Moparts

Couple of Trans Questions

Posted By: clonestocker

Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 03:04 AM

Was at the pick a part today and saw a couple of transmissions that could be interesting.
1) 1983 / 1/2 ton /6 cyl / 4 speed (kinda looks like a A-833), what trans is this and is it worth picking up?
2) 2000ish truck from mexico 3.9?, looks to have a over drive auto trans. Worth picking up?

thx
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 03:31 AM

Probally NP833 O.D. on both

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 04:01 AM

Cab, Your over here too! The second trans is a Auto. The 4 spd looks a little different than the car trans. But still has the shifter coming through the floor. Doesnt look like a truck trans.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 04:15 AM

I bought a NP833 O.D. trans out of a later model Ram van, it has a cast steel case and a aluminum tailshaft housing that looks like 1970 and later B and E body trans with both shifter mounts, it was complete with a floor shifter also. I've been told by others here on Moparts that those trannys where used in both the full size Ram vans and pickups As far as the Mexican produced automatics sold in Mexico, I have no idea on those
Posted By: partfiler69

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 04:16 AM

I had an 82 years ago with the 833. Nothing special. Not surewhat else it fit, but I do remember that it had the same yoke and driveshaft as the 727 I replaced it with.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 04:19 AM

Get the bell if you get the OD833.

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 05:04 AM

The bell housing is for a 6 cyl.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/01/14 02:09 PM

There is a decent market for that trans and bell with the Slant crowd. If you can get it cheap you can make a buck.

The trans itself is not much good for anything but a low HP daily driver. There were bearing issues with them.

The auto one I am not familiar with. Might be a variation of an A-500?
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/02/14 12:02 AM

A club member that owns a '70 Superbird uses one of those transmissions in his car when he goes on long cruises. He does it to save gas (OD top gear) and excess revs on the fresh Hemi motor. He also does it to save on tickets as he knows that transmission makes him drive like a grandma

For now the OEM Hemi 4-speed sits on the shelf and he puts from show to show.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/02/14 01:52 AM

I ran a OD 833 behind my warmed up 340-6 for 12 years with no problems in my shorty.

The Superturd that Pete is refering to happens to be powered with a HEMI..
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Couple of Trans Questions - 01/02/14 03:13 AM

Quote:

I bought a NP833 O.D. trans out of a later model Ram van, it has a cast steel case and a aluminum tailshaft housing that looks like 1970 and later B and E body trans with both shifter mounts,

Cab , other way around , alum. case , iron tailhousing ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums