Moparts

Bench testing a radio?

Posted By: MrBelvedere2

Bench testing a radio? - 08/18/13 03:23 AM

Hi guys, I have a 1965 plymouth belvedere. I found the right am/fm radio at a swap meet. The guy says it worked, but I want to make sure before I go and put it in the car. So how do you go about bench testing the radio?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Bench testing a radio? - 08/18/13 03:45 AM

Batt positive terminal to radio power in. Batt neg terminal to radio case. Loudspeaker out wires (2) to a loudspeaker. antennae plugged in to radio. Not sure if a jumper is needed between antennae case & radio case
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Bench testing a radio? - 08/18/13 04:29 AM

Quote:

Batt positive terminal to radio power in. Batt neg terminal to radio case. Loudspeaker out wires (2) to a loudspeaker. antennae plugged in to radio. Not sure if a jumper is needed between antennae case & radio case

no need to ground the antenna. There should be enough signal to hear stations on both am and fm with just the antenna plugged in.
If you do not have an antenna, put a small screw driver into the Motorola antenna jack making contact with the inside connector and not shorting out to the case. Touch the screwdriver blade with your finger and you should get any strong station around you. You are acting as the antenna. Most FM and the stronger AM stations should come through.

Craig
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Bench testing a radio? - 08/18/13 05:29 AM

If you don't hear anything , let me know .

Greg
© 2024 Moparts Forums