Moparts

Thrust plate and cam gear clearence

Posted By: dnd0001

Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/19/13 10:45 PM

Okay need some advice. I'm replacing the timing chain on my 340. should I be able to pull the gears off an put the new on without checking the thrust plate/cam gear clearence. The rest of the engine is fully assembled and I can't get the cam to move forward to check the required gap. Do I even need to do this or was this done when the engine was built? Can't I just put the new timing chain/sprocket on and be fine? I need to figure this out so I can put it back together.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/19/13 10:49 PM

Should be no problem...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

Okay need some advice. I'm replacing the timing chain on my 340. should I be able to pull the gears off an put the new on without checking the thrust plate/cam gear clearence. The rest of the engine is fully assembled and I can't get the cam to move forward to check the required gap. Do I even need to do this or was this done when the engine was built? Can't I just put the new timing chain/sprocket on and be fine? I need to figure this out so I can put it back together.

thats what i do, I have never had a reason to check the thrust plate on a SB with a chain/gears.

just make sure you have the gear fully seated and the cam bolt torque correct. (I use a 3/8 air impact gun and torque the bolt seating the gear)

now i do remove/inspect the thrust plate when i remove a cam. but only looking for obvious wear signs on the thrust surface.

Posted By: goldmember

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 02:48 AM

Most are never checked for proper end play and most are not a problem. Why not install and check endplay?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 02:55 AM

Quote:

Most are never checked for proper end play and most are not a problem. Why not install and check endplay?

i run junk, i dont measure any of it other than how long it lasts before i have to replace it.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 03:34 AM

unless its a roller , it wont matter. offset grind on flat tappets keeps the cam centered. a roller must have minimum clearance set.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i run junk, i dont measure any of it other than how long it lasts before i have to replace it.

Most are not a problem and yes I have built a ton without an issue.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Thrust plate and cam gear clearence - 08/20/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

You can not check the cam end play with the rocker arms and pushrods putting pressure on the lifters Put the new gears and chain on and make sure and torque the cam retianing bolt to the proper torque, make sure the fuel pump ecentric is installed correctly on the cam key also
© 2024 Moparts Forums