Moparts

correct driveshaft length

Posted By: hemi67

correct driveshaft length - 10/12/13 11:44 PM

Can anyone give me the correct driveshaft length for a 67 B Body (Charger) with a 4 speed and an 8-3/4 differential??

thanks
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 01:35 AM

Assuming a 383 engine, the service manual and parts book both say 52.03".

Posted By: BDW

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 05:36 AM

Some info here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4563759-PartNoDriveshafts.pdf

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 02:43 PM

Thanks. It was a 383 originally, but now has a 426 Hemi in it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 02:55 PM

I'm assuming you are searching for the correct length shaft for a bolt in deal. If your eng/trans/rear is already in I'd butt the front yoke all the way in the trans & measure C to C then subtract 3/4 to 7/8 & see how close you are to what you are considering purchasing. If you do end up having to cut one down I'd suggest shooting for an end play dimention of 3/4"-7/8" with the axle loaded not suspended. wouldn't hurt to check end play with the correct shaft installed either

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 03:17 PM

Thanks Robert. I already have a shaft in there, but I think its too short. I will measure it today and see where we are. Is 3/4 to 7/8 enough end play to compensate for suspension movement? The car is totally stock underneath except for the different engine. I am positive after having the shaft out recently that there is way more than that much end play. When I bought the car years ago, the previous owner lost the original shaft, so I found this one on E-bay. It works, but I don`t think it engages the tailshaft quite enough.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

Is 3/4 to 7/8 enough end play to compensate for suspension movement?

Yes, it dont seem like very much but it is plenty when it comes to shaft end play. Going the other way on my dd 65 dart there was not enough yoke engagement into the trans & it would vibrate on occaision so before something fubared I changed the shaft to a slightly longer one (swapped the same front yoke) & that took care of it

Re: correct driveshaft length - 10/13/13 10:37 PM

ok, after measuring the existing one, it looks like its about 1.25 inches too short. Will check into a new one tomorrow.

thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums