Moparts

Elect. choke "?"

Posted By: bigblock340power

Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 02:59 PM

Carb. with an Elect. choke on it. Going on a car that never had Elect. choke. Where would I get a source for the Elect. choke? How should it be wired?
Thanks

OK, having looked at a few you tube vids. I see that the power source should come from a "key on" power source. Such as the "Ignition" area of the fuse box. This look Ok/make sense to you out there? I'm ready to start on this project.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 03:45 PM

The factory used the 12V feed to the ballast in applications that had electric assist chokes. It's a switched 12v and is usually a blue wire at the ballast. Just make sure it is the feed to the ballast side and not the output from the ballast to the coil.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 04:02 PM

Blue alternator field
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 04:58 PM

As said the blue switched 12V wire that goes to the reg/alt. On my eddy 1406 the electric choke comes off WAY too fast. I just added one of those OE white bakelite devices from a 70's (80's?) eng which think delays it coming off when cold which is what I need. No idea if it worked as the car is non op right now
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 05:27 PM

Quote:

I just added one of those OE white bakelite devices from a 70's (80's?) eng which think delays it coming off when cold which is what I need.

Uh-huh...
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just added one of those OE white bakelite devices from a 70's (80's?) eng which think delays it coming off when cold which is what I need.

Uh-huh...

Here's the Holley aftermarket version:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-45-267/overview/
Posted By: closer9

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/05/14 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Uh-huh...

Here's the Holley aftermarket version:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-45-267/overview/

hmmm... Looks like this might work with Edelbrock.

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 04:44 AM

Bought an Edelbrock 1400 today for the old Dodge pickup. Went on without to much trouble. I wired the Elect. choke to a 12 volt "key on" power source from the fuse block. Ground wire to it's self. Instructions said not to get the power from the Alt., or ballast. I'm happy with it. Just wanted you all to know.
I guess I can post pics tomorrow if any ones interested.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 06:50 PM

Hey Mike'y.
Thought you were dead set on installing that Holley on the truck.
What changed your mind, to the Edelbrock?
Posted By: hp383

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 07:13 PM

Quote:

As said the blue switched 12V wire that goes to the reg/alt. On my eddy 1406 the electric choke comes off WAY too fast. I just added one of those OE white bakelite devices from a 70's (80's?) eng which think delays it coming off when cold which is what I need. No idea if it worked as the car is non op right now

And just so you know, if you use that little white deal to supply the power voltage to an electric fuel pump, you can only drive till the engine warms up, then you get stranded on the side of the road, miles from home and are left scratching your head as to what you did wrong, because the ignition hot wire you found to run the pump now has no power.

Not that I would ever admit to doing this, but it could happen.
Posted By: cal_gecko

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 07:42 PM

a "choke" ... isn't that for people who live in cold weather? we don't need no stinking chokes here!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 08:13 PM

Quote:

a "choke" ... isn't that for people who live in cold weather? we don't need no stinking chokes here!

But you're being choked and don't realize it !!

Re: Elect. choke "?" - 01/06/14 08:40 PM

Ok! I have a few pics to share. Laugh all you want. But I'm liking it.
Jim, I just couldn't get the divorced choke to work right. I couldn't get it to run right. The throttle shafts were bleeding vacuum leaks. I went with a Eddy cause of the elect. choke. Works great. I've lived and learned.
Gecko, my Duster doesn't have a choke, nor a choke horn for that matter. But she's a beast that doesn't let the weather bother her. The truck, on the other hand is still subject to smog laws.
Back to the pics.

© 2024 Moparts Forums