Moparts

Good quality small block timing chain?

Posted By: mk_

Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 04:14 AM

Any input on a great quality timing chain set for a 340?
Will a true roller with steel gears last longer?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 04:46 AM

#1 Cloyes

#2 Yes

Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 06:08 AM

Last set of Cloyes I put on my 360 stretched out in about 20k miles. It was a stock replacement type though. I love the Edelbrock timing sets and run those now.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 06:36 AM

last cloyes I bought ...it was a billet set..the chain broke while idling ...and bent 5 valves...and a bunch more pushrods.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 07:38 AM

I had that happen with a "Summit" brand timing chain. The 67 Dart was idling to warm up, then just shut off like I pulled the coil wire or something. It bent 4 pushrods and even though I replaced them, I still hear a ticking sound at idle. maybe it has a bent valve or two, though the idle isn't any rougher than before.

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 09:17 AM

Quote:

I had that happen with a "Summit" brand timing chain. The 67 Dart was idling to warm up, then just shut off like I pulled the coil wire or something. It bent 4 pushrods and even though I replaced them, I still hear a ticking sound at idle. maybe it has a bent valve or two, though the idle isn't any rougher than before.

Last Summit brand I bought was made by ... Cloyes.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 12:13 PM

That's odd, last Cloyes I bought for my 340 was a double roller, had no problems with it.

-Daty
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 05:35 PM

I had a Summitt house brand (for a SB) ten years ago & it was a sloppy fit brand new
Posted By: 1ol74charger4me

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 06:10 PM

Summit lists a Cloyes street roller for $58 and the true roller for $150ish. Is there really $100 difference in the 2? Can't find anything in the description to base it on. Surprised to see the problems people have had with them. I always thought a Cloyes was a "put in and forget about" kinda part.

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/19/14 06:19 PM

Quote:

Summit lists a Cloyes street roller for $58 and the true roller for $150ish. Is there really $100 difference in the 2? Can't find anything in the description to base it on. Surprised to see the problems people have had with them. I always thought a Cloyes was a "put in and forget about" kinda part.

As I said, my Cloyes stuff was stock replacement types, not roller, double roller or whatever.

Never tried that stuff from Cloyes because it was my DD.
Posted By: mk_

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/20/14 04:43 AM

Thanks for the info........another brand i just read up on and may try is the Progear chain sets.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/20/14 05:31 AM

And should install a tensioner too.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/20/14 01:32 PM

I've had good luck with a Cloyes "true roller" on a BB. The more expensive one. I did have to buy a -.010" version to get it good and tight with my align bored block.

On a SB, I believe the tensioner requires a stock style chain. Hi po "true roller" types tear up the tensioner. It wouldn't hurt to price a stock replacement chain from your local dealer. I "think" length was the same through the years so a replacement magnum chain should work. That has proven to be a durable piece.

Hope others will confirm the fit.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/20/14 06:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info........another brand i just read up on and may try is the Progear chain sets.

This is the way to go. I have sold and used 100's of sets, and they dont stretch and wear like many of the others. Good true old school American quality stuff, from a company that has been making gears for many many years.

Cloyes is simply not the quality it used to be. I dont use anything Cloyes, unless a customer already has their own to supply for the build. Not impressed.

Most all " big box" and cam manufacter brands are just reboxed sets made by one of basically 3 or 4 companies.Also dont be fooled by " billet" timing sets either. It doesnt always meant hey are the best choice. You will often find the chains on some sets wear first, and on other cheap sets, the teeth simply wear down quickly. A set is also not necessarily good because it " looks nice" ( IE: some of the billet stuff).

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/21/14 10:44 AM

So, this would be the ProGear to go with: http://r.ebay.com/Map9CZ

Still Made in the USA as well...
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/21/14 05:49 PM

Cloyes double roller is all I've ever run in my HP strokers. No problems. But I'm sure everybody has some other opinions on this.
But, you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are a$$ holes everyone has one, and they usually stink!
Posted By: crlush

Re: Good quality small block timing chain? - 01/22/14 05:27 PM

Bought a summit timing set once and the chain had so much slack I sent it back and put the old one back on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums