"s just a little more labor.I do these all the time4.5 hrs start to finish,I think mitchell says almost 8 hrs.

Re: Heater problem on 2003 Ram hemi - 02/12/14 05:49 AM

Thanks guys I am passing all this info on to my mechanic.
© 2024 Moparts Forums