Moparts

I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack

Posted By: black68gtx

I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 05:49 PM

I have been chasing down what I thought to be a vacuum leak in my 440 6 pack setup. In the process the fuel delivery to the carbs has become less and less until now I have no gas to the carbs.

I checked the split at the carb inlets and nothing. I found a filter just before the pump an disconnected it on the tank side. I was expecting a lot of fuel to come out but none.

After putting air into the gas tank I can get some to come out (but not as much as I would anticipate). I did replace the pump last night, but still no fuel.

1)I'll run a hose from the pump to an open container and see what I get.

2)I think that I could run a hose from a container of gas just before the pump and see what I get

3)I'll remove the filter on the tank & pump side then blow some air into the tank to check my flow.

4)I think would then check the fuel vapor lock separator to see if I have feul coming through it.

Anybody want to take a stab at this.
Posted By: ademon

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 05:59 PM

Blow out the line from just before the pump to the tank pickup. Might be a plugged tank sending unit sock or maybe the pump pushrods or cam lobe is worn
Posted By: macmic87

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 06:03 PM

Quote:

Blow out the line from just before the pump to the tank pickup. Might be a plugged tank sending unit sock or maybe the pump pushrods or cam lobe is worn

Posted By: macmic87

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 06:08 PM

just keep it simple and work on fuel flowing starting at the tank and working piece by piece to the engine. go step by step, don't jump from here to there trying to find the problem. fuel has got to be able to flow freely to the pump. mech pumps do not have a lot of suction. fuel must be able to get there and then the pump can do its job to push it to the carbs.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 06:31 PM

The pickup line in the tank is plugged, remove it and clean it out, put a new filter sock on it when done. If it is a 5/16 pickup don't fool with it, repplace it with a new 3/8 pickup and filter/ sock
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 07:59 PM

sometimes previous owners put an 'extra' filter in the line between the tank and the engine compartment. might check for one.

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 08:01 PM

Yeah it does have an extra filter, between the tank and pump. I plan to remove it today.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/20/13 10:30 PM

Can't have a filter in front of the pump, only the strainer inside the tank should be used inside the tank before the pump. Take the filter out and connect on a long enough piece rubber hose onto the suction hose and blow through with your mouth first before using a air hose on it. That way you can tell if the strainer is clogged/restricted in the tank.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 12:48 AM

On the right track.....Start with the easy stuff first...You replaced the fuel pump....How did the fuel pump pushrod look ???
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 12:23 PM

check the rubber line from the sending unit to the hard line. Take it off and check it, it could have some cracks or pin holes that are sucking air. AMHIK!

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 05:53 PM

All of the lines checked out. I found that the pump I put on from my 383 is not sucking so I went to put the original 440 pump on and found this.
Now that I have to replace the pump my questios are
1) What is the easiest way to install the pump (71 Challenger)
2) What makes the pump lever work the shaft in the engine must side up and down but what makes the shaft travel up and down?

Attached picture 7895326-20131020_171338-1.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 06:10 PM

check this out: 440 FUEL PUMP

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 07:42 PM

That makes a lot of since.
Thanks

Attached picture 7895415-440+Fuel+Pump+_5.jpg

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 08:18 PM

what is that orange thingy? is that something you put there to hold the rod up?

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 09:23 PM

I think that's a finger applying the grease.

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 10:10 PM

oopps, i thought that was your engine! oh yeah, to answer your questions - remove fuel lines to the pump, remove bolts holding pump to block, slowly so you can grab the rod that rides on the lever. installation is the reverse using the grease trick to hold the rod in the block until you get pump bolts started. question 2 - the rod travels agains the camshaft lobe.

Re: I Am Not Getting Fuel To My Six Pack - 10/21/13 10:39 PM

I wished that I had asked this question before I spent so much time trying un-successfully install one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums