Moparts

Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit

Posted By: hemidart1

Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 06:38 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-6-694/applications/make/plymouth?prefilter=1

Would this carb work on mildly built 360(8.6 -1 , hughes cam). I am wondering if this carb is the original style for the 273 Commando. I am building a 360 to look like a 273 Commando-right down to the valve covers and correct breather. I am assuming this carb would fit an original 273 Commando air breather.

Any feedback would be great.

thanks
Al.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 06:51 PM

$300? That's a lot of bread.......

It's a Carter AFB and they basically all look the same.

I'd look at a new Edelbrock 625. Take off the Edelbrock nameplate, and you have a new carb that's also bigger than the 273 carb and more in line with a 360's needs. You may need to do a couple of things for linkage and choke.

R.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 07:11 PM

The carb pictured is not a Mopar carb, it looks like a Pontiac unit (fuel outlet should be on the passenger rear for a Mopar). An actual 273 single four AFB looks very unique, they also have the smaller air horn (unlike modern air horn AVS/Edelbrocks) so with a stock air cleaner you'll need a small dia air horn AFB.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 07:21 PM

So, SSH, What is the largest carb that will fit under the 273's air cleaner?

How difficult is it to find a "real" 273 carb?

How much would it cost the OP to have you do such a carb?
Or the largest carb mentioned above?

I am assuming the OP wants it to "look" original, but I don't believe he's talking about looking original to a concours judge. So what's the best way to go to feed that 360 and still keep it looking like a 273 to the casual bystander?

Would it be possible to modify the stock air cleaner base to work with the later larger OD airhorns?

R.
Posted By: hemidart1

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Or the largest carb mentioned above?

I am assuming the OP wants it to "look" original, but I don't believe he's talking about looking original to a concours judge. So what's the best way to go to feed that 360 and still keep it looking like a 273 to the casual bystander?

Would it be possible to modify the stock air cleaner base to work with the later larger OD airhorns?

R.

yeah -what he said

I need a carb that will fit the original air cleaner
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/15/13 08:09 PM

4 5/8" diameter air horn is the opening limit, the largest stock AFB's are roughly 600cfm, most are less.

Finding one might take some searching

Or the largest carb mentioned above? I will restore any customer supplied good core AFB to "like new" condition for $399.00. I can also build clones just like my Hemi clones which will have as much as 800 cfm, they are based on new style Edelbrock AVS carb bases with vintage 4 5/8" tops. This way you can still use your original air cleaner, all other stock parts fit as they should, you get a carb that looks and runs as good as a new one and uses readily available modern jets and rods. These are $599.00 plus shipping, built to order.

I am assuming the OP wants it to "look" original, but I don't believe he's talking about looking original to a concours judge. So what's the best way to go to feed that 360 and still keep it looking like a 273 to the casual bystander? The clones I mentioned above

Would it be possible to modify the stock air cleaner base to work with the later larger OD airhorns? Sure, anything can be hacked up, but I wouldn't do that to an original 273 air cleaner
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/16/13 06:52 AM

4131's are plentiful. They are small tops and were designed to feed a 383 to 440. They might be kind of small on the CFM's. Maybe 500?

That carb in the ad? Read that might not look like the actual unit.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Carb question-UREMCO carbs from Summit - 08/16/13 01:25 PM

Quote:

That carb in the ad? Read that might not look like the actual unit.

You'd think they'd use the best looking example in the picture, maybe they did.
© 2024 Moparts Forums