Moparts

Few questions about '69 GTX's...

Posted By: Harlow383

Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/21/08 11:28 PM

I found a '69 GTX today. I've been doing a little research. I was hoping that the color of the bulge hood insert could tell you if the car had an air grabber or not. From what I understand the color depends if the car had the performance hood treatment or not. Is that correct? Does anyone know if steel wheels were just an option or did steel wheels come with only certain options/one of the two engine options? The center caps (is that the correct term?) on this car aren't the typical dog dishes they look kind of like an upside down bucket and have the Plymouth emblem in the center. Thats about as good as I can describe them. Unfortunately the pictures I have won't show much detail.
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/21/08 11:38 PM

Yes, If it were to have a Air grabber hood it would have orangish wire mesh in the hood vents, it not black block offs with fins. I dont think what hood treament color would matter.? I believe it could have dog dishes but not sure on the insignia.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 12:06 AM

The Hemi cars had the Air Grabber and 15" steel wheels/caps as standard, wheel covers were optional. These are the caps.

The 440 cars had the Air Grabber optional, N96 on the fender tag , 14" steel wheels/caps standard. Optional wheels were 14" Rallye and 15" steel. Both 14" and 15" wheels had optional wheel covers available.
Most Air Grabber screens were red, a few may have been black, hood stripes, V21 on fender tag, had little or nothing to do with screen color.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 12:09 AM

The caps you describe sound like '68 caps.

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 12:17 AM

B5 Bee - Thanks for all the info. I did a search for '68 GTX steel wheels after you mentioned they sounded like '68 caps. I think your right. The caps on this car definitely had the plymouth emblem right in the center. Someone must have changed wheels at some point because the car is definitely a '69. Or maybe the front clip was swapped at some point? All I can see is the front clip and the roof line. Is it possible for a early production '69 to get '68 caps?
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:07 AM

Scott, this X is not the Burgundy color one is it?

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Scott, this X is not the Burgundy color one is it?

Hey Nick. From what I can see I think its black. Might be a weathered burgundy though?

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:16 AM

eastside or south side?

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:20 AM

Quote:

eastside or south side?

Is definitely on the south side of town but I'd consider it to be more south/east than south/central.

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:23 AM

hold on and I will post a picture

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:30 AM

I was told there were 2 X's in that area and I thought I found them both.
I found a 68 near Valencia and when I passed on it my buddy bought it, that is one that was in that area.
Then there was a 69, but it was Burgundy and I passed on that one also, it needed to much for a NOM X. Here is the picture of the Burgundy behind a fence, I took a picture from inside the yard, next to the car and you can see the street through the fence...... Is it the same fence?

Attached picture 4893880-Copyofpictures086.jpg

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:35 AM

hmmm no thats not the same car. I'm hesitant to post a picture of it. I'll send it to you in PM.
Posted By: topside

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:35 AM

'68 & '69 standard wheels & caps are interchangeable as far as the size of the hubcap goes. '67-'68 cap protrudes out from a recess just inside the outer perimeter of the cap, with the center area painted a satin black and the Plymouth emblem stamped into the center. In other words, the car could have its original steelies but with the wrong caps.

Re: Few questions about '69 GTX's... - 12/22/08 01:36 AM

Quote:

hmmm no thats not the same car. I'm hesitant to post a picture of it. I'll send it to you in PM.

go ahead
© 2024 Moparts Forums