Moparts

Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive?

Posted By: migsBIG

Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:13 AM

The 440 motor in my 70' barracuda seems to be smoking a bit and was looking to do a temporary fix before I pull it this winter. Could be rings or valve seals, leak down test didn't revel which one. Just want to dive it a couple more times before the teardown. Any suggestions?
Posted By: ek3

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:28 AM

lucas oil stabilizer.. if it is the ring set , we always used Engine Restorer with the copper flakes to fill in scratches from the sand that always found its way in the engines. it was a temp. fix when they were due a rebuild only.. if the seals are gone, pretty much nothing will help it.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:30 AM

ahh screw it. Let it smoke. It's an old car. Nothing you dump in the crank case is going to stop the smoke.

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

lucas oil stabilizer.. if it is the ring set , we always used Engine Restorer with the copper flakes to fill in scratches from the sand that always found its way in the engines. it was a temp. fix when they were due a rebuild only.. if the seals are gone, pretty much nothing will help it.

Ok, it never runs hot unless parked for like 20 minutes running. Never used Lucas one, and the local shops all carry a Engine Restorer, so that might work, thanks.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

ahh screw it. Let it smoke. It's an old car. Nothing you dump in the crank case is going to stop the smoke.

hey,MR. yuck , GREAT point ... if it will smoke the tires like the one in your picture, who will know anyhow? !!
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 03:05 AM

Toss a 40 of Schlitz in the crankcase.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 03:09 AM

if still available....marvel mystery oil
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 04:52 AM

Clean the mouse ball.

Oh, wrong forum.

Save the 20 bucks and let it blow.
Make smoking cool again.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 12:59 PM

Restore does help.I had an old 318 in one plow truck.It had 300K.Smoked and I used Restore.It did cut it down quite a lot and even seemed to run better.Wont fix a major problem.Lucas might help but restore will probally do better.Rocky

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 01:44 PM

Ok, gonna try the Restore treatment and see how it works. Since I have video on the phone and camera, ill see how much smoking it will go down. Thanks for the info, will update Sunday and see if there was any difference.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/26/13 02:00 PM

on oil burnners i usually use an overfill of about 1 quart for an oil treatment,that way you dont have to keep checking the level as often.
Posted By: dstryr

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/27/13 01:49 AM

Check your city ordinances first.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/27/13 03:13 AM

Gonna give my endorsment to the RESTORE. Used a can in my old $280 68 Newport(back in my drinkin days). After adding it you could no longer smell the blow by when beating the snot out of the engine.It would cross plowed frozen fields, and jump train tracks without a hint of blowby. Sold that poor engine to a guy who was going to put it in an I.H.Scout.He never came back,so I guess it must have met his performance expectations.

Re: Smoking 440, what is a good oil additive? - 10/28/13 11:45 AM

Put the Restore in the car and O'Rieleys 30w with Wix filter and let it run for a little bid. Smoking went down to 1/2 of what is was just on warming up the engine! Within a 15 minute drive, I could come up to a stoping and see that i was not smoking out other drivers anymore (before, you could see fumes of smoke flying by like a fog bank!). Will give it another test drive in the week when I pop on a fresh distributor, rebuilt hi output altornator and rebuild the oil pump. Heck, I feel good that my ride isn't too hooptie for me to enjoy it a bit more. thanks for the idea on the Restore additive, might save me from rebuilding my engine sooner than it needs to be.
© 2024 Moparts Forums