Moparts

E-body front suspension question

Posted By: 340swing

E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 02:00 AM

I'm installing all new front end parts on my 70 cuda. I purchased all the parts from springs and things. All the parts are mcquaid/norris parts. The left inner tie rod hits the torsion bar. Has any body seen this? I'm not sure on the center link does the curved end go towards the back of the car or front. I have it towards the back not sure if it will make a difference in clearance.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 02:12 AM

to the back. iirc someone way back had this problem & the idler and or the pitman arm(s) did not have the same bend/depth as what come off of there
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 02:21 AM

Quote:

I'm installing all new front end parts on my 70 cuda. I purchased all the parts from springs and things. All the parts are mcquaid/norris parts. The left inner tie rod hits the torsion bar. Has any body seen this? I'm not sure on the center link does the curved end go towards the back of the car or front. I have it towards the back not sure if it will make a difference in clearance.

center link orientation 70 Challenger/ref., did you change the pitman/steering arm?

Attached picture 7918212-draglimk.JPG

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 04:03 AM

Ok I have the center link in right but the idler and the pitman arms are new. Both from springs and things I guess I will call them. I have the originals I will match them up and see if i can find the problem. Thanks

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 05:16 AM

Quote:

Ok I have the center link in right but the idler and the pitman arms are new. Both from springs and things I guess I will call them. I have the originals I will match them up and see if i can find the problem. Thanks

I'd match the pcs up as you stated, I've only used the McQuay/Norris front end kits once, and was disappointed in the quality that they bragged(advertised) about in their components...inspect all the components carefully

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 03:36 PM

Ok the pitman arm is the problem. It's a little longer. The idler arm looks good. I will call espo springs and things Monday to see if they sent the wrong one or if they have an alternative. Thanks for the responses.

Attached picture 7918673-pitmanarm.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 03:56 PM

Also not sure if you can tell in the photo but the splined area is off set on the original and centered on the new one. I also noticed there are two for sale in the e body parts section bill rollic (spelling?) has a nos with the off set. rick erinburgh (spelling?) has a new moog without.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 04:15 PM

I would want one with the same length/bend/offset as the original (& of good quality). It was not hitting with the OE one so I'd want to exactly duplicate that to return to that condition. EDIT some Moog stuff may be made in China now
Posted By: jt4406

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

the splined area is off set on the original and centered on the new one

You guys correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this would not be as important a feature as the actual measured distance from the center of the hole to the center of the pivot on the other end that drops into the center link, comparing parts to each other.
just my
I believe you should turn them sideways and compare amount of drop from box splined end to pivot end also.
jess

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the splined area is off set on the original and centered on the new one

You guys correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this would not be as important a feature as the actual measured distance from the center of the hole to the center of the pivot on the other end that drops into the center link, comparing parts to each other.
just my
I believe you should turn them sideways and compare amount of drop from box splined end to pivot end also.
jess

Correct,...importance is how much difference is there in the side profiles, length, drop, and angle of the rod end in relation to the open spline end plane geometry of the two, as this will effect the height of the installed centerlink
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 05:08 PM

Hate to tell you but I used to sell Mcquaid/Norris back in the 70's and it was junk back then and probably still is now from what I've heard. Don't except much life out of the ball joints and rod ends. We had to drop them cause of all the returns and failures. I had terrible luck with them several times myself.
This was back when their stuff was made in the USA. Just sayin.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/10/13 07:28 PM

Not what I wanted to here but Moog is made in china for the most part. PST stuff is made who knows where. Mcquid/norris says made in USA any others out there that are know to be good? I have so I'm going with it. I have the PST stuff in my Dart so far no problems. I'm hoping this is just a wrong part not a thats all we have and nobody else has complained thing. I will update as things unfold. Has anybody used the moog pitman arm that Rick Erinburgh is selling.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 01:53 PM

Does anybody rebuild pitman arms? Mine is original with the part number on it. But the ball stud end is shot.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

Does anybody rebuild pitman arms? Mine is original with the part number on it. But the ball stud end is shot.

http://www.rareparts.com/

This company does.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 03:52 PM

Thanks, I will call them.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:19 PM

Ok now I'm not sure on the pitman arm. I installed the old one and it hits also. Long story but I bought the car apart (completely) so I cant be 100% sure the parts I'm installing are 100% correct for the car. Laura at ESPO springs and things has been great to work with they are trying to help me. But here are some pictures maybe somebody here can spot something.

Attached picture 7920373-LastImport-4.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:24 PM

2nd inner tie rod hitting torsion bar

Attached picture 7920377-LastImport-4.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:27 PM

3rd

Attached picture 7920379-LastImport-2.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:28 PM

4th

Attached picture 7920380-LastImport-5.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:33 PM

5th

Attached picture 7920386-LastImport-7.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:35 PM

6th

Attached picture 7920389-LastImport-8.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 08:52 PM

There was something way back about some years of B/E kmembers or boxes that had a different tilt than OE. I dont remember the particulars but that sure seems like a severe rake on the adj sleeve angle tho I know pics can be misleading. Stay on it & holler how it goes. EDIT k.i.s.s. It would appear (just from the pic) that the pitman does not drop down far enough

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 09:58 PM

This may get a little lengthy, Here is my thought process. The steering box is bolted to the K frame no adjustment, the lower control arm goes through the K frame no adjustment up or down. The torsion bar goes into the lower control arm. In other words it's all fixed. So looking at it its either the steering box is wrong or the pitman angle or drop is wrong. Or the center link could be wrong. First question is any way to tell if the center link is correct for the car? 2nd are there different manual steering boxes ie longer shaft.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 10:23 PM

Keep in mind anything could be wrong. This is how I got the car. Although it's numbers matching and pretty complete anything could have been replaced/misplaced substituted ect.

Attached picture 7920504-DSCN0096.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 10:29 PM

Brian,

The pic of the idler arm side, looks good...the drivers side not so good!...I'm gonna say pitman arm, regardless of the fact you put the old arm back on, it may be off another vehicle/body line, and a lot of the aftermarket kits have issues with either the wrong idler or pitman, or both....so I measured the drop of the pitman arm in my 71 Cuda, it's 3 1/2" from the top flat of the spline end to the bottom flat of the arm (rod end) casting, I used a straight edge on the flats to measure so there would be no "eyeballin"....see what drop dem. you have?

Mike

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/11/13 10:54 PM

new one is 3 1/4 the original or old one is 3 1/8 using your method ill post a pic in a few miniutes

Attached picture 7920545-pitmanarm2.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 01:57 AM

Any Ideas on the steering box and center link? Any way to tell if they are correct. Are there more than one manual steering box that looks like mine.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 12:44 PM

Was told long ago there was three strearing box,s
c body a.b.e body and truck
I know b/e body box are the same so...
Posted By: brads70

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 01:56 PM

You could do this, but something is wrong? Either the mount on the k-frame is bent/wrong. Or the steering box or idler and pitman arm?

Posted By: dan9

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 03:33 PM

I bought both pitman and idler from Rich Erenberg. The grease fitting hits the torsion bar. The one I took off seemed original and you could see where it had been rubbing the torsion bar also. I will grease then replace grease fitting with a plug. As i recall some cars from long ago came with plugs instead of grease fitting. We always had a box of various fitting to do an initial grease job.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 04:24 PM

Brian,
Is there a part number on the center link?

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/12/13 11:57 PM

No part number on center link. But there is a number on the steering box. I have to take it out to read it.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 12:08 AM

Brad the drawing you showed is interesting. I can tell the left side is higher. The K frame appears to be straight no signs of damage. The right side clears nicely. It appears to be related to the steering box or pitman arm. Jeff has an extra center link that I will try. If that doesn't work i need to after the steering box of pitman arm. I will get the number off the box and some measurements.

i

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 01:08 AM

Here is the number on the steering box 2537349-2 there is a KCP with an oval around it also. From the bottom of the case to the end of the shaft is 2 5/16 inches. From the bottom bolt hole (center) to the end of the shaft is 3 5/16. If anybody can cross that number over to what it belongs to or has a box out that they know is from a 70 cuda manual steering and could measure the same. Thanks

Attached picture 7922026-IMG_0714.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 01:09 AM

2nd

Attached picture 7922028-IMG_0713.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 04:38 AM

Brian,

I don't know what steering box your part number is.....however, manual boxes, 2537349-1 is 70 A body, and 2537350-6 is 70/1 E body, when it comes to manual boxes I don't follow the interchange (if any?) between the ABEF bodies

Mike
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 05:07 AM

Hi Brian, I have several manual boxes if you need to look at them or take some measurements. John.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 08:44 AM

Quote:

You could do this, but something is wrong? Either the mount on the k-frame is bent/wrong. Or the steering box or idler and pitman arm?

Have you tried the shims as shown in the lower drawing? This is how the factory adjusted clearance torsion bar to tie rod end. Driver side is easier than the passenger side. Just a thought.

Digger73

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 12:40 PM

Dayclona if those numbers are right then the box is wrong. A body by your numbers. So John (biginchmotor) if you have so extra manual boxes for an E-body I will be calling you. See if any have the number Dayclona put in his reply. Also I have not tried shimming it it's way off like a half inch. Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/13/13 03:47 PM

Hey John, I'm meeting Brian for lunch on Friday to give him the center link. If you are free join us. We'll get him straightened out

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 01:48 AM

Jeff thanks for the center link. I matched it up with mine and its the same. Yours has a part #2835877. So John I will be calling you, I need an E-body manual steering box. I will update as i figure this out. Thanks for all the help Moparts!

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 02:53 PM

Looks like a real nice car there. Don't think the M/N parts will be a problem. Doesn't look like a car that's going to see a lot of miles.
BE and A w/ V-8 share that same manual boxes that has bearings. /6 A-body had a box with bushings.
70 parts book shows #2808420 assy. for B,E and A w/V-8. 2808419 for /6 A-body.
I can't find anything about shimming the box in the FSM and using all my fingers and toes can't begin to count how many boxes I've pulled and have never seen any shims. I think the problem is with the pitman arm.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 03:36 PM

I've used the same 16:1 manual box on A and E circle track cars so the interchange is the same. What I was referring to in an earlier post is I think an earlier K member either locates the eng different fore/aft and or tilts the steering box different. I doubt if that is the case in your deal but since yours was a basket case I wanted to throw that possibility out there but k.i.s.s. as said I think it's a pitman/idler issue. I've never seen shims there either & if you added em it'd mess up the column/coupler alignment I'd think.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 03:40 PM

Robert the difference in the box angle on the K-frame was the 70B only frame that is a cross between the 68-9B frame and the 70-4E/71-2B that have different angles. I guess if he has a 68-9B or 70B frame and an E arm could be a problem.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 03:45 PM

Looking at his pics again I see that he has the correct sway bar.
OP you might check and make sure you don't have a 70B K-frame. That would have the different box angle.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 03:45 PM

Thank you Mark as we have a circle track E body with a bent K (hit the wall) & I'll now know what is what when I get around to getting on it

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 07:28 PM

Is there any way to tell if the K member is correct? the coin on the front is stamped with the number 72. It's the only number i can find. Everything else bolts up nice. If the steering box or pitman arm were a 1/2 inch lower it would work. But I would like to know it's correct I don't wan't to rig this.I will try some othe box's this weekend and see what happens.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 07:34 PM

GG's book doesn't show a 72. Could it be a 12 which is early E body?
70B is a 90 wo/ skid and 79 w/ skid.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 07:46 PM

I'm confused there are different part numbers or casting numbers (see dacloana's post) but moparmarks post says all BE and A V8 share the same box. I searched for 2537346 and 2537350-6 comes up ebody my number came up for an A-body. Biginchmotor has several other boxes with different numbers that I will try to match up. But I'm not sure what should be on the car.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 07:48 PM

I will look at the coin when I get home I guess it could be a 12 I thought it was 72 but I will look again.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 08:19 PM

Coin on my 70 challenger is "72". 5/70 LA built deputy 318/3spd, 3rd owner, car had virtually all it's correct fasteners, etc, found on an unmolested car. Why would anyone mess with a 318/2bbl car anyway? Shims in pic (posted on another thread) were in it when I took it apart.
jess

Attached picture 7926272-IMG_3886A.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/16/13 08:49 PM

Nice picture, Funny thing this car is also a 3spd but a 340 convertible.I wonder if that means anything. I'm about a 1/2 inch off so shims are not going to help.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 01:03 AM

The coin is a 72, and it was pointed out to me that the number is also on the broadcast sheet line 4 under frame and sure enough it is. You learn something new every day. So i'm back to the steering box. Does anybody have a known E-body manual steering box with casting number 2537350-6. If it's in the car you cant see the number it's between the housing and the K-frame. I need the measurement from the end of the case to the end of the shaft mine is 2 5/16th.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 01:53 AM

Good info Jess.
Those are the numbers in my 70/1 FPM.
I have a few boxes down at the yard. I'll check the numbers.
I've always though it was common Mopar knowledge that A,B and E have the same bearing boxes and /6 A-body had the bushing box which is what my books show? I've interchanged them several times over the years.
Flaming River, Firm Feel, etc. show the same for A,B and E.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 02:01 AM

I think the box is the same but they may use a different length shaft. for A B and E. I'm guessing here but either way the one I have has the wrong casting number. Let me know if you have one. Thanks

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 02:12 AM

The shaft length is the same

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 02:32 AM

Quote:

I'm about a 1/2 inch off so shims are not going to help

Brian, just out of curiosity, why not loosen the bottom bolt on the box, and back the two top bolts off, tilting the box down, until the inner tie rods are the same distance from the torsion bars, and see how much gap you have between the steering box and the frame. Won't cost anything to do, and maybe a small gap there will move the outer end of the pitman arm down more than you think it would, due to it's arc of travel....?? Just grasping at straws here.
jess

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 02:45 AM

I will give it a try. But i'm stuck on the casting number, it is not the one others have posted for a Ebody. Making me think the box is wrong for the car. I will put it back on and take some pictures for the thread.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 04:13 PM

jt4406 it took 1/4 inch bolts as mock up shims to make it clear the torsion bar. That isn't as bad as I thought but does this seem like an option to anybody? I could get some shims or make them but i have never seen a box shimmed. I know some have posted that they have seen this but the pics are hard to tell how big of a shim. I personaly don't like it but everything I have for the car so far checks out. Could this be the right box and it was shimmed?

Attached picture 7927052-IMG_0716.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 04:17 PM

Attached picture 7927057-IMG_0717.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 04:19 PM

Attached picture 7927061-IMG_0718.jpg

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 04:23 PM

Any possibility it's the oddball (wrong) Kmember?

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 04:28 PM

How about date codes. On the cover where the adjusting bolt is, there is a code. F03 11G or C hard to tell. The casting number on the case is 2537349-2

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 05:42 PM

Is the mounting bracket that the top of the box bolts to square and undamaged looking? maybe someone ran over something in the road in the past and clipped the drag link/pitman are area and pushed it up there slightly. Should be easy to see with the box removed. Sorry I can't help you with the casting numbers on the box, mine has power steering.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 05:46 PM

1/4" seems like a lot of shim. Would be concerned about the angle on the column. The shim that Jess has looks to be about a 1/16".
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 05:53 PM

Couple of things.Nothing to add about the steering box itself,I had always assumed the car boxes were all dimensionally the same, and had heard that thru 'tribal wisdom' also.I personally have a 'police/taxi'F body one in my '73 chall with zero issues.I will say that raybestos makes NAPA chassis now, and TWO pitman arms had the spline broached too big and it sat too far down on the spline to tighten up.
(Maybe yours seated farther down with the new part?)
I believe I ended up with MOOG stuff last summer.It worked.
K member could have taken a 'whang' somewhere in it's life (that's why some gusset the box mount and someone is making that cool lower bearing support),
wouldn't take much of a hit to tweak the idler arm mount, it is only thick sheet metal.
On my Clonerunner, previous owner adjusted steering box center screw all the way out, allowing the pitman shaft to move "up" into the box, and begin to consume the header tube, which is kind of where your issue is, too.Part of the clue was the drag link rubbing on the oil pan.
Chassis shims are readily available at NAPA, they use various thicknesses for like the early GM 'dogbone' control arms.
Hope this helps.
Bear

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 06:01 PM

Found this on "For A bodies only"
(The early box number is cast behind the LH mounting ear and will be a 2267162 or 2267225 for a bushing type or bearing type respectively. The '67-up box has number 2537349 cast into it on the round section the pitman shaft passes through)
No mention of only fitting A bodies. Everywhere else I looked says the boxes are the same for A/B and E bodies.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 06:10 PM

Kframe is correct for the car. It looks good no sign of accidents. The only thing Im not sure of is the box due to the numbers. All the things I can find point to it being an a body box.But then some say a,b and e body v8 cars all use the same box. but my part/cast number is not what people are finding in their e bodys.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

(The early box number is cast behind the LH mounting ear and will be a 2267162 or 2267225 for a bushing type or bearing type respectively. The '67-up box has number 2537349 cast into it on the round section the pitman shaft passes through)
No mention of only fitting A bodies. Everywhere else I looked says the boxes are the same for A/B and E bodies.

Something knocking around in my head about the A bods only having brass or bronze bushings somewhere inside, and the B s and E s getting bearings.(Maybe Ehrenbergs column at some point)
BTW where IS Ehrenberg on all of this?

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

If the OP was installing some 73-up (tall) B spindles on his ride, Rick would be all over this post ....

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Something knocking around in my head about the A bods only having brass or bronze bushings somewhere inside, and the B s and E s getting bearings.(Maybe Ehrenbergs column at some point)

As I stated before, 70/1 FPM shows A-body with /6 got the bushed unit. All others got the bearing unit.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As I stated before, 70/1 FPM shows A-body with /6 got the bushed unit. All others got the bearing unit.

Sorry, Marks, missed that... Yes ,you did say that already.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If the OP was installing some 73-up (tall) B spindles on his ride, Rick would be all over this post ....

And THAT, my friend, is no baloney...

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, Marks, missed that... Yes ,you did say that already.

No worries.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/17/13 08:08 PM

Just checked my 71RR and it has a 2267225 box on it with no problems.

Re: E-body front suspension question - 11/19/13 02:31 AM

**Update** I met up with Jeff968 and Biginchmotor (John) Yesterday.We compared steering boxes,pitman arms and looked at some installed ones. John had other manual steering boxes one appeared to have a slightly longer sector shaft. We also noticed the adjuster on my box was not in as far as the others. I adjusted mine and reinstalled still hit but much closer. I installed the other box that John gave me and it clears with about an 1/8 inch. Does anybody know how much clearance there should be between the left inner tie rod and the torsion bar?
© 2024 Moparts Forums