Moparts

B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive

Posted By: 69rrconvert

B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/23/08 04:42 PM

I have a hood that has what looks like spot welds on the underside between the top piece and the cross ribs. Some of these have broken loose and let the top skin move. I scrapped it with a knife and it looks like it is some kind of hardening sealant. What is this sealant or adhesive that is used on a B body hood between the top sheet metal and the reinforcement ribs on the underside of the hood? Also, where can it be purchased? Thanks

Attached picture 4896830-SpareHood001.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/23/08 10:17 PM

The inner and outer sections were only spot welded at the perimeter, not across the surface. Those "blobs" are an adhesive/sealant that was probably meant to stay pliable for the life expectancy of the car. Unfortunately after 40 years or so its hardened and now come loose.

Since this adhesive/sealant is applied PRIOR to the halves being put together, the tough part is going to be duplicating the original squish pattern.

As far as what to use, I don't know if there is an exact product on the market since technology has changed these materials significantly but if it were me I'd use a paintable body sealer. You'll have to work with clean, bare metal as was originally done or it will just pull off again.

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/23/08 10:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in saying the sealant has hardened over the years. When I scrapped it with a knife, it kind of looks like bondo
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/23/08 10:43 PM

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ...p;keyword=31087

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/23/08 11:06 PM

Thanks........should have known that Eastwood would have something for this
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/24/08 02:49 AM

u do know that requires a special chalking gun?
Posted By: Kingy

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/24/08 02:57 AM

Evercoat Maxim panel bonding adhesive. Not cheap but it fits in a standard size caulking gun and you can reseal the container.

Re: B Body Hood Sealant/Adhesive - 12/24/08 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replys.........I appreciate it
© 2024 Moparts Forums