Moparts

Big block-manual to power steering questions

Posted By: sleddinfool

Big block-manual to power steering questions - 08/28/13 02:29 AM

Hi, I am starting to do some work on my 71 gtx..It has no power steering and I want to put it on.. I can get the gearbox, pump and lines from any auto parts store. I know I need the brackets to mount the pump to the engine. Does anybody make those? Don't really see any classified section for engine parts here. I have also heard there is some type of conversion from the manual column to a power column where the box meets the column. Anybody make those-- I am not able to find those either. Thanks Kevin
Posted By: ahy

Re: Big block-manual to power steering questions - 08/28/13 03:03 AM

Bouchillon has the brackets for the PS pump. I believe the PS column is shorter vs manual. You can find a PS column or modify yours with cut and weld. There may be other less kosher ways to get there with a manual column.

For the gear, I believe many parts store jobs are re-seal and paint. NAPA may be better, however, Firm Feel is best in my opinion. They re-work or match the gears to get the box tight. I'm running a FF stage II and like it. Firm Feel may have some advice on the column also.
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: Big block-manual to power steering questions - 08/28/13 04:36 AM

Thanks,I kind of knew the auto parts were a seal and paint deall--maybe not even a reseal, lol. I had a FF in my 67 and was happy with it. I did find a vendor here (the name escapes me now) That has a manual-power steer conversion shaft for around $175.00. Sweet, Looks Like I am going to get the frt and rear suspension all done while my body is away.. Kevin
Posted By: MrFoFody

Re: Big block-manual to power steering questions - 08/28/13 05:29 AM

Most stores carry A1 Cardone for steering boxes which are fairly decent products and probably have a lifetime warranty.
© 2024 Moparts Forums