Moparts

Help me get the best snow tires

Posted By: Crabra

Help me get the best snow tires - 12/24/08 12:06 AM

I am having a hell of a time this winter,sliding around in my truck.It's a 1998 dodge ram 2500 4x4.I have a set of bf goodrich commercial ta's.I have to have it in 4wd just to keep from sliding on any ice what so ever.Anybody got some ideas what to buy?Merry Christmas
Posted By: moparborn

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/24/08 12:13 AM

For ice conditions,a tire with alot of siping works best.
I have winterforce tires on my car and they are doing a good job so far.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/24/08 12:30 AM

I'm running a set of 265/65/16 Michelin LTX around in the snow an ice on my 4x4 and I am REALLY impressed. I've been on the prowl for the steepest hills in the area (and there are MANY) and I can crawl or blast up any of them. Stopping has been a breeze too.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/24/08 02:03 AM

You may want to check with local suppliers to see what brands (if any) are available

Manufacturers of snow tires make them earlier in the year. If demand is high then they are all gone.

One of the most populous provinces in Canada implemented a mandatory snow tire law this year. It has virtually exhausted all supplies of snow tires in Canada.
The shortage may have caused USA warehouses to ship inventory here also.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/24/08 11:33 AM

General Grabber 2s.My kid put a set on his 04 2 wd ram last year and I put a set on my Durango this year.They ride good dry and give good traction in snow.They are good off road also.Rocky
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/25/08 01:40 AM

You may also be limited on what you you can get being a 3/4 ton truck. I have a Ford F350 2wd and I had to get a 10ply tire (E rated). I am currently running the Michelin LTX 265/75/16E and even with the 2wd I have had no problems getting around here in Idaho.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/25/08 02:13 AM

try these

http://www.grimmspeed.com/images/tire_stud_5.jpg
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/26/08 01:28 AM

Quote:

General Grabber 2s.My kid put a set on his 04 2 wd ram last year and I put a set on my Durango this year.They ride good dry and give good traction in snow.They are good off road also.Rocky

I shopped a lot and ended up with General Grabber 2's also, best tire for the money. Just put them on this past summer, have not got the chance to snow test them yet on my Dak 4x4.
Posted By: codfish

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/26/08 04:26 AM

I have a 94 GMC Sierra, 2 wheel drive, ext cab. It had BF Goodrich something or another on it when I bought it. They had lots of grip left, but were terrible.

I went to the local Goodyear shop, and the owner himself, hooked me up with a set of Goodyear WINTER tires, NOT all season tires. They were only $99 each, and after 2 1/2 winters, these things still hook on ice like I cannot believe. And I don't take them off in the summer. But I don't have a ton of miles on them either.

codfish
Posted By: BIG SEXY

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/26/08 04:32 AM

Recaps baby Recaps. Their soft rubber and 40 bucks a pop.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/26/08 04:43 AM

4 Snow tires are cheaper than most insurance deductibles. They are the deciding factor in whether or not you crash or miss. The rubber is of a different composition which does not stiffen in cold temps so the tread makes full contact with the ground instead of riding over just the high spots. The aggressive tread clears the snow away so the tire can maintain contact with whatever the road surface is. There are good and better snow tires but they all work well. Wintermarks are great and inexpensive but a bit noisy due to aggressive tread design. Blizzacks etc are more refined, quiet & expensive. So called mud and snow tires are not the same as real snow tires. Snow tires make for a very safe ride in the snow. 4 Snow tires make a beast out of any vehicle in the snow.

How much is your safety and well being worth??
Posted By: ResQ911

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/28/08 10:03 PM

Michelin LTX M/S
LOVE THESE TIRES............137,000 highway mi.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Help me get the best snow tires - 12/29/08 01:20 PM

I put a set of 4 cooper weathermaster St2 snow tires on a second set of rims for my 5th ave. awesome tire, was going places 4x4's was getting stuck when we had 13" of snow here a few weeks ago. not sure if they come in sizes for a 3/4 ton truck.

they're about the only dedicated snow tire I've seen made in the US, most are made in japan (bridgestone blizzaks, dunlop snows), germany (continental, general, michelin snows), or indonesia (firestone winterforce)

if you can swing it, get a second set of rims and dedicated snows. otherwise, my boss has been impressed with the michelin LTX's (I think) that came on his 3/4 ton chev diesel.
© 2024 Moparts Forums