Moparts

torsion bar sliding out of mount

Posted By: Diplomatt

torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 11:48 AM

on my 1982 cordoba, the drivers side torsion bar is sliding out of the bushing that is by the front shock. It happened when I was driving for some reason, and I almost crashed on my way back home from work. Is it the bushing and mount that needs to be replaced? Does anyone in the eastern RI/Eastern MA area know of any shop that knows older cars? Im stuck at school with no tools or anything to work on a car...
Posted By: polaraholic

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 01:02 PM

There should be a c-clip on the other end that keeps it from sliding back. A parts store should have them.
Posted By: burdar

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 01:16 PM

Quote:

There should be a c-clip on the other end that keeps it from sliding back. A parts store should have them.

Remember the Cordoba uses a transverse mounted torsion bar. I have a service manual for 1982 and will try to copy a diagram of the front suspension. I would make sure that the end of the bar isn't broken. I wouldn't think that there should be enough movement for the bar to slip out if the end of it wasn't broken off.

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 01:26 PM

Here is the diagram. There are a couple more diagrams as well. If you need to see them let me know.

Attached picture 4876164-cordoba.jpg
Posted By: polaraholic

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 01:36 PM

I guess that is a little different than my old stuff. Great info!
Posted By: moparjoe4406

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 02:23 PM

Thats good stuff,Matt I printed that info and I'll bring it tonite,hopefully its just a clip or something,if not I don't know who would have a torsion bar like that.
Posted By: Diplomatt

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 04:03 PM

Thanks for that diagram! I hope the bar itself is fine, I don't know where I would find one of those
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/13/08 05:04 PM

Bad news, that T-bar also serves as the strut rod. If it's sliding out then something is broken.

Might just be the bushing.

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/14/08 01:28 AM

Let us know what you find out. Good luck!
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/14/08 01:47 AM

I would be a little skeptical as to why it is sliding out so easily? It should have a lot of tension on it when adjusted properly. Make sure you check all your suspension parts for damage.
Posted By: moparjoe4406

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/14/08 05:54 AM

Anyone know a good frontend place in R.I. or Eastern Mass?
Posted By: 80mirada

Re: torsion bar sliding out of mount - 12/15/08 01:01 PM

The T-bar is pinned to the bushing, check www.car-parts.com there were a few on there last I checked.
© 2024 Moparts Forums