Moparts

Blower resistor question...

Posted By: 6pkaar

Blower resistor question... - 11/15/13 07:24 PM

A couple of the fan speeds didn't work on my wife's Sebring convertible, and I figured I'd get a new resistor and all would be fine.....I never got around to getting that fix done, but now the blower doesn't work at all. Could a bad resistor completely shut down the blower?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/15/13 07:32 PM

They can shut down totally sometimes.Ive had a few at the shop that the motor went also.Usually its the resistor though.Rocky
Posted By: john55

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/15/13 08:45 PM

hey Dave, what year is it? here's a blower motor that made a little noise a few weeks ago

Attached picture 7925272-IMG_20131023_152114_726.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 12:52 AM

If you're on a certain speed (other than hi) which would go thru a resistor if that resistor went open then yes it would not run. I'd jump fire to the blower hot wire and another wire to ground the case just to confirm or deny that the motor itself is OK then start checking continuities for the open

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 01:15 PM

Most all new cars have power all the time.The resistor controls the ground on almost all of them.Simple to check with a test light.Just unplug and hook to power and ground.Ill bet the light wont work.Ive replaced a ton of the new resistors.In the last 10 years only 1 Mopar motor.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Most all new cars have power all the time.The resistor controls the ground on almost all of them.

ahhh so the new stuff is backwards (I'm sure there was a good (engineering) reason for it).

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 07:55 PM

It supposed to be easier on the electronic components.The GMs had a real big problem with the resistors.I cant count how many I replaced.IIRC Ford had a problem with the wires suffering also.Rocky
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most all new cars have power all the time.The resistor controls the ground on almost all of them.

ahhh so the new stuff is backwards (I'm sure there was a good (engineering) reason for it).

Less noise in the electrical system when you switch the ground.

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/16/13 10:06 PM

Not really.Its easier on the computer system.A lot of new stuff is run off the BCM.If you have the resistor why not just put it in?Rocky
Posted By: 383man

Re: Blower resistor question... - 11/17/13 12:59 AM

Many of them have a thermal unit in them that if it gets to hot it burns out and causes an open circuit and then nothing works. You may have had an open resister winding taking out one or two speeds and then the thermal unit may have finally went out and stopped all blower motor opperation. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums