Moparts

More MP ignition talk

Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 12:19 AM

Well if my information is correct, Mopar Performance is discontinuing their ignition boxes. We are left with installation of a complete new ignition system or one of only a couple of aftermarket replacement plug in ICU boxes.
I have been testing every type of parts store replacement boxes I can get my hands on,and none of them are good for performance. I have tested a couple of boxes that are supposed to be performance replacement ICU's that I wouldn't run in a stock vehicle.
We are left with the Rev N Nator and the new FBO , or old stock.
Just letting you know while you can still get something
Keith

Attached picture 7937526-IMG_20131013_150657.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

We are left with the Rev N Nator and the new FBO , or old stock.

Kieth how did they do?
Posted By: ademon

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 12:58 AM

There are a few guys installing the 4 pin GM HEI ecu in a stock mopar ECU box, $20 bucks for a part store one and I think MSD and accel make some.

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 01:10 AM

Quote:

There are a few guys installing the 4 pin GM HEI ecu

That's my choice, a speedway motors aftermarket "dynamod" HEI module mounted on a piece of aluminum with Radio Shack heat sink paste hidden (as all chebby parts should be) under the dist. Someone even makes that plate but it's pricey

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 01:24 AM

You have to remember the original HEI was designed back when Mopar ignition systems were designed. They weren't much better . An Accel module is an okay choice but current through it is still limited due to its size.
I have never been a fan of GM HEI because it dropped current at high rpm. Okay for a strock engine but thats about it.
I like and use the Rev N Nator the newest FBO box is a decent performance piece I just dont personally like the looks of it or how the Rev limiter his set.
Keith
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 01:42 AM

What a surprise

Thanks for letting us know Keith

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 02:42 AM

Kieth what would you suggest for my app: Circle track & heat races may be 15 minutes & feature races may be 30 minutes, mostly WOT reaching 6200 at the end of the straights. Some idling (5-10 minutes) in the pits & when setting up. Using a regular 70's electronic dist. Coil would need to be round stock appearing, any ECU & if it looks too outlandish I could hide it or camouflage it.
Posted By: aspenrt360

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 02:44 AM

To bad the are dropping the ecu's. they had one hell of a long run! I am running a chrome box on the street right now it runs good I will pick up a spare chrome and try out either a rev or another fbo I have had the old style fbo before it was ok. don't know about the new stuff though.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 04:05 AM

MSD4me
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 12:14 PM

The Revonator works great in my hemi car, that being said the MSD in my drag car also works excellent.
If you are doing a track car id go with the MSD.
Easy to install and you can hide it in the car or under the battery box.
Wiring it up is almost as simple as plugging in the stock ECU and you don't need the lousy ballast resister.
Posted By: ademon

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 04:24 PM

MSD for a performance build, pertronix to replace points .
Posted By: dogdays

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 04:37 PM

And a suitable re-curve for all!

R.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/27/13 06:55 PM

what are the EXACT coil requirements for a revanator?

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 12:16 AM

There are no EXACT requirements for the coil on the Rev N Nator. But as a disclaimer I'm not the one of the people that designed it. The intent was to make a nice performance replacement that would work with all coils. To the best of my knowledge,the coil that FBO sold with his original system is the only one that doesn't work well with it.
I personally have tested many different coils and even a stock electronic ignition coil worked okay with it. Very high rpm is where coil selection gets a little pickier
I tested a different brand ICU recently that told you you had to use a certain resistance coil and a certain resistance ballast resistor. But you cant find that out until you order the ICU and read the enclosure
Keith
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 02:38 AM

specifically what are the deficiencies your finding in the ICU's?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 02:53 AM

And which ones have you tested?
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 03:47 AM

Have you tested it against a magneto?

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 04:51 AM

Lets see,,,.....
Wells, Standard, no name parts store stamped " made in China", Old FBO,New FBO, Mopar Orange Chrome, and Gold, HiRev7500, 10 or 12 revisions of Rev N Nator, and a knockoff Orange Box from either ProForm or Jegs
Then test many of them with Accel Super Coil, Accel Super Stock coil, MSD Blaster 2 and 3, MSD HVC coils, Firecore coil,stock coil, generic replacement coil, Mallory Promaster coil, with and without .085 and 1.6 ohm ballast resistors.
Tested against an MSD6, Accel300 digital and Firecore ready to run distributor. Some on high compression and low compression engines.
I have several hundred dyno pulls on file. So its pretty hard to give a general answer on the downfalls
In most cases the ignition either pulled dwell or just did not perform well at peak torque where cylinder pressure is highest.
Keith
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 06:20 AM

I bought a Rev-N-Nator box last year and ran it a short time. I've had detonation problems that prevented me from being able to take advantage of the dang thing. I'm working on lowering my compression ratio. I'm going to try the Rev box once my car is back together.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 02:32 PM

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Jeg's boxes. They have an "orange" one and a "chrome" one. The "chrome" one says Made in USA.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-P...759#moreDetails

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 03:34 PM

The box they claim is comparable to a chrome MP is a Hirev7500. You wont like it.
Keith

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. Any info on the orange one as a stock replacement? I'm mainly wondering about reliability, not performance.

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

Any info on the orange one as a stock replacement? I'm mainly wondering about reliability,

There has been a fair number of reported failures on here with the newer MP orange box. Myself I would not purchase one (that & it is too expensive) & if I was running one I would definitely carry a spare
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Jeg's boxes. They have an "orange" one and a "chrome" one. The "chrome" one says Made in USA.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-P...759#moreDetails

Tried one, That is why I bought the rev for the coronet.
The jegs orange box is junk! Ill sell you the one I have for half price if you want to put junk on your car!
They should be chastised for selling them!!!
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/28/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Lets see,,,.....
Wells, Standard, no name parts store stamped " made in China", Old FBO,New FBO, Mopar Orange Chrome, and Gold, HiRev7500, 10 or 12 revisions of Rev N Nator, and a knockoff Orange Box from either ProForm or Jegs
Then test many of them with Accel Super Coil, Accel Super Stock coil, MSD Blaster 2 and 3, MSD HVC coils, Firecore coil,stock coil, generic replacement coil, Mallory Promaster coil, with and without .085 and 1.6 ohm ballast resistors.
Tested against an MSD6, Accel300 digital and Firecore ready to run distributor. Some on high compression and low compression engines.
I have several hundred dyno pulls on file. So its pretty hard to give a general answer on the downfalls
In most cases the ignition either pulled dwell or just did not perform well at peak torque where cylinder pressure is highest.
Keith

this post just amazes me! everyone here needs to read apppreciate what you have said here. the amount of work and your COMPLETE willingness to share what you have learned simply amazes me! thank you Keith for letting us dog you like this!

Re: More MP ignition talk - 11/29/13 05:42 AM

Quote:

everyone here needs to read apppreciate what you have said here. the amount of work and your COMPLETE willingness to share what you have learned simply amazes me! thank you Keith for letting us dog you like this!

+1, much appreciated!

Re: More MP ignition talk - 12/01/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

everyone here needs to read apppreciate what you have said here. the amount of work and your COMPLETE willingness to share what you have learned simply amazes me! thank you Keith for letting us dog you like this!

+1, much appreciated!

You guys are welcome !!
Keith
© 2024 Moparts Forums