Moparts

Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak?

Posted By: MaxHeadroom

Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 04:06 AM

Never had much luck with these, well, maybe once. Only have used Bars Leak, I think. I have a truck, engine is tucked back, one of the metal heater hose assemblies has sprung a leak. Only way to get to it is to pull off everthing on top of engine and passenger side. My other cars are not movable in the garage, so would have to do this in the street, Lol, too cold for that. I have seen some expensive brands, Moroso Ceramic, Blue Devil ($60) and a few others. Need something to maybe hold me by until I have a place to do this. Mechanics want several hundred because everything has to be moved. What have you tried that you can recommend? Thanks.

BTW... tried a $10 bottle of Bars Heater Core, did nothing.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 04:20 AM

I know it's winter but is there anyway to bypass it (or at least for awhile). Good luck
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 06:06 AM

My customers have great luck with Justice Brothers Radiator Stop Leak RSL/2. Holds up to 25 lbs of pressure. Does not contain metallics that can cause clogging with their weight.

http://www.justicebrothers.com/products_carcare_radiator_additives.htm

Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 01:59 PM

If its a metal pipe..its rusted away..nothing is gonna work..bypass it..its all u can do
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 03:25 PM

Texas? Cold? I'm changing the fuel filters on my Massey this morning. 25 above and cloudy. But anyway, if one of your metal core pipes has sprung a leak, you have a definite possibility of a gross failure. I agree with the others, if you can't fix it, bypass it. Now speaking as someone who has done this, get used to driving with your window down and have an ice scraper handy because the inside of the windshield frosts over from your breath. No fun.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Texas? Cold?

I was chuckling about that myself . right now it's 63 deg F at the southern tip which I assume is the Brownsville area
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 11/30/13 03:47 PM

Conklin's Dike is the best, and will not clog anything.

You said you already added one kind of stop leak. No matter what you try now, you need to flush the system first. Mixing two kinds of stop leak in a system is asking for trouble.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 12/01/13 12:14 PM

Fix it, bypass it, or don't use it. You can't plug a leak in a hose with goo.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 12/02/13 06:31 AM

Quote:

Conklin's Dike is the best, and will not clog anything

yep, dyke (proper spelling) works great. we use it on the big truck stuff with 100% leak stoppage.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Anyone can Recommend a Good Cooling System Stop Leak? - 12/02/13 11:23 PM

Learned a long time ago, stop leak only causes the next weak point to leak. Can you maybe bypass it with a long heater hose so that you still get heat then replace it later?
© 2024 Moparts Forums